996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

how does the 996tt AWD system differ from the 997tt ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 12:30 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
This thread should be moved to the milk section. .

Old 04-22-2013, 01:57 AM
Charsiu is infamous around these partsCharsiu is infamous around these parts
I.... I was searching for AWD information and now I know too much about goat milk D:

Old 04-22-2013, 08:34 AM
docboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond repute
This thread should be a sticky. I never knew AWD and goat milk were related.

Would be awesome if other people can recommence posts on the AWD effectiveness of 996tt/997tt in rain/snow/low traction conditions.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:11 AM
NoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by docboy
This thread should be a sticky. I never knew AWD and goat milk were related.

Would be awesome if other people can recommence posts on the AWD effectiveness of 996tt/997tt in rain/snow/low traction conditions.
Even more useful might be a thread on the different exhaust systems and free-range chicken.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:33 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
So if you can stop your front wheels by hand than your viscous clutch is most likely fried.
Originally Posted by Steve K ny
^yup
as i said earlier, if it does work, its on the track.
and if anyone wants the math done.. the answer is stock miles 1 mile ahead of rear tires if cruising at 80mph.

so... now that we've all accepted this as truth... who's gonna be first to go rwd ?
steve, are you 100% positive that your car is functioning properly ? you said you could stop the front wheels with your hand

Old 04-22-2013, 05:54 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
i am 110% positive.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:29 PM
docboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond repute
/\ I thought you were joking. The 996tt is
AWD right? Why isn't your front tires spinning? I youtubed a few videos of 996tt in the snow and they seem to do well.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:29 PM
S4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really niceS4corrado996TT is just really nice
Thumbs up

Tks everyone for such great discussion! However, how does 996t comparing with 997t's AWD system remains unclear?

Old 04-26-2013, 12:41 PM
jumper5836 has a spectacular aura aboutjumper5836 has a spectacular aura about
The 996 awd system does work. My left rear hit coolant coming out of a corner, I'd didn't even know this until the next lap where I saw the coolant. But at the time I exited the corner and hit the throttle and instead of the normal acceleration you'd expect. I saw the PSM flash as the one rear tire spun, half the power transferred to the front and I thought at the time I just blew my engine. A few seconds later for the next corner full power returned, that's when I took a cool down lap to figure out what just happened as then saw the spill. AWD does work.

The 997 has an electronic AWD system. The computer works out when to transfer power to each wheel by monitoring wheel and yaw with sensors. It is very advanced compared to the 996 which is straight mechanical and not intelligent.
The engineers program the computer to manage the way the computer will control the system. 997.1 is their first gen and it's said to be a bit restrictive and early. 997.2 has a updated program which allows for a little yaw/fun before it starts cutting in. I am sure the next version will be even better and maybe will we see the ability to switch programs depending on what the driver says the road conditions are.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Nadurra2008 is infamous around these parts
Yes, they are in fact different.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by jumper5836
The 996 awd system does work. My left rear hit coolant coming out of a corner, I'd didn't even know this until the next lap where I saw the coolant. But at the time I exited the corner and hit the throttle and instead of the normal acceleration you'd expect. I saw the PSM flash as the one rear tire spun, half the power transferred to the front and I thought at the time I just blew my engine. A few seconds later for the next corner full power returned, that's when I took a cool down lap to figure out what just happened as then saw the spill. AWD does work.

The 997 has an electronic AWD system. The computer works out when to transfer power to each wheel by monitoring wheel and yaw with sensors. It is very advanced compared to the 996 which is straight mechanical and not intelligent.
The engineers program the computer to manage the way the computer will control the system. 997.1 is their first gen and it's said to be a bit restrictive and early. 997.2 has a updated program which allows for a little yaw/fun before it starts cutting in. I am sure the next version will be even better and maybe will we see the ability to switch programs depending on what the driver says the road conditions are.
Good info. Thanks. Seems like Porsche's AWD system is behind that of Audi's Quattro and Acura's torque vectoring SH-AWD. Anyone familiar with the AWD system in the 991?

Is there a practical difference in rain/snow/ice traction comparing the 996tt and the 997tt?

Old 04-26-2013, 01:05 PM
jumper5836 has a spectacular aura aboutjumper5836 has a spectacular aura about
In snow/ice the way the 997 AWD works, is very different. If you're used to the 996 it needs to be driven differently. With the 997 you basically stop using/working the steering wheel and just point and throttle.

Both have the same traction on same size/type of tires but it's the way it handles the traction. 996 with PSM on will just cut throttle to the engine and brake the wheels which prevents wheel spin. Turning off PSM will allow the rears to spin which will sent power to the front. 997 will do a much better job of integrating the PSM, ABS and throttle control. Leaving the driver with nothing really to do and feeling like there is more traction then there really is.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:29 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by jumper5836
In snow/ice the way the 997 AWD works, is very different. If you're used to the 996 it needs to be driven differently. With the 997 you basically stop using/working the steering wheel and just point and throttle.

Both have the same traction on same size/type of tires but it's the way it handles the traction. 996 with PSM on will just cut throttle to the engine and brake the wheels which prevents wheel spin. Turning off PSM will allow the rears to spin which will sent power to the front. 997 will do a much better job of integrating the PSM, ABS and throttle control. Leaving the driver with nothing really to do and feeling like there is more traction then there really is.
+1 on same traction.

997tt is computer driven therefore in theory faster. In the real world they are very similar. Very difficult to feel the difference if you drive them back to back. I drove both and I'll be damned if I can feel any difference in dry or wet. As far as snow goes I have not tried that.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Giorgos Cayman has a reputation beyond reputeGiorgos Cayman has a reputation beyond reputeGiorgos Cayman has a reputation beyond reputeGiorgos Cayman has a reputation beyond reputeGiorgos Cayman has a reputation beyond reputeGiorgos Cayman has a reputation beyond reputeGiorgos Cayman has a reputation beyond reputeGiorgos Cayman has a reputation beyond reputeGiorgos Cayman has a reputation beyond reputeGiorgos Cayman has a reputation beyond reputeGiorgos Cayman has a reputation beyond repute
Can we install the 997tt AWD system to our 996tt if we install the 997 gearbox too??

Old 04-26-2013, 04:26 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Since most of the posts were on 4/20, the info most be unreliable