996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

k24/18g vs Garretts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 05:47 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DrivenAgain
I have stock k24's on my mercedes CL600TT I wonder if something like this would work on my current tune. OK sorry to hijack pcar guys
Yes it would work but you might want to have it road tune.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:49 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Powell
From what Paul has said is that the car is incredibly fast and if I remember he said its not laggy at all.

I almost wish I would have done K24/18's because of the little amount of lag, but I also want to make 700-750whp in the future so Im going to have to deal with the lag.
Chris
Seem like we tried to tell you about how laggy these turbos were??? All you had to do is take a ride in the Black GT800 here in the Woodlands.
Robert

Old 05-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robmd99
Chris
Seem like we tried to tell you about how laggy these turbos were??? All you had to do is take a ride in the Black GT800 here in the Woodlands.
Robert
It's not that bad as what I was expecting, but it is laggy. I am going to have Akram build me a motor eventually and I am going to turn these suckers up. If I had 24/18s Id be limited to 650whp like Todd stated and I would have to upgrade, so I might as well start big I want to make 750 or so awhp when I'm done with the motor. Though it's going to be awhile before I can do any of that though.

Old 05-03-2008, 06:06 PM
I better get to upgrading my car... seems like You, Sean and Paulie are getting faster everyday...
Robert

Old 05-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
BTW, Paulie, I am loading up the whole family in the CTT tonight, since no one wants to play, and heading out to the meet at Frank N Steins.. Why don't you bring KO Ko and she can play w/ Mindy (Paulie and I just got puppies).
Frank N Stiens? In Katy or Sugarland?

Old 05-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Katy...just got back it was dead. However it was nice to spend an evening w/ the family. We definately have to get all 4 cars out together.

But back to an OT related question:Is it possible to put bigger compressors in the 28's?

Old 05-03-2008, 09:51 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
996ttDMB,

I am not sure about the GT28's, but IMO, you can't go wrong with the K24/18G's. No lag and plenty of power. This is an extremely responsive package that offers fantastic peformance at a great price. I am now on my second season with these turbos and my thirst for more power has been quenched. The power is explosive and sustained...just a sweet turbo. I am sure the larger GT30's or GT35's are wild, but the 24/18G should not be overlooked for it's inherent advantages of low cost, low maintenance, awesome pump fuel performance, etc. Simple, yet very effective.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:04 PM
RESQ911 is a jewel in the roughRESQ911 is a jewel in the roughRESQ911 is a jewel in the rough
I thought this thread had a lot of potential, since I was wondering the same thing. Thanks to Todd from Protomotive for his input. I wish some of the tuners that use the other turbos would contribute with some technical knowledge/information. This by no means is intended to be a X vs X type question.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:18 PM
996ttDMB is infamous around these parts996ttDMB is infamous around these parts
I would also like to thank Todd for his input. I was hoping to hear more info on why the other setup is preferred by the other tuners, or at least their reasoning as to why they chose garretts.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:25 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
I agree with what others have said. I do not think many folks realize how big the K24/18G turbos are. As Rob mentioned, he was over the other day and we measured the compressors and turbines of the following turbos: stock K24, GT700 (Tial KKK/GT28 hyrbrids), GT2860RS and K24/18G. The K24/18G had the largest compressors and turbines. For getting the maximum power from a stock engine, I think that the Protomotive 24/18G turbos are hard to beat (rapid spool, 700+hp crank potential, bolt-on convenience). Among the current offerings, they are as big a turbo as you can run without needing to strengthen the stock engine. Unless you go with an unproven setup (blaze a new trail), the next size larger turbo (both compressor and turbine) is the GT30 turbo. It requires new or custom manifolds, exahaust, oil lines, water cooling, etc. To really get the most out of it you will need to go with stronger rods otherwise you will damage your engine (unless you dial down the tuning, and then what is the point of having them?). If your ultimate plan is to go for >750 crank hp on a built bottom end, then the Garretts ultimately allow more upgradeability. If you do not plan to build your engine, I can't think of a bolt on turbo that will outperform the K24/18G. They are in the sweet spot as they are quite suitable if you do not want to upgrade your fuel pump or injectors, yet have enough in them to max out such a fuel system upgrade.

Last edited by roadsterdoc; 05-04-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:36 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 996ttDMB
I would also like to thank Todd for his input. I was hoping to hear more info on why the other setup is preferred by the other tuners, or at least their reasoning as to why they chose garretts.
Great question. Here are some quick answers:

Going with Garrett offers unlimited choice. Feel lag? Swap to a smaller turbine housing. Crave more power? Get larger units and sell your old ones to anybody (3K units only fit 996TTs).
Replacement cost is lower in the rare event of a failure.
They are popular and have published specs and compression maps. Most shops know Garretts well and can avoid a lot of R&D guesswork.
It gives the shop an opportunity to showcase their fabricating skills for headers and exhaust. Look at Vivid's AP650 kit...it's gorgeous.
Garrett is ahead of the game in technology compared to 3K, IHI, etc and there are specialty companies that even tweak the Garretts (Turbonetics, HKS, Tial, etc).

Old 05-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Site Sponsor
DrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond repute
does anyone know what the costs are involved to have this modification done to stock K24's?

Old 05-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Rob,

BTW, Akram and I worked all our differences out. As far as I am concerned, we are definitely on good terms.

Back to the original topic, does anyone know if the compressors in the GT 28's can be upgraded? I may have to suicide myself if paulie, w/ his miserly 13K in upgrades pulls on my full GT 700 set up (which I was told by Todd might happen up top).

Yes, Todd's hybrids are a hell of a bang for the buck upgrade.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:38 PM
DrivenAgain- Last time I checked (late 2007) it was $1200 for the upgrade from K24s to K24/18Gs, and $400 to upgrade both wastegates to 1bar units (highly recommended). You will also need tuning of course, plus at least a 5bar FPR fuel upgrade and an electronic wastegate controller. In addition, a high flow air filter, exhaust, and DVs are recommended. BTW, it seems that used K24s seem to be scarce lately and new K24s have increased in price due to the Euro/USD exchange rate.

Last edited by roadsterdoc; 05-04-2008 at 10:53 PM. Reason: correction and added more info
Old 05-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Back to the original topic, does anyone know if the compressors in the GT 28's can be upgraded?
You mean the original "off"-topic? Sean, the compressors are not the major limiting factor with your setup, it is the turbines. And to answer your question: no, they cannot be easily upgraded. Come by my house sometime. If I still have a set here I can show you why.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: k24/18g vs Garretts