996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Why aren't K26 turbos used on higher peformance packages similar to TTP?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 11:04 AM
02TurboX50 is infamous around these parts
Why aren't K26 turbos used on higher peformance packages similar to TTP?

I just noticed that many of the tuners use the K24 Turbo for 600hp packages and then you the K16 housing for 600+hp packages. I assume this is to minimize turbo lag, but TTP out of Germany uses the K26 turbos for their 600+hp packages. They make a little less power up until 3500rpms, but then the turbos spool and the power comes on VERY STRONG!

If you think about it, if I am drag racing or doing high speed freeway jaunts, I am always over 3500rpms; especially once I get moving, so I don't think I will miss anything below 3500rpms.

This brings me to my question:
If TTP uses these turbos on their 750hp package, why aren't any of the tuners out here using this setup. Take a look at the TTP dynos looking at K16 Turbos, K24 Turbos, and K26 Turbos. The power differences down low are not that different after all..

Thoughts???

http://www.t-t-p.de/english/996turbo.php

Old 07-12-2004, 11:15 AM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
We kind of use a K26 turbo on our kit....
For our level 4 kit we have turbos made for us by KKK. They are K26 Cool Housings and K24 Hot Housings, which are then ported and polished with larger impelers. These things pull extremely hard (esp. up top) and don't "run outta steam".
Not sure who else uses these turbos...
Evan

Last edited by AMG ETR; 07-15-2004 at 12:55 AM.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:21 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
It all has to do with what you are using the car for. Those turbo's are for top speed driving over long periods. They are not suited for acceleration runs. Do you know the A/R ratio of the turbo's TTP is using? Most likely they have alot of lag. You can't just look at 3500 rpm's. To get good response above the 3500 rpm range you would have to be constantly changing gears at 6000 to 6500 rpm's.

Old 07-12-2004, 11:49 AM
CJV-
Good points. However, if you are doing an all out acceleration run through the gears or even a single gear pull (ie 3rd on the highway doing a side by side race) aren't you going to be above 3500rpms all the time? Above this rpm range, if you look at the TTP dyno the car just starts pulling and never ends. If you compare it to the tq and hp from the tuners from the US, the 5000+rpm range seems to 'poop out' for lack of a better term. Now, if you were starting a race from idle, then I wholeheartedly agree that a K16 or K24 Turbo could get a big jump on a K26 Turbo. However, I would think that, with the right program, it looks like TTP has a serious power climb from 4000-6500 rpms and just keeps going...

Does anyone have any first hand experience dealing with TTP? Are they the real deal or newcomers?
Thx.

Old 07-12-2004, 12:20 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally posted by 02TurboX50
CJV-
Good points. However, if you are doing an all out acceleration run through the gears or even a single gear pull (ie 3rd on the highway doing a side by side race) aren't you going to be above 3500rpms all the time? Above this rpm range, if you look at the TTP dyno the car just starts pulling and never ends. If you compare it to the tq and hp from the tuners from the US, the 5000+rpm range seems to 'poop out' for lack of a better term. Now, if you were starting a race from idle, then I wholeheartedly agree that a K16 or K24 Turbo could get a big jump on a K26 Turbo. However, I would think that, with the right program, it looks like TTP has a serious power climb from 4000-6500 rpms and just keeps going...

Does anyone have any first hand experience dealing with TTP? Are they the real deal or newcomers?
Thx.
They have an advantage for straight line acceleration depending on the A/R ratio being used. Don't try successfully use them on a twisty course of any kind. One down shift or upshift below 3500 rpm's and they are dead meat.

In addition, don't forget about hybrid turbo's. Machined 16/24's hot side and Garrett compressor side. They will kick butt on 26's.

Old 07-12-2004, 12:24 PM
cjv
EL 750 has a wild 996tt prepared by TTP. Internals and heads were also done.

Old 07-12-2004, 05:52 PM
EL750 is infamous around these parts
My boost starts around 2600rpm, max around 4500. Very hard to modulate. Max torque@5150 but still explosive till redline. In the twistys with good pavement and tires, car drives like a cart, using throttle, kinda fun. I always get wheelspin at 110mph. ON BAD PAVEMENT , the car is extremely dangerous without psm, even in a straight line. I am setting up a few videos . Will post soon. Need to step down brakes in order to go back to 18" with R compound tires. Will also add some kind of boost controling mechanism to be on the safe side. This car is NOT forgiving anymore..

Last edited by EL750; 07-12-2004 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:21 AM
EL750-
Are you using the TTP K26 Turbos?
Wheelspin at 110mph means you must be making some serious horsepower!

How is the boost levels through the mid rpm changes and after changing gears?
Thx.

Old 07-14-2004, 10:28 PM
Here's a response I just received from TTP after I inquired about their headers and turbo choice for their performance package.

Anyone have any thoughts or does this generate any more questions???

......The headers make more power (on the present stage approx. 15 HP- I have a Stage IV kit from EOMS) because the back pressure in front of the turbochargers is lower. The next upgrade are K26/24 turbochargers. These turbochargers make a better response than X50 because only the compressor side is bigger (K26). This means per turn the compressor has more air than before. As the hot side is almost the same as before, you have a better response and no lag. The conversion to this changes makes only sense with our intake pipes, because you have with the stock system a vacuum of 10mb on front of the charger. Our system lowers it down to 50mb. It means you have no air restrictor effect. A further result of this pipes is a lower air temperature. If you are familiar with physics, you know why. The rods have not to be upgrade until 630 HP and 7.150 rpm.

Old 07-15-2004, 06:18 AM
SO...what do you guys think about the TTP response?

Old 07-15-2004, 07:11 AM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
They have the same turbos we do....they pull extremely hard and I love um....
What kind of response are you looking for???
I am not sure I buy all that intake stuff, however, we did just develop our own alumiun/flex hose intake that was dynoed at an almost 25BHP upgrade in Germany!! The first US kit will be on my car within the next couple week!!
Evan

Last edited by AMG ETR; 07-15-2004 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:12 AM
Rob
Rob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of light
Anybody know which exhaust TTP uses? The black GT2 on their site sounds really good. TIA

Old 07-15-2004, 10:25 AM
Exotic Performance
xico is infamous around these parts
TUBI exhaust

the best sounding exhaust on the market in my opinion is on my car now (TUBI) , i tried Tec-art and FVD with no cats before. I am trying to get a group buy price for those interested.

Old 07-15-2004, 12:50 PM
cjv
Re: TUBI exhaust

Originally posted by xico
the best sounding exhaust on the market in my opinion is on my car now (TUBI) , i tried Tec-art and FVD with no cats before. I am trying to get a group buy price for those interested.
Sorry xico, but the best sounding 996tt exhaust, bar anything is on my car. It was made by Europipe and according to Europipe it will never be duplicated. It is a Europipe 85 mm exhaust.

Old 07-15-2004, 04:08 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Re: TUBI exhaust

Originally posted by xico
I've heard the Tubi, don't know what sort of poer it makes but Dayyyyammm it sounds good.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why aren't K26 turbos used on higher peformance packages similar to TTP?