996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How to get a bit more power out of the k16s ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 12:33 PM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
EPL definitely has the ticket for 16's. What was it, $3500 for the above numbers? It's all about the $/hp and for 16's, I think that is BY FAR the best bang for your buck.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by $manager
EPL definitely has the ticket for 16's. What was it, $3500 for the above numbers?
A bit less for me as I was the guinea pig, but I believe their price for this kit is right around (if not even a bit less) $3500.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:48 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Wow, thanks for the replies guys.

Hmm..for the k16/k16g turbos. What package would i need in order to everything synchronize correctly. I don't want to boost more boost. The car is my DD so i don't really want to put more stress on components, hence i was looking at freeing some easy hp not boosting more. How safe is this package also ?

Old 05-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Give Tony at EPL a call. He's a sponsor on the board:
www.eplabs.net
As far as safety, I happen to think my car runs quite conservatively (1.1 bar, low intake air temps, even 12 AFR under boost, 95% injector duty cycle, etc.) ... I wouldn't have it on my car if it weren't.
Also, since my car Tony has sold around 25 kits and I'm not aware of any complaints. I'll put my pom-poms down now.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:57 PM
hrs1 is infamous around these parts
ummm price reality check...around $8k...I am having this kit installed now in fla...on top of $3.5k for the kit, to install about $1k and new clutch with install $3.5k. Also other goodies im adding too more $$$...finger crossed it will have good numbers

Old 05-13-2008, 03:11 PM
I have K16/16g, EPL custom tune, 5 bar fpr, DGI Exhaust (with reducer rings), and custom (kevlar/organic hybrid) clutchmasters stage III clutch. All told, with install for everything, I have less than $6k into this car. Like I said though, I've been the guinea pig for alot of these so I've saved a few bucks here and there.

An exhaust and clutch upgrade are incidental costs of any 600+hp kit; also, if you shop around you can get deals on parts and install (I paid significantly less for my clutch and turbo install).

Last edited by Seal Grey Matte; 05-13-2008 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:34 PM
WyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud of
Do those turbos take a custom tune or is there already one out there for those? I current have the GIAC stage 2 tune, can it be modified or must it be scraped and a new one installed?

Old 05-13-2008, 04:33 PM
OCTurbo is infamous around these parts
similar question to above. I have the giac flashed ecu (non x-50). Would i need a new flash for these turbos?

Old 05-13-2008, 04:42 PM
Again, I'd Talk to Tony, but it's a need vs. want kind of thing.
Would I get tuning matched to the hardware... definitely.

Do you NEED to? Technically, no, but you'd want to be very careful about logging how your existing tuning responds to the new turbos... I'd look at AFRs, boost profile, EGTs, injector duty, etc.. Even if all those look safe, you're probably leaving a good amount of power on the table compared to a car tuned for these turbos.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:36 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
The 16/16g is a great mod and very driveable. They do run out of steam at about 5,000 RPM+. You get 480 peak HP, but compare that to my stock K24s and you can see that you give up some 80 HP near redline.

Not knocking Tony by any means. He seems very knowledgeable, and can probably hook you up with any turbo you specify.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 05-13-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:21 PM
WyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud ofWyattTT has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ari
The 16/16g is a great mod and very driveable. They do run out of steam at about 5,000 RPM+. You get 480 peak HP, but compare that to my stock K24s and you can see that you give up some 80 HP near redline.

Did his stock exhaust have anything to do with the power dying off so early? Or are they just dead at an early rpm no matter what?

Old 05-15-2008, 03:42 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
SpeedYellow
If my car ALREADY makes 375AWHP and 420AWTQ (last fall ran those numbers on a Mustang AWD dynamometer) with my stock K16's + EVOMS Stg 2 (1 BAR program) + exhaust what's the HP/TQ benefit of the 16G compressor wheel?
SpeedYellow,

Here is a mustang AWD dyno of a K16/16G 996TT with no other upgrades other than turbos and a SpeedTech Exhaust. Dotted line is with stock exhaust, solid line with Speedtech exhaust. Same day, same dyno, a couple of hours apart...the car stayed strapped down for the exhaust swap.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ari

Not knocking Tony by any means. He seems very knowledgeable, and can probably hook you up with any turbo you specify.

I agree, however this will be the case with most if not all k16 based turbo's. As you stated we have other turbo set ups as well.

Most recently and soon to be released a k24/garret hybrid ....opps I wasn't supposed to say anything about that just yet.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:13 PM
From what I've seen (my car's plot vs. One Lap K24 car's plot) Ari is 100% correct, K16/16gs will fall off on the last 500rpm before redline. Between my car and Manny's car we are at the same hp at 6,000hp and 60hp apart at redline.
The trade off is you spool 500rpm sooner and have a flatter torque curve in the midrange. Pick your poision.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:20 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Most recently and soon to be released a k24/garret hybrid ....opps I wasn't supposed to say anything about that just yet.
Tony, Let's hear about these, spill the beans :-)

I know everybody is curious now...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to get a bit more power out of the k16s ?