996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Pioneer AVIC-D3X

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 09:01 PM
JonnyTTSB is infamous around these parts
Pioneer AVIC-D3X

Hi all,

Does anyone have this unit installed? If so, is it a good unit and will it work with the bose system?

Old 04-28-2008, 09:13 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I have the D3 and it is super. I built my own X kit if you will. I don't have a remote control (not my thing, but it is cheap if I change my mind). Custom color to the interior..so I matched the backlighting to my other guages, etc.

Great nav. Great BT (see avic411.com for more information). USB and IPOD input is great. Fun sports gauges in map mode.....lateral and ant/post g force meters, etc.

My OEM unit died and this was the best bang for the buck. It still is. No issues now at over a year.

Good luck.

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 04-29-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:14 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
I use to have the AVIC N1 in my 996C2. Loved it. I have the Eclipse AVN5500 now and the Nav is great!

Old 04-29-2008, 03:11 AM
CayenneOFDeatH has a spectacular aura aboutCayenneOFDeatH has a spectacular aura aboutCayenneOFDeatH has a spectacular aura about
jcb-memphis can u post pics plzz

Old 04-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
I have the Z1 .. how different is the D3X? Have you guys seen the new F series?

Old 04-29-2008, 11:05 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CayenneOFDeatH
jcb-memphis can u post pics plzz
Will do so later tonight. Just saw this.

JB

(in my Agla thread it is covered...)

Old 04-29-2008, 11:14 AM
adhood is infamous around these parts
I had the AVIC D3 in my other car.

If you do get one, please get the iPod interface.

It only has once disc slot, so either you program your route in and than eject the NAV disc, and place your regular CD in.

Or you just leave the NAV disc in and use the iPod.

The video bypass for the unit is very simple to do.
Actually the website is avic411.com

The bluetooth is great. Had a few problems syncing my phonebook but after some trial and error, I figured it out.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Here are some pics of it installed.

iPod cable in the glovebox
[img][/img]

Old 04-29-2008, 07:49 PM
JonnyTTSB is infamous around these parts
Thanks guys for all your input!!!

Old 04-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Requested 996 install....note microphone is hidden as a drilled out switch on the dash...looks totally OEM. ...too dark to get a good photo, sorry.

Jeff

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/jeffb2/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

Attached Images  
Old 06-10-2008, 08:36 AM
trieullionaire has a spectacular aura abouttrieullionaire has a spectacular aura abouttrieullionaire has a spectacular aura about
Avic D3 in a 2000 Boxster

I have installed my Avic D3 back in February and I love it!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	int4.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	71642   Click image for larger version

Name:	int1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	71643  
Old 06-10-2008, 08:38 AM
arr0gant is infamous around these parts
WOW, AMAZING INSTALL!! Looks BEAUTIFUL!! PROPS!

Old 06-10-2008, 10:28 AM
jt2
jt2 is infamous around these parts
IMO, if you're going to go to the trouble of a custom install of a double-DIN, you'd be doing yourself a disservice by retaining the awful-sounding Bose electronics and speakers. Bose monkeys with the EQ to achieve their own sound. Yuck. You're dropping good time and money on a head unit that can faithfully reproduce the sound the way the recordinig engineer intended. Why ruin it?

No highs? No lows? Must be Bose! (tm)

Ditch it!

Old 06-10-2008, 12:05 PM
liquidcool is infamous around these parts
I looked at both and the eclipse unit was superior - especially the nav. Plus you can add, ipod, hd radio, sirius radio, backup cam and bluetooth.

http://www.cartronixplus.com/templat...20%20ALL%20%3E

for $869 it's a steal.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Banned
BlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud of
Is there a dash kit for the 996 or are they custom?

Old 06-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
You should also consider the Kenwood unit. I've had mine for a few months now, and it's great. The nav is by Garmin, so it works flawlessly.

Here is a pic..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC-D3X