996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

CEL and code P0420

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Banned
cfi_luz is infamous around these parts
CEL and code P0420

Just got a CEL today on the way home and when I pulled the code it was a P0420. I've read this could be due to switching the sensors by mistake (front to rear). I checked twice but I'll look again tomorrow. Could this have anything to do with my new exhaust (200 cell cats)? No sure if a cat inefficiency code is different but I can't see that happening with the 200 cell cats. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-08-2008, 10:23 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
That code is : Catalyst System Low Efficiency......So yes it could have to do with the new cats , it would be an issue if the banks are in reverse order

Last edited by kilrgt; 05-08-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:52 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Do the banks have to be reversed to get this code?

Old 05-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Banned
I've read its not from getting the banks switched (not sure if thats even possible as the wires aren't long enough to go to the wrong side of the car), but from switching the primary o2 sensor for the after-cat sensor.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:16 AM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cfi_luz
I've read its not from getting the banks switched (not sure if thats even possible as the wires aren't long enough to go to the wrong side of the car), but from switching the primary o2 sensor for the after-cat sensor.
My question was wheather you can get that fault code without having the O2 sensors hooked up incorrectly.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:58 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
here is the info i found

Attached Images     
Old 05-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the info Colorinc!
Looks like a need a dataloger to eval the code. I get it very intermittantly after installing sport exhaust with 200 cell cats. I have cleared it twice but it continues to come on every week or so. I suspect if O2 sensors reversed the code would be constant? Maybe an O2 sensor is getting weak (aged)? I doubt its the valve lift problem since it is temporally related to the sport exhaust installation...

Old 05-09-2008, 01:54 PM
Banned
MBailey, yes that is my question also, is this possibly related to cat inefficiency (ie high flow cats that don't clear up as much emissions as the stock units). It sounds like your problem is very similar to mine if you keep getting the code and the sensors aren't switched. You can actually just stick your head under the rear of the car and see if the sensor with the grey sleeve is in the front or rear position. I think its actually due to the aftermarket cats though. Most people probably don't notice though as they have a tune to go along with their exhaust that may eliminate the CEL.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:08 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
check your wires look for cracks or a small short also corrosion where they plug into the harness thats what i ran into

hope this helps

tim

Originally Posted by MBailey
Thanks for the info Colorinc!
Looks like a need a dataloger to eval the code. I get it very intermittantly after installing sport exhaust with 200 cell cats. I have cleared it twice but it continues to come on every week or so. I suspect if O2 sensors reversed the code would be constant? Maybe an O2 sensor is getting weak (aged)? I doubt its the valve lift problem since it is temporally related to the sport exhaust installation...