996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Almost There, New Symptoms. Won't Boost All The Way

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 07:30 PM
r34dy2walk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mikerosi
The Tee starts out big-to accept the pressure hose size, then you use reducers to facilitate the pressure gauge and air input sizes! Make sense??
No. Not really. Does anyone have pictures to test this?

Old 05-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mikerosi
You plug one end of the pressure hose, the one that comes off the pressure side of the turbo. Then you install the Tee onto the pressure hose on the other turbo. The Tee has an air gauge and a fitting to attach to your compressor or other air source.
What he said. The brass piece is the "T"
1 end goes into the boost hose
1 end gets a "bike" valve screwed into it. (highlighted in the picture)
1 end gets the boost gauge screwed into it.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Zippy; 05-16-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Ok, I guess I'll go visit a pool store or something.

Would they have something like this at Sears or no?

Old 05-16-2008, 10:35 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
You can get 90%+ of the stuff at home depot. I had to go to an industrial supply store to get a couple of things. 1. a couple of reducer fittings for the "T" and 2. the actual air-valve-thing. (Looks like for a bike tire, but is threaded where it attaches to the "T"

BTW, my boost tested was copied from BigBadBen's design.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:30 AM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the pics, Mike, it was hard to describe that dam Tee setup without those photos

Old 05-18-2008, 02:13 AM
Pleasure. I know how much of a PITA it is to deal with boost leaks. It's soo much easier to fix if you have the correct "tool".

Mike

Old 05-18-2008, 08:24 PM
by teal im guessing you mean the pressure tester.

Last symptom. It seems by 2-3k RPM sometimes i here like a honking.... sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesnt. still doesn't boost all the way.

Any ideas?

Old 05-19-2008, 07:34 AM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by r34dy2walk
by teal im guessing you mean the pressure tester.

Last symptom. It seems by 2-3k RPM sometimes i here like a honking.... sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesnt. still doesn't boost all the way.

Any ideas?
Have you replaced your diverter valves? They typically "honk" when going bad.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by Adam Bowles
Have you replaced your diverter valves? They typically "honk" when going bad.
I believe I stated that I did indeed change out my DV with Forge but in case I didn't, Yes. My DV's were replaced sometime last year.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
The reasons DV's honk when going bad is because you get a hole in a rubber diaphragm that boosted air blows through. The air being forced through the rubber and making it slap against itself and whistle causes the "honking". Think of it kind of like the way a whoopie cushion makes its noise.
This reafirms my belief that you've got a boost leak somewhere. The boosted air escaping through something rubber is what's causing your "honking".

Old 05-19-2008, 09:52 AM
porschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really niceporschedude996T is just really nice
Originally Posted by Zippy
... the actual air-valve-thing. (Looks like for a bike tire...
It is called a Schrader Valve. You can get them usually in 1/8 male pipe.

Cheers, KW

Old 05-19-2008, 11:14 AM
Well, I'm ordering new Silicone piping as well as a new F-Hose and a 5bar FPR so I guess I'll try to isolate the problem while setting it up.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:24 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
Just because you have newer forged DV's doesn't mean its not the problem. Depending on the ones you have they need to be lubed.Its metal sliding on metal, who knows something could be stuck in there causing one to be stuck open.....Its worth having a look when your doing your F-hose.Most come apart so you can clean them up and lube them.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by kilrgt
Just because you have newer forged DV's doesn't mean its not the problem. Depending on the ones you have they need to be lubed.Its metal sliding on metal, who knows something could be stuck in there causing one to be stuck open.....Its worth having a look when your doing your F-hose.Most come apart so you can clean them up and lube them.
100% correct, I'd check the vavles as well. FYI, however, a busted forge valve won't honk.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Thats fine. What exactly should I use to lube them? I was going to do it anyway. What exactly am I lubing up as well?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Almost There, New Symptoms. Won't Boost All The Way