996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need a clutch that can handle 700+hp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 01:22 AM
BLKM3 is infamous around these parts
Need a clutch that can handle 700+hp

I am looking for a clutch that can handle 700+hp and also somewhat suitable for daily driving.

The Evo Stg 3 clutch is having problems with my car. Everytime I come to a stop, it would be impossible to engage first gear or reverse. If I turn the car off I can engage the gears. Once I get the car rolling, I can shift into any gear.

Sharkwerks installed a second Evo Clutch and it is still giving me problems.. What do you guys recommend?

Old 04-22-2008, 01:33 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BLKM3
I am looking for a clutch that can handle 700+hp and also somewhat suitable for daily driving.

The Evo Stg 3 clutch is having problems with my car. Everytime I come to a stop, it would be impossible to engage first gear or reverse. If I turn the car off I can engage the gears. Once I get the car rolling, I can shift into any gear.

Sharkwerks installed a second Evo Clutch and it is still giving me problems.. What do you guys recommend?
It may not be the clutch.... first make sure you do not have any master/slave leaks... if not, then did this start right after you installed the clutch? If so, it seems something is up with the engagement...
Another thing, it can be you Tranny....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-22-2008, 01:34 AM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
John that really sucks. I'm curious to hear what people recommend for you as that Evo clutch seems to be what everyone uses on 700+hp.

The new kit running great otherwise?

Old 04-22-2008, 01:39 AM
BLKM3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
It may not be the clutch.... first make sure you do not have any master/slave leaks... if not, then did this start right after you installed the clutch? If so, it seems something is up with the engagement...
I have the GT2 Slave/Cylinder. Alex @ Sharkwerks said everything was fine and they rebled the system. This only happens when the car gets warmed up. When its cold, I can engage, but once warm I can't. The transmission was fine with the stock clutch??

Originally Posted by flash68
John that really sucks. I'm curious to hear what people recommend for you as that Evo clutch seems to be what everyone uses on 700+hp.

The new kit running great otherwise?
Hey Dave,

LOL, I wish could tell you how it feels. The moment I picked up the car from Sharkwerks, I had to drive straightback. I can't boost her till I get around 800 miles to break the clutch in.

I will give you a call once everything is done. Good to hear from you!

-John

Old 04-22-2008, 02:01 AM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Hey Dave,

LOL, I wish could tell you how it feels. The moment I picked up the car from Sharkwerks, I had to drive straightback. I can't boost her till I get around 800 miles to break the clutch in.

I will give you a call once everything is done. Good to hear from you!

-John
LOL - my bad John. Yeah that wasn't a very well thought out question!

Yeah I hope to be doing the 660 kit by Shark in the next couple months. Hope you get your issue worked out soon. Those are gonna be a tough 800 miles waiting to drop the hammer!

Good luck.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:16 AM
silvershark is infamous around these parts
Clutch problem

Originally Posted by MARKSKI
I had a very similar situation after clutch installation. It turns out that
the clutch master cylinder was not holding pressure to engage the clutch.
Evidently upon bleeding the seals started failing. The tech said the system
is somewhat delicate and does not always fair well when bleeding and continuous pumping. My car had 34K on the clock and all weak links have
surfaced with the Sachs 4100lb pressure plate. Now the accumulator is
failing (makes clutch pedal easy at start up) Good Luck

Old 04-22-2008, 07:02 AM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Are most of you guys going with a unsprung hub?

Old 04-22-2008, 07:30 AM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
BLKM3,

Take a look at this thread for an option that I like a lot...

http://69.13.120.185/forums/showthread.php?t=126760

Old 04-22-2008, 08:25 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Could be a bad Master right out of the box. The QC on the replacements doesn't seem that great, I had problems with a fresh one as well that I thought was causing some engagment issues, but turned out to be the seals in the master.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:38 AM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough

Real simple: Sachs race engineering #999-973=disc and #999752=PP

Old 04-22-2008, 09:12 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Bear in mind John has the EVO GT2 Slave/master conversion so he has _no_ power assist. What we're finding out this newer disk from clutchmasters is only working with a power assisted system as opposed to the set up we want because of the spring specifications We've got another solution so in goes numero three John. Hope to have it back in operation by tomorrow. Too afraid to test it with those loud pipes (or lack of lol) you have! Don't want to get pulled over!

Last edited by sharkster; 04-22-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:27 AM
exoticalex has a spectacular aura aboutexoticalex has a spectacular aura about
You dick John, did you pick the car up?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:35 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by LiNks
Are most of you guys going with a unsprung hub?
I saw your car up on the lift 2 hours ago... Lookin good!

Old 04-22-2008, 09:54 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by exoticalex
You dick John, did you pick the car up?
LOL leave him alone! He was on the fence for a while... You'll "hear" him coming. It's a LOT louder now with the new turbos

Old 04-22-2008, 10:26 AM
exoticalex has a spectacular aura aboutexoticalex has a spectacular aura about
Yeh I know, he spilled the beans last week. Little ****. Well I was gonna bring the GT2 by and see if you could roll my fenders (if you have the tool). I talked with John yesterday and wanted him to call and ask you...and I figured I would kill 2 birds with one stone and drop him off to pick up his car at the same time......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need a clutch that can handle 700+hp