996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

help needed 996tt side air intake removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:43 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
help needed 996tt side air intake removal

anyone know how to remove the side air ducts from the car? I bought air intake dividers for the car, need to remove the air intake's to install

Old 05-01-2008, 09:42 PM
infanterene is infamous around these parts
I am thinking of getting those too. Please post how the install goes.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:50 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I beleive you'll have to remove the rear bumper cover.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:02 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Old 05-02-2008, 06:54 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Can I ask where you bought those from?

Old 05-02-2008, 08:25 PM
villains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the roughvillains_turbo is a jewel in the rough
I just pulled an exploded diagram off renntech when i posted this same question the other day. you just wedge up the front edge next to the door and slide it out. should be pretty easy.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:36 AM
liquidcool is infamous around these parts
I got mine from vivid for about $600 which, frankly, is a ripoff for 3 ounces worth of plastic. I probably could have had them custom fabricated for less, and certainly could have made copies of them (now that I have them) for next to nothing.

But don't get me wrong, they look sweet and change the whole impression of the car - makes it look much more aggressive.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:41 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by liquidcool
I got mine from vivid for about $600 which, frankly, is a ripoff for 3 ounces worth of plastic. I probably could have had them custom fabricated for less, and certainly could have made copies of them (now that I have them) for next to nothing.

Mike

Old 05-04-2008, 06:54 AM
liquidcool is infamous around these parts
You know what's really funny Mike? When I bought them I thought I was buying the whole intake because the photos never showed the diverters separately. So when the box came, I though, geez, they look bigger online. And when I picked up the box and it weighed only slightly more than an empty cardboard box I thought they forgot to pack them. And then after I opened the box, I thought, what they hell are these and why are $300 each??

Then I realized...

Old 05-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Mike just laughs at anything that says Vivid. Hey Mike everytime I look at your avatar I wonder why your car has so much pitch in it... ask Kevin to setup your PSS9's correctly. Unfortunately that is TechArt. We dont control pricing. We use to have some replica ones, but as TechArt official dealers, we can sell them anymore. They were half the price. Here is the intallation...

Here is a little how to install the Precision Porsche Side Air Intake Splitters on a 2001 - 2005 Porsche 996 Turbo.

Note: These are made in the USA. They come unpainted and fit with the factory ducts. You can view item and purchase here - http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/precision-porsche-996tt-intake-duct-splitters-pair-0105-p-29454.html

Step 1 -
To protect your factory paint when you pull out the ducts, tape around the edges.

Step 2 -
Pull! There is only one way to get these out. You need to pull straight out. You wont break anything, just tug on it so it comes out from the clips. It will require some force.

Step 3 -
Place the new Precision Porsche air splitters in the center of the duct so they follow the lines of the part. Mark with a pencil on either side of the outside of the duct so you can find your center point to drill.

Step 4 -
Drill 1 hole on either side of the duct to start a small screw to attach the splitter in place. (drill holes before paint. then fit in place after paint)

Step 5 -
Once you install them and make sure everything is level, you will simply pop the duct back into place and you are done!

Install time is about 1 hour. Paint cost can be anywhere from $30-$100 depending on the shop. Enjoy!

Old 05-05-2008, 03:40 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Thumbs down

Dan, You can't help but comment can you? Those front wheels are off the ground due to the power the car is making, miraculously without a single piece of VIVID rice on it... If you have something to say about Kevin, why not grow a set and ring him direct, instead of hounding one of his happy customers?

Every time someone asks questions about CAIs, I go out of the way not to call out your airbox specifically. I go out of my way not to pick nits with you, but you can't just let it go, can you? If you'd like for me to really speak my mind... I'm Irish, and happy to...

I guess you're still upset because you "Bent over backwards" to help me with my brake questions over the winter... Talking to me on the phone for 10 minutes, and sending me a few pics to my inbox... Last I checked, it's your JOB to provide info to prospective customers. If you don't LIKE having to do that part of your "job", then you might want to consider a career change, because its obviously impacting your tact with other prospective customers...

If you don't want people to comment ot critique your products, then DON'T PUSH THEM ON THE F'N INTERNET.

And this, from a "sponsor"... Class act fo sure...

Mike Kelly

Last edited by Mikelly; 05-05-2008 at 03:43 AM.