996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Looking for some 996TT Insight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 08:15 AM
thankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by ard
It's actually rather painful....

In 2004 (ie 2005 and 2005) Nav was standard. So all 996tts have it. They also have the MOST bus communications system.

All 2003s have the MOST bus communications system, but in 2003 Nav was an option.

If you want a newer car, then you'll be forced to deal with MOST.

The issue with most is that you need to pretty much elimiate it entirely: new head unit, new amps, new speakers, new wiring.

On earlier non-MOST cars the splicing in of a head unit is more conventional- more parts can be retained. Although arguably once you drop $3k for an Alpine double din head, and GPS drive, you'll want better than stock speakers...

In summary, I'd suggest that you don't use 'Nav' as a decision point. Buy the car based on the other issues: age, miles, mods, history, etc

OK - Makes sense on purchasing the car on the issues you just stated.

You mentioned MOST.

What does that stand for?

And are you saying that all 996TT from years - 2004/05 - they came standard with NAV?

Before those years it was an option?

Thanks for the insight.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:55 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thankful
OK - Makes sense on purchasing the car on the issues you just stated.

You mentioned MOST.

What does that stand for?
MOST

Originally Posted by thankful
And are you saying that all 996TT from years - 2004/05 - they came standard with NAV?
Yes

Old 05-15-2008, 01:03 PM
thankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of light
The X50 Package....

What exactly is this package?

I know it's a performance package - but what exactly comes in this package?

Thanks,

Old 05-15-2008, 03:14 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
The X50 is bigger turbos they have K24's vs the K16's on the non X50 TT.( few more HP)You cant go wrong with a 996, I am on number 4, I just cant seem to get away from them!. The 997 TT is nice, but think of the possibilities you have with all that extra cash in your pocket.Just do it and don't look back, once you own it you will ask your self how you went with out it for so long.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by kilrgt
The X50 is bigger turbos they have K24's vs the K16's on the non X50 TT.( few more HP)You cant go wrong with a 996, I am on number 4, I just cant seem to get away from them!. The 997 TT is nice, but think of the possibilities you have with all that extra cash in your pocket.Just do it and don't look back, once you own it you will ask your self how you went with out it for so long.
Love it!

How much of a difference can you feel out of the X50 package?

If I was to get a 996TT and say went with a package like this - http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...5-p-46738.html

Would I even miss the X50?

Old 05-15-2008, 03:46 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
IMHO, if you are going to mod, don't spend extra for the X50 (unless you get a hell of a deal). I replaced everything that was included in the X50 package for way less money (I am talking compared to new).

Old 05-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Perfect!

That's what I wanted to know....

Thanks!

Old 05-15-2008, 07:48 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
Yup what he said, chances are your going to mod the car and most likely you will end up changing up the turbos anyways.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:58 PM
In know for sure that at minimum I will do this kit.. or something like it - http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...5-p-46738.html

So in the end - I think you guys are right for sure!

I love the power factor and wont be able to keep it stock for too long...

Old 05-15-2008, 08:14 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by tom kerr
only real difference is the new turbos and some programing. same engine.

3.6 s

someone more knowledgeable than I can confirm, but the heads and rods are slightly different (theoretically, they can hold a bit more power.)

- chuck

Old 05-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Question - do the 996TT have power seats?

I think I saw that they have power backs - but from front to back - is it power?

Or memory seats?

Just wondering...

Thanks,

Old 05-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Sport seats are non power with no memory they only have power recline, the non sport seats can have all the options.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:45 AM
Cool - thanks for the insight.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ard
The issue with most is that you need to pretty much elimiate it entirely: new head unit, new amps, new speakers, new wiring.
Actually, you can leave the speakers and speaker wire. You must replace the head unit and amp. I upgraded my non-nav 2003 to a Kenwood Nav unit, and it has worked flawlessly. I powered the front and rear speakers off the internal amp in the headunit, then powered the Bose subwolfer via a small Rockford Fosgate amp. The new amp is the same size as the OEM CD changer, and since the CD changer was removed, I put the amp in that location.

The Kenwood nav is way better than anything Porsche offers, so if you want nav, go aftremarket.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Bowles
Actually, you can leave the speakers and speaker wire. You must replace the head unit and amp. I upgraded my non-nav 2003 to a Kenwood Nav unit, and it has worked flawlessly. I powered the front and rear speakers off the internal amp in the headunit, then powered the Bose subwolfer via a small Rockford Fosgate amp. The new amp is the same size as the OEM CD changer, and since the CD changer was removed, I put the amp in that location.

The Kenwood nav is way better than anything Porsche offers, so if you want nav, go aftremarket.
Interesting.

Do you have any pics of your center console - that you can share with me?

Thanks for the help!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking for some 996TT Insight