996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

transmission swap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 06:22 PM
UAE996TT is infamous around these parts
transmission swap

what does somebody need if he wants to swap from tiptronic transmission to manual on 996TT ? anybody done it ?

Last edited by UAE996TT; 04-20-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:29 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Somebody need a different car that come with manual.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Somebody need a different car that come with manual.
i like ur font color

Old 04-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
You can do it, but it sounds expensive as all get out.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:19 PM
slant911 is infamous around these parts
I'd say the cost and aggravation is not worth it. Just sell your current car and get a manual.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:03 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by UAE996TT
what does somebody need if he wants to swap from tiptronic transmission to manual on 996TT ? anybody done it ?
not worth the trouble, shouldnt have made that mistake the first time

Old 04-20-2008, 08:30 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
I would think ECU, transmission, shifter linkages, axles and maybe wiring harness but I am talking with all ignorance here! Too expensive IMO unless you can sell the other parts. Living where we do, I am not sure you will find the skills to do it (on the programming side of things).

P.S. If you know of anyone who has a used manual gearbox for sale that you don't need let me know pls.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:24 AM
Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !Craig Is a GOD !
At one time, I contemplated swapping my Tiptronic tranny (modified by 9ff) for a manual. Both Stephen Kasper at Imagine Auto (www.imagineauto.com) and Loren Beggs at Nine11Design (http://www.nine11design.com/) determined that it could be done and were willing to do it for me. You should contact Stephen or Loren for more info.

BTW, if you are going to make the switch, don't install a standard six speed manual. Rather, install a sequential shifting tranny. There are sequential trannies available that fit right into a 996TT. They are not cheap, and they are loud, but they shift considerably faster than a standard six speed tranny. Loren has used them on some of his cars and he can get them (I suspect Stephen can source them as well).

FWIW, my 9ff modified Tip worked great, so if you want to stay with the Tip, send it over to 9ff and they will greatly improve it. That being said, a properly driven six speed will shift faster (and have much less drive train loss) and a sequential will shift much faster.

Regards,

Craig

Old 04-21-2008, 05:09 AM
Originally Posted by Craig
At one time, I contemplated swapping my Tiptronic tranny (modified by 9ff) for a manual. Both Stephen Kasper at Imagine Auto (www.imagineauto.com) and Loren Beggs at Nine11Design (http://www.nine11design.com/) determined that it could be done and were willing to do it for me. You should contact Stephen or Loren for more info.

BTW, if you are going to make the switch, don't install a standard six speed manual. Rather, install a sequential shifting tranny. There are sequential trannies available that fit right into a 996TT. They are not cheap, and they are loud, but they shift considerably faster than a standard six speed tranny. Loren has used them on some of his cars and he can get them (I suspect Stephen can source them as well).

FWIW, my 9ff modified Tip worked great, so if you want to stay with the Tip, send it over to 9ff and they will greatly improve it. That being said, a properly driven six speed will shift faster (and have much less drive train loss) and a sequential will shift much faster.

Regards,

Craig

thanks for info's , ill consider the sequential shifting tranny or 9ff

Old 04-21-2008, 05:32 AM
Originally Posted by Jean
I would think ECU, transmission, shifter linkages, axles and maybe wiring harness but I am talking with all ignorance here! Too expensive IMO unless you can sell the other parts. Living where we do, I am not sure you will find the skills to do it (on the programming side of things).

P.S. If you know of anyone who has a used manual gearbox for sale that you don't need let me know pls.
so far i dont know if there is one for sale around but i know one place to look for. if i find one ill let u know .by the way somebody in town fixing the sequential shifting on 996tt .have u seen it ?

Old 04-24-2008, 01:03 AM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Craig

Regards,

Craig
what was the cost for the modification of the Tip at 9ff ? thanks

Old 04-24-2008, 06:37 AM
Originally Posted by alex55
what was the cost for the modification of the Tip at 9ff ? thanks
as far as i know its around 10 k ,they take ur transmission and give u an upgreaded one .. lets c what Craig says

no romanica

Old 04-24-2008, 07:16 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UAE996TT
so far i dont know if there is one for sale around but i know one place to look for. if i find one ill let u know .by the way somebody in town fixing the sequential shifting on 996tt .have u seen it ?
Great, thanks.

No I did not see it, I am assuming these are the cartronic devices that someone must be installing in the region, not real sequential gearboxes.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by Jean
Great, thanks.

No I did not see it, I am assuming these are the cartronic devices that someone must be installing in the region, not real sequential gearboxes.
thats right not the real one . i went to the event today and i gave u a call .

Old 04-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Oh damn! sorry I did not recognize the number when I saw the missed call, I will call you right away. cheers

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: transmission swap