996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Want to see some SERIOUS Brakes????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 04:25 PM
fgaillard is a glorious beacon of lightfgaillard is a glorious beacon of lightfgaillard is a glorious beacon of lightfgaillard is a glorious beacon of lightfgaillard is a glorious beacon of light
Hello Jean, I have Brembo GT 6 pistons front with 380mm and 4 pistons on the back and they are awesome on my heavy 996TT. The only thing, they need 19'' wheels. In which case there is another "brembo" alternative, the GTR kit. Check out the link from AWE and look at their results, pretty impressive. Note that the rotor is the same than the GT kit. TC http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shar...es&IL=996ttgtr

Old 04-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Miles965UK is infamous around these parts
Woops my mistake- I have the GTR kit!

Old 04-25-2008, 07:16 PM
roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !
I have the Rotora 12-piston kit on my Z. It is a beautiful kit and I have run it at the track and on the Tail of the Dragon in the mountains of NC. It is a good kit with incredible stopping power. However I had major pad knock back on the Dragon as well as the track. They have recently released knock back springs and/or modified the rotor design as well as track pads for this kit. With those changes it has potential for track use. They have quite a bite but I still prefer my PCCBs.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:22 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Are those 18's that he painted or are they RS rims?

Old 04-25-2008, 07:28 PM
roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !roncfpz Is a GOD !
I would imagine they are RS rims since this kit requires at least 19" wheels.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:02 AM
E36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of lightE36-RAT is a glorious beacon of light
Those are some sick setup's!

Old 04-26-2008, 06:23 AM
viprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond repute
Just SICK.
I want those......

Old 04-26-2008, 09:27 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vividracing
You are saying there is no advantage for the 6piston monoblock over the stock 4piston????

The rotors are all 2 piece so better venting. Larger diameter, and each rotor weighs 7lbs less per corner. Less rotational weight is much better. The 6piston MONOBLOCK is way more rigid then the 1 piece cast Porsche caliper. The 6 piston offers much greater clamping force and surface area. Even tested against the OEM 6piston GT3 brakes they still out brake that car....
Dan

I am aware of all the technicalities and differences between rotors, calipers etc.. However, yes it seems that the 6 piston monoblock will not do much difference if any. The only serious upgrade are the cup brakes.

If there is an independent test of all these different setups in any magazines that prove this wrong I would be very happy to read it. A shorter braking distance conducted with one high speed run is a good indicator, however not seriously meaningful, what you need to know is how they withstand the heat and still perform time after time in a track environment for example. This is where I was told that the difference is not there and worth it.

Rotating mass of brake discs is also important, but overrated for 99% of us, a lighter tire would make much more difference.

But back to these 12 piston calipers, any independent data driven tests out there? It would be great if they deliver as they should, I will be the first in line to get a set once I see serious data. They look amazing. When I read "serious brakes" on the title I thought it was referring to their perofrmance, so data would be nice.

Guys, I agree, The GTR are a different story all together, but not street friendly unfortunately..

Last edited by Jean; 04-26-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:53 AM
Gary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of lightGary II is a glorious beacon of light
Brembo discontinued that brake kit. They now offer the 6piston monoblock with the 380mm rotor. getting that under a 18 is iffy...
Yo guys,

Just a heads up...the NEW 6-piston Monobloc actually requires less space within the wheel than the older 8-piston system did.

If there was an 18" wheel that for over the 15" 8-piston system, I'd be curious to know what model, size, and offset it was, because that wheel too would allow for the 15" 6-piston Monobloc.

While it is a "chore" to find an 18" wheel that fits over a 15" brake kit, there are some out there. The CCW C14 is a great example. I've also heard great things about the Champion wheels, but have yet to confirm it.

Any information you can share, I'll add to our database.

Find and confirm an 18" that fits over either of our 15" Monobloc (6 or 8-piston) Gran Turismo kits, and I'll send you a t-shirt and some other swag.

Gary C.
Brembo / Race Technologies
Ph: 888.Brembo.8 ext.118
gary@racetechnologies.com

Old 04-26-2008, 10:03 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Gary great info.

As to wheels fitting 15" rotors, 18" BBS Magnesium and Cargraphic racing wheels both fit 380mm and 8 piston Brembos..

Last edited by Jean; 04-26-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:12 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
The 9FF center locking wheels fit over the 15inch rotor in the 18". But they look lame!

Old 04-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Miles965UK is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Gary II
Yo guys,

Just a heads up...the NEW 6-piston Monobloc actually requires less space within the wheel than the older 8-piston system did.

If there was an 18" wheel that for over the 15" 8-piston system, I'd be curious to know what model, size, and offset it was, because that wheel too would allow for the 15" 6-piston Monobloc.

While it is a "chore" to find an 18" wheel that fits over a 15" brake kit, there are some out there. The CCW C14 is a great example. I've also heard great things about the Champion wheels, but have yet to confirm it.

Any information you can share, I'll add to our database.

Find and confirm an 18" that fits over either of our 15" Monobloc (6 or 8-piston) Gran Turismo kits, and I'll send you a t-shirt and some other swag.

Gary C.
Brembo / Race Technologies
Ph: 888.Brembo.8 ext.118
gary@racetechnologies.com

I thought at first my brakes were GT but I was wrong- they are GTRs and they do fit 18s BBS Split rims.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Thank for the insight Gary!

Those are 19" RS wheels in black.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:41 AM
topcat4 is infamous around these parts
Brembo discontinued that brake kit. They now offer the 6piston monoblock with the 380mm rotor. getting that under a 18 is iffy...
I have the 380mm rotors with 6 piston brembo monoblocs on my GT2RS and they clear the 18" BBS race wheels.
Also have the 380mm rotors with the factory "big reds" for 380's on my 993RSR and 993 GT2 and they are both close , but clear the 18" wheels.
It's more an issue with the inside of the wheel centre spokes clearing the outside face of the caliper than anywhere else.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:33 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I really don't want to get into a pissing contest by making this statement, so I'm saying that upfront Dan...

You hammered the Stoptechs, but I know of a number of guys running them with GREAT success on the C6 Corvette Z06. Is it possible that some of the problems associated with what you're seeing aren't due to poor choice in rotor/pad combo? The guys I know running stoptechs are running the slotted two piece 15inchers and seeing very padfriendly wear at track events...

Mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Want to see some SERIOUS Brakes????