996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need honest unbaised opinion on a choice for a convertible...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 08:57 PM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Need honest unbaised opinion on a choice for a convertible...

I miss having a convertible.

I am shopping for a convertible in the $35,000 range.

I have considered a new Honda S2000 which I can get for 31,000.

I am also considering a used Boxster S. I would prefer a 2003+ since it has the glass rear window but it may end up higher then my budget.

Any opinions or car suggestions?

Old 07-15-2004, 09:05 PM
Dr. T is infamous around these parts
David,
I've been very impressed and have enjoyed my S2000. It's a great roadster especially considering the price! Drive one and you'll know if it's for you.
-Glen

Old 07-15-2004, 09:15 PM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
Mr. T,

I have driven a 2001 and enjoyed it.

I have yet to drive the 2004 witht the 2.2 liter engine and updated transmission. I understand they also stiffened the body some more.

S2000 seems like a great buy.

Old 07-15-2004, 09:28 PM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
S2000 hands down. I'd look for a pre-2004 as it's a little more raw and still has the 9k rpm redline. With Honda reliability there is no worry at all about buying used. It is an AWESOME little car.

Old 07-15-2004, 09:42 PM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
I like the BMW M-cabriolet, the old shape. It's got a great big engine on a platform that can barely keep up with the power. Very intertaining! The cars mentioned can certainly beat it on a number of areas but that thing rocks.

Old 07-16-2004, 12:40 AM
JASCLASS is infamous around these partsJASCLASS is infamous around these parts
S2K.

Old 07-16-2004, 01:03 AM
Suneal is infamous around these parts
I say you get a Miata and slap on a Flyin' Miata FMII turbo kit (amongst other things).

Old 07-16-2004, 01:17 AM
Banned
Chordate is infamous around these parts
S2K.... I would get a pre '04 too, but there are disadvantegs and advanteges

Advanteges:
9000 RPM red line
Cheaper
A little more raw

Disadvanteges:
The '04 has more tourqe and a slightly better interior
The reason why they went from 9000 RPM to 8000 RPM was because there were some reliability issues with having such a high red-line... so you might expect some problems on the pre '04s if you drive it hard for extended periods of time...

Old 07-16-2004, 01:43 AM
msindi is infamous around these parts
murcielago barchetta
EDIT: missed a zero there LOL

Old 07-16-2004, 01:56 AM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
Originally posted by mehrabani1

The reason why they went from 9000 RPM to 8000 RPM was because there were some reliability issues with having such a high red-line... so you might expect some problems on the pre '04s if you drive it hard for extended periods of time...
that is completely untrue. they dropped the redline because of the increased displacement which they wanted for more low end torque. In essence they just shifted the powerband down. It was not in response to any reliability issues whatsoever because for the most part there haven't been any.

www.s2ki.com is your friend.

-Steve

Old 07-16-2004, 01:59 AM
Dr. T is infamous around these parts
The new engine is only for the NA market. The rest of the world still gets the 9000rpm redline.

Old 07-16-2004, 02:20 AM
Rob
Rob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of lightRob is a glorious beacon of light
I have an '02 S2000 also. It is a fun little car. Unfortunately, the steering has no feel in normal driving (including dull off center response), it's my greatest dislike with the car. IMHO, a lack of steering feel in a sports car, especially one as focused as the S2000, is a major oversight. What baffles me is they gave the car a race car like shifter - short throws, a compact gate and shift lever stops - but installed a steering rack which feels like it's out of an accord (I'm exaggerating a little). The car could be so much more enjoyable. On the positive side, the car has a quality feel, it's very solid and almost rattle free. It's got a decent ride, too.

Old 07-16-2004, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Rob
I have an '02 S2000 also. It is a fun little car. Unfortunately, the steering has no feel in normal driving (including dull off center response), it's my greatest dislike with the car. IMHO, a lack of steering feel in a sports car, especially one as focused as the S2000, is a major oversight. What baffles me is they gave the car a race car like shifter - short throws, a compact gate and shift lever stops - but installed a steering rack which feels like it's out of an accord (I'm exaggerating a little). The car could be so much more enjoyable. On the positive side, the car has a quality feel, it's very solid and almost rattle free. It's got a decent ride, too.
interesting. i have always felt that the steering feel is one of the best parts of the car. sure it does not provide as much feedback as a manual rack but compared to most other cars i think it is much better. i guess it is a subjective thing.

One thing is for sure, it has THE BEST shifter feel of any car made.

-Steve

Old 07-16-2004, 02:29 AM
Dtd350Z is infamous around these parts
Chrysler Crossfire.

But really, I'd say just go test drive the S2000, Z4, and a 350Z and pick the one you enjoy the most. 350Z is a nice car but I've never driven the other two.

Old 07-16-2004, 02:42 AM
Administrator
Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !
My 2000 Boxster S with 12K miles original owner?

OK, reread you post....Unbiased!

Um...My boxster S or maybe an Elise?

Last edited by Control It; 07-16-2004 at 02:45 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need honest unbaised opinion on a choice for a convertible...