996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

k24/18g vs Garretts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 04:48 PM
DJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
What happened to the well versed & a poetic writter Sean (aka Dr Jitsu)?
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...y=US&geodiff=1

Sorry Sean couldn't resist...

Old 05-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !
Sweet, cant wait to see the video's! Were you all on racegas? and what boost? 1.1,1.2,1.3,1.4,1.5?
Matt

Old 05-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DJ'sZ
BWHAHAHA, Dennis...good one!

I was out w/ the wife and son obeying all posted speed laws. I wanted a nice clock for the home theater...I mean living room.

I bought it and tried to pass it off as a mothers day present

Wife said "the chimes scare me."

Old 05-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Very nice, guys! But I'm jealous. You guys have all the fun in H-town.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:55 PM
MGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to behold
From my view point the 24/18 have less lag than the 28's.Sean and I raced about 5 times all leading to the same result,my car put about 1 -1 1/2 car lengths each time.To be fair Sean did have a passenger.I am very happy w/ my proto setup. MGS996tt I have the stock fuel system.
Thanks Paulie.

What HP & TQ are you putting down with your current K24/18g set-up?

Cheers.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:52 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
MGS996tt, I have not dynoed the car.Todd says the 24/18's should put down between 560 -600 rwhp.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:55 AM
MGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to behold
MGS996tt, I have not dynoed the car.Todd says the 24/18's should put down between 560 -600 rwhp.
Thanks

Old 05-11-2008, 07:06 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Paulie, sick car! I still don't get how you're getting to that level without fueling, though. When I was tuning my car I hit the limit of the stock injectors around 500 whp.
Your car is obviously making sick power (pulling on the good doctor and all ), so I'd be curious to know how you (or Todd) got around the fueling ceiling.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:12 AM
DMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud of
996ttDMB
I went with Todds K24/18g coz of the simple bolt on convenience, and most of all the COST!! I had a set of k24s I scored from a client, so
flash(TODD@PROTO),
$1500(maxpeed), great exhaust EBAY!! lol..really headers and all !
BOV around 300 (dan@vivid), single AP one !!
FPR i think was 100(neuspeed),
clutch just under a grand(dan@vivid), CERAMIC...grabby sucker!!
EBC greddy$300,
B6 IC's1800(CDN$$),
wastegates and k24 conversion to 18g TODD i think was 1200,
and I think that was it..
So for around 10K I ran 10 sec 1/4's all day long once I learnt how to drag a bit...lol... I stalled it a few times...grabby clutch... lol... also have no video but i could do 340/kms easily in her...by then no one was near me.... sorry no vid...
ANYHOW... just want to let you know that I ran lots of cars that had way more power...but they got spanked coz I knew my power band and raced them to my advantage...they spun...I ran away... (BIKES TOO) For the amount of fun I had i don't think there is another pkg that offers as much as Todds set up.... I know Dan has a new pkg that looks awesome but i dont know if he has 1/4 numbers yet or 60-130 etc etc...
Just wanted to say all this coz when I was in your position I was a little confused as to which way to go... it took alot of calls and info from Mr.. punch buggy himself MARSKI....lol... Todd of course has a wealth of info that he will gladly share with you. Ultimately Markskis trust me.. dont waste your cash on this or that SAVED ME THOUSANDS>......... I am so GLAD I actually listened!!! I HAD A BLAST WITH MY CAR!!
Hope this helped!!

Old 05-11-2008, 10:45 AM
DJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Lil Powell
Sweet, cant wait to see the video's! Were you all on racegas? and what boost? 1.1,1.2,1.3,1.4,1.5?
Matt
Techron 93 baby...0 Bar.

I know Paulie/Sean I won't be so lucky next time around...

Old 05-11-2008, 01:39 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by silvershark
Sean, You can put larger compressor wheels on the GT28 Hybrids.
I spoke with the owner of Turbo Performance...turbo-performance.com
he said for $400 each turbo the GT700 would produce 50+hp. They have been in business for 31 years and he seemed to really know his turbo's.
See excellence mag June 2008 pg 191. I prefer the violent blast of the GT28's but I can see on the track it could be more of a challenge.
The GT28/GT700 hybrids are perfect for those wanting instant torque/boost response. They are a wet dream for autocross or launching from a standstill, yet are versatile enough to provide excellent top end performance, enough to satisfy most people. Sean, you aren't most people () and have an addiction for power that rivals your addiciton for sex () and painful songwriting. Upgrading compressors may net you a little more power and $800 is cheap power so it's a viable option. But be aware of the limits. There will be disparity between the larger upgraded compressor wheel and the current turbine wheel which may increase compressor surge. That turbine is really a limiting factor as it does not have great top end flow. Even if you had the turbine housing modified to hold a larger (even clipped) turbine wheel, the turbine housing is small (total size and A/R). Hell, you could easily swap in complete GT30 or GT35 CHRA with both wheels with slight modification of your existing turbine housing, but the housing is such a bottle neck you would not realize the potential of the larger wheels. I do not want to discourage you from upgrading your GT700s...there is room for improvement and that ceiling might provide the additional power you crave for little cost. It would be blazing a new trail and there is great satisfaction (ie, bragging rights) in that. But if you want to make siginificantly more power and have any plans on building your engine (rods) then you might as well put in a little more $$ and jump to bigger units (K24/18G, K24/20G, GT30 or GT35). Just my thoughts. Having said all that, I would like to see how far you can take the GT700s. I would love to eat my words.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Chris,

Are you saying that the k24 housing/turbine is larger than the GT 28's?

Maybe I should just go w/ GT 30's. jamies old car w/ 30's is a stock engine and has not blown....yet.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:57 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
If you get gt30's w/your fuel system I am not going to play anymore.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:24 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
The GT28/GT700 hybrids are perfect for those wanting instant torque/boost response. They are a wet dream for autocross or launching from a standstill, yet are versatile enough to provide excellent top end performance, enough to satisfy most people.
Are you sure about that, Chris? Just based off the numbers I believe a K24/18G car has the quickest 1/4 mile time/mph of any of the 700 HP cars (10.65 @ 136). I think the boost response between the two turbos is negligible at best, but the K24's continue to make more power up top.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:01 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Sean- K24 turbine housing > in size than the K16 turbine housing. The GT28s have a K16 turbine housing, and it is actually modified so that the exducer diameter (exit hole) has a smaller diameter than stock K16.

Scott- I was not making any comparisons to any other turbos. Just saying where I thought the GT28s excell. You can read my other posts to see my enthusiasm for other turbos, especially K24/18Gs. Every turbo fills a niche, and it is not always about performance but sometimes cost.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: k24/18g vs Garretts