996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Carrera GT on Ebay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 04:37 AM
Banned
Chordate is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by ben, lj
LOL, it's WAY too early for the sub MSRP deals. Dealers with "A" car on their showroom (none have more than that and VERY few even have rec'd one so far) have them because they are looking for well in excess of MSRP.
Well this guy is only asking 38 grand over sticker...

Old 07-14-2004, 04:40 AM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
Originally posted by Y65MPH
Paul Miller Porsche, not sure of number. Car is there and they want to deal.
Hahaha, the internet is great regarding the accuracy of information sometimes. I called Paul Miller Porsche and they turned down $ 680,000.00. They have had two other offers over MSRP, but $ 680k was highest.

So yes, they are taking offers, but $ 680,000 ain't going to buy their CGT. Real desperate to get it off their floor and make new room for other cars I'd say.

BTW, they have a 2001 TT for $ 97k and did you also say that 2001 TTs were going for $ 70s.

Last edited by Doug H; 07-14-2004 at 04:43 AM.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:08 AM
Shawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond repute
I have been told by a salesman at Champion that it is crazy to pay over sticker for a CGT because the production numbers are high enough that they will probably not hold their value.

Old 07-14-2004, 05:30 AM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
"Well this guy is only asking 38 grand over sticker.."

how does an example of a nearly 10% premium to MSRP negate my comment that sub MSRP deals are a ways off?

Old 07-14-2004, 05:48 AM
Y65MPH is infamous around these partsY65MPH is infamous around these parts
Why would anyone even pay MSRP for that car. It is about $200000 over priced. Wait a year, this thing will make a GT2 look like a good investment.

Old 07-14-2004, 05:55 AM
"Wait a year, this thing will make a GT2 look like a good investment."

That may very well be the case, but you were obviously smoking crack when you authored this:

"There are many out there not spoken for, and many on dealer lots. I know of a local store here in NJ "taking offers" to get rid of the one taking up space on there floor."

So tell us, how many CGTs WORLDWIDE have been produced to date?

Old 07-14-2004, 06:41 AM
Banned
"Well this guy is only asking 38 grand over sticker.."

how does an example of a nearly 10% premium to MSRP negate my comment that sub MSRP deals are a ways off?

Its getting lower and lower... the fact that they went from selling at 200k over, to 38k over in as little as a month is not a good sign for future prices...

Old 07-14-2004, 06:42 AM
Banned
"Wait a year, this thing will make a GT2 look like a good investment."

That may very well be the case, but you were obviously smoking crack when you authored this:

"There are many out there not spoken for, and many on dealer lots. I know of a local store here in NJ "taking offers" to get rid of the one taking up space on there floor."

So tell us, how many CGTs WORLDWIDE have been produced to date?
Probobly 100

Old 07-14-2004, 07:25 AM
Doug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud ofDoug H has much to be proud of
I agree its carzy what people are asking for these, but if I could buy one for under sticker it would be tempting right now. Looks like their enough people out there willing to pay some premium that you could drive a little and sell latter and break even or make a little profit if you did not hold on to it for too long or put too many miles on it.

Looking at the other vehicles (and the nice 70s model trailer) this guy on ebay is selling right now, I wonder if the ad is valid. If dealers are really getting $ 680,000 offers, that ebay car would be sold.

Old 07-14-2004, 07:51 AM
Holger B is infamous around these parts
"I wonder if the ad is valid. If dealers are really getting $ 680,000 offers, that ebay car would be sold."

My thoughts exactly.

Of course, the amount that dealers tell you they are getting in offers could be pure BS to sucker in someone who didn't do their homework. It's a page straight out of "Screwing the Customer 101". We've all witnessed it, some have even fallen for it.

As with all hot new models, what the dealer gets for the first one or two usually has no correlation with what he gets for the rest. Maybe we've passed the inflection point and these eBay fire sales will set the real price...

Old 07-14-2004, 07:53 AM
Y65MPH is infamous around these partsY65MPH is infamous around these parts
[B

[/B]

Don't be silly Ben, crack is wacked. How many people are willing to ante up the cash? Make a fair offer, and you too can be a proud new owner of a CGT.

If it is in the showroom, on the floorplan, then it needs a home, pronto.

Only fools pay over MSRP.

P.S. I own several car dealerships

Old 07-14-2004, 08:02 AM
ESK
Hick from NH
ESK is infamous around these parts
My prediction is they'll be below list real soon. Remember, Porsche is talking about building 1,500 cars over a 3 year period with maybe half coming to the U.S. Here's a guy with a "buy it now" price of only $38k over list. He must have already shopped the car pretty heavily (or he's pretty desperate) to put it on E-bay for such a small margin. You don't suppose he'd take less if he had a cash offer? The guy I bought my 360 from who happens to be a close friend claims he had one bought for $10k over, but the guy renegged because someone was willing to pay him $15k over. And, Porsche has built maybe 5% of its entire production.

Old 07-14-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by ESK
My prediction is they'll be below list real soon. Remember, Porsche is talking about building 1,500 cars over a 3 year period with maybe half coming to the U.S. Here's a guy with a "buy it now" price of only $38k over list. He must have already shopped the car pretty heavily (or he's pretty desperate) to put it on E-bay for such a small margin. You don't suppose he'd take less if he had a cash offer? The guy I bought my 360 from who happens to be a close friend claims he had one bought for $10k over, but the guy renegged because someone was willing to pay him $15k over. And, Porsche has built maybe 5% of its entire production.
I doubt the guy shopped it heavily, because I tend to doubt this guy is for real. When I offered $ 10k off list for the Paul Morris car, they guy laughed at me and said they had three better offers. I then asked him what range I would need to be in if I wanted to buy the car and he said $ 680,000 was rejected. Definitely not good sales strategy if really willing to take MSRP for the car.

Below list. Hard to say. To me it does not seem like there are that many people in the US that would be in this type of market, but you would think Porsche would have done some homework before deciding how many to build.

Come on big spenders, there is someone on this board with $$$ to see if that ebay add is for real.

Ben, you wanted one didn't you.

Old 07-14-2004, 08:43 AM
"Probobly 100"

Yep, about half of which are in the US. Given there are those like Seinfeld, Allen, the Porsche museum, etc (ie: cars that will never be in speculators hands or even for sale), it would make this seem an absurd statement:

I don't care if the author is the Wayne Heizenga of auto dealerships, the market is just not remotely that saturated - yet. My guess is the same as most others - namely the car WILL "eventually" be selling below MSRP. That time probably won't be this year though and "might" happen in the second year production. That said, given the measely $20 to $25k dealer profit (at MSRP) on these $450K cars, how much below MSRP do people think P-car dealers are going sell them? Additionally, it takes a $50k non-refundable deposit to get one of these from PCNA (at least of the first two years worth of run). Maybe Porsche is planning on keeping the deposits of those who cancel if the market goes sour so they can subsidize below MSRP sales with the dealers. Most of this save for the % pathetic profit margin and firm meaningful deposit was (is) true of the GT2 which was also a more limited production car and it's resale sucks ***. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out though.

"Ben, you wanted one didn't you."

Mine goes into production next month. Even if the Ebay seller was letting it go at MSRP (fat chance), I'd lose my $50k deposit if I were to buy it (meaing I'd pay $50k over MSRP). Unless I could get a car for well over $50k under MSRP, I'll wait til Nov delivery. I don't pay over sticker.

Last edited by ben, lj; 07-14-2004 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:23 AM
Congrats. What color and options if any are offered.

That is a truly awesome car and its amazing that such an awesome car will be produced in such large numbers, but that does not detract in my opinion from the car or its abilities. At least it should help out if you have maintenance or heaven forbid an accident as there should be parts on hand to get these things serviced or repaired.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carrera GT on Ebay