996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Ring And Pinion Gear Destroyed!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 11:43 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Was there any signs that something was wrong in there?

I mean, had your front diff not failed, would you have ever noticed, or had you noticed anything different?

Old 05-15-2008, 12:13 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tom kerr

well you know what they say, todays problem is tomorrows upgrade!!

My philosophy has always been "You aren't having fun unless you break S**t"

Old 05-15-2008, 12:38 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Was there any signs that something was wrong in there?

I mean, had your front diff not failed, would you have ever noticed, or had you noticed anything different?
scary thing is car drove fine.

found out by the tranny magnet with metal on it. as part of normal tranny fluid change after last event.

fluid changed after each weekend and has always been fine till last one. one symtoms. so if you change fluid enough and no metal shavings you are good!

all gears and syncros were perfect.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:39 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HotRodGuy
My philosophy has always been "You aren't having fun unless you break S**t"
apparently you and I think alike!!

Old 05-15-2008, 01:30 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !

found out by the tranny magnet with metal on it. as part of normal tranny fluid change after last event.

fluid changed after each weekend and has always been fine till last one. one symtoms. so if you change fluid enough and no metal shavings you are good!

Guess I'm going to change mine as well then. May call Viper Bob and ask how they do it.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Guess I'm going to change mine as well then. May call Viper Bob and ask how they do it.
it seems as though just the one drain plug and looks fast and easy but remember I am a vascular surgeon not a car mechanic!!

Old 05-15-2008, 02:50 PM
formulab is infamous around these parts
tons of torque, things break

replace and move on.

Keep up the great driving

Old 05-15-2008, 05:08 PM
triple_nickel is infamous around these parts

Tom,
Did the drain plug have the 'flower' with fine particles on it after each weekend? I was told that it was 'normal' to see that.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Boulder GT3 is infamous around these parts
Sorry about the R&P. I had a 1st gear pinon on the input shaft fail on a G64 and it looked the same. It that case it turned out that there is a coating P uses on the gears. Almost like a metal bonding IIRC. At any rate, they had some issues with it and it would chip on the pinon and screw up the gear it mated with. Probably not helpful but it sure looked the same.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by triple_nickel
Tom,
Did the drain plug have the 'flower' with fine particles on it after each weekend? I was told that it was 'normal' to see that.
not to my knowledge ususally is clean