996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

First 1/4 mile pass in the Skinny White Dude Racing "700" car!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
First 1/4 mile pass in the Skinny White Dude Racing "700" car!

Well I got bored this afternoon and decided to go to Baytown, one of Houston's local 1/4 mile tracks. The weather sucked today by sucked I mean 80*-85* with the Humidity at over 90%. The only plus for me is that the track is at Sea Level or a few feet above.

I set the boost on the first run to 17.0psi which Is my pump gas setting (1.17 bar or so) and made a pass with the car cooling off about 15-20 minutes from a hour drive almost. The slip looked like this:
2.002 - 60ft
7.696 - 1/8th
101.67 - 1/8th MPH
11.561 - 1/4
127.76 - 1/4 MPH

This run was done with a soft launch that ended up bogging really bad. Hince the 2.0 60ft, considering my best has been a 1.72.

The next pass I decided to turn the boost up to 19psi, or at least that is what it was suppose to be. The car had sat about an hour or so cooling down. I make the pass and get these results:
2.084 - 60ft
7.690 - 1/8th
104.61 - 1/8th MPH
11.509 - 1/4
130.04 - 1/4 MPH

Tried launching the car VERY aggressive.. Most of you guys would shutter because your a bunch of pansys Just kidding! I really didn't mean to launch as hard as I did, but here is the deal behind the 2.0 60ft.. Someone.. Not pointing any fingers.. left the PSM on in the car so once it started to spin the car fell FLAT on its face. I had to switch it off before I hit 2nd because it does spin a TINY bit when you switch to 2nd. I wish I would have gotten a picture of the boost for proof, but it was 17.3lbs of boost. We forgot to change the amount of Offset (gain) on the boost controller and ended up just changing the desired boost. One thing to note though is that launch probably cost me a mph or 2 because it literly falls on its face.

I will tell you this. The car feels so slow in 1st gear, but man as soon as it hits 2nd HOLY **** it takes off.

As far as weight goes.. The car weighed 3660 with me in the car. Thats 3/4 tank of gas, spare tire, seats, etc.. in the car. I'm not going to strip this car out so she will always stay a tank.

Over all its not to bad for just my pump gas setting LOL! I know when I turn up the boost to 19-20psi it should run 135 or 136mph EASY! Not bad for a kit that I pieced together and 3 of us put together in the garage without a lift.

I will try to get the videos of it up later, although you cannot hear ANYTHING because of all the damn race cars around (and that I got lined up with).

Last edited by Powell; 05-02-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Dude,
Those are great numbers. 11.5 at 130 ain't no joke.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:56 AM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Way to go Chris, great trap! Pull the PSM fuse for 1/4 mile runs (B9 I think) and you'll have a much better time launching.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:44 AM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
You know what's odd - my best time 11.01 - was with PSM on. My second best of 11.02 was also with PSM on. When I discovered it was on, I turned it off thinking I would break into the 10's, but no dice. I went back again another day with PSM off the whole time and still could not best the PSM time of 11.01 (and it was a little cooler).

Old 05-03-2008, 05:39 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Congrats! Jamie Furman Kept telling me to play with my tire pressures, and I should have, but didn't... I ended up running them with the rears at 42# and the car still wouldn't break out of the 11s. I'm pretty sure that the car would have dipped into the 10s, with the right tire pressure settings, or a better driver... I still managed an 11.24 at 127mph on my one and only outting to the 1/4 mile...

Keep it up, and report back...

Mike

Old 05-03-2008, 06:10 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Great trap Powell!

Old 05-03-2008, 08:33 AM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
Congrats on the #'s

Old 05-03-2008, 09:07 AM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
The 700 club is getting crowed here in H town! Sean has the Proto/S-Car Go with GT 28, Paulie has the Proto 24/18, Chris has a pair of GT30/76 and now your car... the summer nights are heating up!
Congrats
Robert

Old 05-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John D
You know what's odd - my best time 11.01 - was with PSM on. My second best of 11.02 was also with PSM on. When I discovered it was on, I turned it off thinking I would break into the 10's, but no dice. I went back again another day with PSM off the whole time and still could not best the PSM time of 11.01 (and it was a little cooler).
John I agree that it could probably help some, but I have gotten my best 60ft times basically leaving at 4k+ RPM. When it started flashing at me the car just falls on its face and then took back off. Though the only other thing I could think would cause that falling on the face was the turbo lag. I may have to try riding out the clutch some so it creates some load so it builds boost. I do rev the car up a little kinda bouncing the RPMs before I take off though, so I thought that may help with lag some.

Thanks for the compliments on the times. I am waiting on 2 more side views of the car that my friend has and then I'll have a video of the passes up.

The lady at the end of the track that gives you the ticket gave me the you know better speech two times, so I'll have to stick to Lonestar Motorsport Park. Though after the first pass she goes "You should know better than this, but that is beautiful car and man it sure is fast" lol. The 2nd time I came up and she looked at me and I imedietly responded.. "Yes maam I know I'm coming back next time with a 6pt cage" She imediatly starting laughing and said I still need to talk to the tech guy. After talking to the tech guy he was just like man that thing sure does haul *** though. I guess they don't see fast Porsches that often. Luckly I get a long with the officials there, but they are still strict on the rules.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Chris,

You, me, a highway in Mexico. You are officially called out! Maybe we can get Paulina Parisol to join.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Here is a video. It's going to be updated later with another view of the run.

http://www.vobra.org/vids/porsche130.wmv

Old 05-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Chris,

You, me, a highway in Mexico. You are officially called out! Maybe we can get Paulina Parisol to join.
Sounds good to me. I need to figure out this boost controller if I'm going to stand a chance. An extra 2lbs should make it a pretty fair run.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I will be at the Frank N Stien's meet tonight in Katy. I have a tank full of pump and will add maybe a few gallons of VP 109. I don't have any C-16 unless I go by Tommy's.

You want to run on pump or race gas?

Stand a chance? You have GT 30's and I just have fat white guy 28's.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
I will be at the Frank N Stien's meet tonight in Katy. I have a tank full of pump and will add maybe a few gallons of VP 109. I don't have any C-16 unless I go by Tommy's.

You want to run on pump or race gas?

Stand a chance? You have GT 30's and I just have fat white guy 28's.
I'm not sure if I'm going to drive that far tonight. We will see. I'll be on pump gas with maybe a few drips left of 109 so I'll be on low boost; if I make it out.

**** I need those GT30s to carry this tank down the road. Damn GT2s and their light weightness LOL!

Old 05-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !
Weak burnout!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First 1/4 mile pass in the Skinny White Dude Racing "700" car!