996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

k24/18g vs Garretts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 12:45 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Sorry, I thought fwhp meant four wheel hp, lol.

Yes, you will have to pay an extra 3 K for programming, but the power to cost ratio is still a relative bargain.

Edit: Kato, the only caveat is that these turbos are not quicker spooling. They have more lag w/ concomitant more power up top. If you want quicker spooling turbos then GT 28's are what you want. But that would be a LOT of money for the adaptive hardware. I would not go w/ K24/18's for autox.
Thanks for the feedback! I do want something with a slightly quicker spool and hopefully very linear, controllable power delivery for the track... Oh and FYI, my car is RWD so I couldn't have four wheel horsepower even if I tried!

Anybody else have a recommendation for me? Should I try the 16/24 hybrids with my current EVO K24 programming?

Old 05-24-2008, 01:09 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Kato,

Talk to Tom kerr about the k24/18G on the track. I don't track, but I do have the k24/18G and they are very responsive. At the RPM's you would be utilizing at the track, I think you would be in the power band at all times and have a lot more up top than with a 16/24. I went from K16/24's to K24/18G's and do not notice any difference in lag, in fact my K24/18G's seem less laggy than the 16/24 hybrids and from my observations, offer a lot more power everywhere in the power band. They are an awesome turbo and I think you would be thrilled with them.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kato
I c
Anybody else have a recommendation for me? Should I try the 16/24 hybrids with my current EVO K24 programming?
If you have K24s just keep them... especially since you have the programming... I do not recommend mixing and matching ecus from one turbo with a another.. especially when we are talking about stock K24s and k24/18gs or even gt28 hybrids... bad idea. I lost 2 ecu programs just because I decided to switch... its the way things simply are...
As far as linear and smooth power delivery goes... well that has more to do with a custom tuner rather then a type of turbo you go with... or at least the ones mentions....
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 05-24-2008, 11:22 PM
formulab is infamous around these parts
very interesting thread, i have stage 4 set up too. while it runs great, i always want more.

couple questions for the experts out there.

current set up, k24's, europipe exhaust, b&b headers, diverter valves, giac programming, evo wastegates, pss9 susp, fikse 18" profiles, pccb gen ii

i do drive my car every day, also do 6 or 7 roadcourse events a year.

will k24/18g ruin a daily driver?

can i keep my giac program, or will i need new software too?

sorry for the redundant questions, but it is a little confusing.

thanks to all for any info.

bob

Old 05-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Formulab,

No you will have to get Proto programming (3K) for the 24/18's.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:21 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
like sean said , you will need proto .programing and no it wont ruin your daily driver.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:01 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kato
...I do want something with a slightly quicker spool and hopefully very linear, controllable power delivery for the track...
I just drove a turbo S last weekend. First Time I've every been in a car with K24s. I've been using GT28s for about 5 years. I could not believe how LINEAR the K24s are. Like the car was naturally aspirated. Absolutely no turbo surge what so ever. If LINEAR is what you want, LINEAR is what you have. Get a stage 4 EVOMS program, port and coat your headers and you're done!

Old 05-26-2008, 10:08 AM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Originally Posted by Zippy
I just drove a turbo S last weekend. First Time I've every been in a car with K24s. I've been using GT28s for about 5 years. I could not believe how LINEAR the K24s are. Like the car was naturally aspirated. Absolutely no turbo surge what so ever. If LINEAR is what you want, LINEAR is what you have. Get a stage 4 EVOMS program, port and coat your headers and you're done!
Already there! I've got the stage 4 programming and Evo K24 headers...

I agree that they delivery is very linear right now (for a turbo car)... I'm not necessarily unhappy with the setup, I'm just looking for the next (minor) step that might yield me a bit quicker spooling and a bit more low/midrange push...

I'm very happy with the car so far, just seeing what else is within reach!

Last edited by Kato; 05-26-2008 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:26 PM
Site Sponsor
DrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to bump an old thread. My Mercedes CL600 uses K24's per its OEM setup. With my current modifications I regularly see 1.27+ BAR (18.5lbs) I currently make 555wrhp and 750rwtq. I have spoken to Protomotive about the k24/18g upgrade. My question is, do they upgrade the compressor wheel from the IHI 18g turbo or do they use the housing as well? The reason i ask is I am EXTREMELY space limited within my engine bay and have no room for physically larger turbos. Thanks for your help!

Old 06-22-2008, 02:33 PM
SleeperX is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DrivenAgain
Sorry to bump an old thread. My Mercedes CL600 uses K24's per its OEM setup. With my current modifications I regularly see 1.27+ BAR (18.5lbs) I currently make 555wrhp and 750rwtq. I have spoken to Protomotive about the k24/18g upgrade. My question is, do they upgrade the compressor wheel from the IHI 18g turbo or do they use the housing as well? The reason i ask is I am EXTREMELY space limited within my engine bay and have no room for physically larger turbos. Thanks for your help!
Jason,
How is it going bro? I would think that Todd should be able to answer this question. You should email him. Either way there is probably a solution for a turbo upgrade for your car. Can you eliminate anything in the engine bay to make room?

Old 06-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by DrivenAgain
They only upgrade the wheel. The exterior of the housing remains the same, but the inside is ground to accept the larger compressor wheel. The inducer is also slightly larger, but only about 10mm I believe.

Todd could answer any questions you have.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Site Sponsor
DrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Adam Bowles
They only upgrade the wheel. The exterior of the housing remains the same, but the inside is ground to accept the larger compressor wheel. The inducer is also slightly larger, but only about 10mm I believe.

Todd could answer any questions you have.
thanks for you input, much appreciated
Originally Posted by SleeperX
Jason,
How is it going bro? I would think that Todd should be able to answer this question. You should email him. Either way there is probably a solution for a turbo upgrade for your car. Can you eliminate anything in the engine bay to make room?
hey frank, all is well, just trying to squeeze a bit more out of my current platform. The frame rails on all V12tt platform have to be widened for the stock turbos, theres just no room. Fueling becomes an issue as well. Im trying to move more air, obviously, but keep it as "oem" as possible. If youve been following VRP's 65 upgrade they add remote mount turbos and im not trying to go that route, I like to move as move as much air as possible in the current turbo housing. No one is doing this with my platform so I need to gain as much knowledge as I can before moving forward. Wide band 02 is going in next week to keep track if AFR's