996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Pioneer AVIC-D3X

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 08:54 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
My shop did the install for me custom. Not really expensive to be honest...auto sound shops look at this stuff as "part of the job," at least this shop did.

In terms of sound.....car has a really great Switzer exhaust that makes GT3 like noise...that is what matters to me, so the stereo is fun and makes life fun, but I did not want an audiophile system..... The simple truth is the OEM CD based 2002 nav system computer unit died and the dealer wanted 2400 for the unit and 1 hour of labor. Just for the OEM unit that did not at the time seem to have a navigation CD upgrade path (at least that navtech would admit to). So it died and the pioneer route was a no brainer. Would I have moved from OEM ....probably not. It was not great, but it was "good enough."

Avic D3 (now would be a d3x): bt, usb, ipod, xm nav, xm, (can do sirius too), video in, camera, dvd player input, etc. You name it, it can do it. I don't do video in the car....ipod can do video too. I did really compare all of them.....dealer had a great price, great rep, nav works great, bt works with my phone, ipod works, and it is easy to use. A plus is the color of the sytem can be set to match my car's lights....so very, very OEM looking.

At DE's, in map mod, there is speed (gps), lateral and ant/post G meters......fun to look at.

Best of luck. All of these systems kill the OEM system IMHO.

jb

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 06-10-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Green Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by trieullionaire
I have installed my Avic D3 back in February and I love it!
I just bought this kit on ebay with the carbon fiber face. Looks amazing. I will write up a review when I receive it.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:21 AM
BallinGPM is infamous around these parts
I notice a lot of guys going with the double din have their climate control relocated to the bottom under the tray. My climate is in top stock, did yours all come on the bottom or relocated due to stereo? thanks

Old 05-11-2009, 09:37 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Mine came at the very bottom from the factory as it had a PCM1 OEM. That unit died..hence the need for the AvidD3. The OEM unit was about 3000 dollars....plus install. The avic was way less...way. At is is better (apple/bt/xm/xmnav/usb...stuff Porsche is just starting to include in 2009...).

Makes a gt3 delete impossible..

Jeff

Old 05-11-2009, 09:45 AM
trieullionaire has a spectacular aura abouttrieullionaire has a spectacular aura abouttrieullionaire has a spectacular aura about
Climate Control Relocation

Yes, the 996 and 986 models require the climate control to be relocated to the lower console. The kit actually includes the OEM bezel for the climate control in the bottom slot.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:47 AM
what kit is that exactly? bought from the dealer? ordered at stereo shop?

Old 05-11-2009, 10:15 AM
trieullionaire has a spectacular aura abouttrieullionaire has a spectacular aura abouttrieullionaire has a spectacular aura about
Old 05-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Nice looks great, what about arctic silver for color? looks like a couple of the photos show it in silver and some are in black... also shows out of stock, do you have these now?

Old 05-30-2009, 12:34 PM
LoucasDJ5 is infamous around these parts
Hey Adam,
Did you get your climate relocate/double din trim kit from euromotorspeed or somewhere else? looks great, would love to get the same.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:09 AM
Dirty Mac is infamous around these parts
I have a love/hate relationship with my D3. Mostly hate. I love the sound quality. I was able to use the original Bose speakers. Installing the D3 was a huge improvement over the stock stereo. My hate list includes; Bluetooth doesn't work with smartphones. I have the Treo. Checked all over the web and this is a common problem with no solution. The navigation is slow. The 3D view gives you the same view as from your car windsheild. Not very helpful. Other nav systems give you more of a birds eye view so you can see more information. The iPod interface is a pain. You can only scroll one line at a time so finding a song or artist from a long list is ridiculous. On my Nano, the D3 won't charge it and won't turn it off when the radio turns off so I have to remove it all the time. I also hate that it won't remember settings when the power is disconnected so you lose all the customization you've done.