996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

k24/18g vs Garretts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
What's pump gas? My MS109 gets pumped in to the car

Old 05-12-2008, 03:00 PM
DJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Powell
What's pump gas? My MS109 gets pumped in to the car
Did you miss the 93 part...

I can't run with BIG boys just yet...so keep your sh** turned down to keep it somewhat interesting/entertaining for me...

Old 05-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
It will be C16 and no passenger for you and Walnut from now on!

Old 05-12-2008, 03:11 PM
DJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of lightDJ'sZ is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
It will be C16 and no passenger for you and Walnut from now on!
LOL...

Paulie, looks like Sean doesn't want to play fair anymore.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:22 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DJ'sZ
Did you miss the 93 part...
I'd love to run you on 93, bro.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
I'd love to run you on 93, bro.
I bet you would...

60-130 low-boost: 5.52 (2-shifts, 1.1 BAR, 93 octane)

Damn thats fast...!!!

Old 05-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Great thread, guys.

I have an Evo Stage 4 setup with the upgraded wastegates, boost hoses, etc... I have not dyno'd my car yet but I am assuming I'm at roughly 600 FWHP... Given that I have 'normal' K24's would/should I consider going to the 24/18 upgrade? If so, can I run my Evo programming or would I need to move to Proto maps to take advantage?

I do not want a full motor build but would like a bit more midrange punch/quicker spooling. I use my car as a weekend canyon toy, AutoX occasionally and have recently been running some local SoCal tracks which I have fallen in love with again...

If I went to the 24/18 turbos would I need to add anything else? (5 bar FPR for example?)

Also, while I'm at it, I've been considering a 70mm Plenum upgrade as I've been told it might help me out with the midrange/quicker spool(?)... Any feedback on this is appreciated!

Thanks in advance! This is my first seriously modded turbo car so I'm learning slowly. I had an S4 biturbo in 2000 but never went past a remap and a filter upgrade b/c the car was leased...

Old 05-22-2008, 05:52 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kato
Great thread, guys.

I have an Evo Stage 4 setup with the upgraded wastegates, boost hoses, etc... I have not dyno'd my car yet but I am assuming I'm at roughly 600 FWHP... Given that I have 'normal' K24's would/should I consider going to the 24/18 upgrade? If so, can I run my Evo programming or would I need to move to Proto maps to take advantage?

I do not want a full motor build but would like a bit more midrange punch/quicker spooling. I use my car as a weekend canyon toy, AutoX occasionally and have recently been running some local SoCal tracks which I have fallen in love with again...

If I went to the 24/18 turbos would I need to add anything else? (5 bar FPR for example?)

Also, while I'm at it, I've been considering a 70mm Plenum upgrade as I've been told it might help me out with the midrange/quicker spool(?)... Any feedback on this is appreciated!

Thanks in advance! This is my first seriously modded turbo car so I'm learning slowly. I had an S4 biturbo in 2000 but never went past a remap and a filter upgrade b/c the car was leased...
no you would need proto programing you wouldnt be able to use the one you have now ..

yes you would need the 5 bar , and boost controler (not needed but highly recomended)

i wouldnt bother with the intake plenum , to be honest its realy not worth it after your done paying for that and instalation..

port and polish you stock manifolds that will help you out a bit.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Originally Posted by unvmym3
no you would need proto programing you wouldnt be able to use the one you have now ..

yes you would need the 5 bar , and boost controler (not needed but highly recomended)

i wouldnt bother with the intake plenum , to be honest its realy not worth it after your done paying for that and instalation..

port and polish you stock manifolds that will help you out a bit.
Thanks for the feedback. I actually have the K24 headers (Evo) already.

I have heard that 16/24 hybrids will run well on K24 Evo mapping...any feedback?

I'd just like a bit punchier midrange/quicker spool and possibly a little more hp up top if there's more left in my current setup...

Old 05-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by unvmym3

plus 1. And I guarantee that you are grossly exaggerating your power level (600whp).

When Paulie had the same set up as you my old set (what I have now minus a LOT of stuff) up pulled on him. I ran a 7.7 60 to 130 back then. I now run a 6.68. Although I edged Paulie out in the rematch (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d.php?t=130613) you should be clear that the 24/18's are a big step up in power from what you have right now. Don't waste your money on the plenum. Spend the 3K for the turbo upgrade. The only hard part is the extra 3K in tuning. However your car will be on another level, about a busslength and a half faster in the 60-130.

I should add that if you do go w/ the 24/18's you will also need a stronger clutch and upgraded IC's (I highly recommend the EVO's). Your car will loose a lot of it's daily drivability, but will be a MUCH faster weekend toy. You will be able to play w/ the big boys on the Mexican Tollway.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 05-22-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:24 PM
art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !art4iza Is a GOD !
Garrett all the way for me but I think it is a preferance. Then the driver of course.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:32 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
i drive mine every day almost.=)

Old 05-23-2008, 10:59 AM
Green Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to behold
Great thread guys. I think I will stick with my K24 18G setup

Old 05-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
plus 1. And I guarantee that you are grossly exaggerating your power level (600whp).

When Paulie had the same set up as you my old set (what I have now minus a LOT of stuff) up pulled on him. I ran a 7.7 60 to 130 back then. I now run a 6.68. Although I edged Paulie out in the rematch (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d.php?t=130613) you should be clear that the 24/18's are a big step up in power from what you have right now. Don't waste your money on the plenum. Spend the 3K for the turbo upgrade. The only hard part is the extra 3K in tuning. However your car will be on another level, about a busslength and a half faster in the 60-130.

I should add that if you do go w/ the 24/18's you will also need a stronger clutch and upgraded IC's (I highly recommend the EVO's). Your car will loose a lot of it's daily drivability, but will be a MUCH faster weekend toy. You will be able to play w/ the big boys on the Mexican Tollway.
Doc,
Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure that the car would be much faster if I went this route. Good feedback. Any suggestions on the next step if I don't want to scrap programming and such? Would the 16/24's get me where I want to go?

Oh and I wasn't trying to exaggerate my hp, note that I said FWHP (flywheel)... I'm not a poser, promise! If I'm wrong, then I stand corrected but again, just quoting what I've been quoted and told.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Old 05-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Kato
Doc,
Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure that the car would be much faster if I went this route. Good feedback. Any suggestions on the next step if I don't want to scrap programming and such? Would the 16/24's get me where I want to go?

Oh and I wasn't trying to exaggerate my hp, note that I said FWHP (flywheel)... I'm not a poser, promise! If I'm wrong, then I stand corrected but again, just quoting what I've been quoted and told.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
Sorry, I thought fwhp meant four wheel hp, lol.

Yes, you will have to pay an extra 3 K for programming, but the power to cost ratio is still a relative bargain.

Edit: Kato, the only caveat is that these turbos are not quicker spooling. They have more lag w/ concomitant more power up top. If you want quicker spooling turbos then GT 28's are what you want. But that would be a LOT of money for the adaptive hardware. I would not go w/ K24/18's for autox.

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 05-24-2008 at 12:38 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: k24/18g vs Garretts