996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Looking for some 996TT Insight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 06:33 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
Sure, here you go...

The Kenwood nav unit wasn't too expensive, and the install was very reasonable, so for me it has worked out great. I think the shop who installed the unit did a nice job as well.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:16 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Adam Bowles
Actually, you can leave the speakers and speaker wire. You must replace the head unit and amp. I upgraded my non-nav 2003 to a Kenwood Nav unit, and it has worked flawlessly. I powered the front and rear speakers off the internal amp in the headunit, then powered the Bose subwolfer via a small Rockford Fosgate amp. The new amp is the same size as the OEM CD changer, and since the CD changer was removed, I put the amp in that location.

The Kenwood nav is way better than anything Porsche offers, so if you want nav, go aftremarket.
I did say "pretty much"...

The speakers and wires are minimal cost, and if you are doing a top quality system, a few hundred more for better drivers is not a bad plan. But you are correct it isn't absolutely essential

I do agree that there are some amps that can handle the funky Bose impedances.

To the OP: when doing your research, decide what vendor has the best MAP DATA. Then find out what systems use that map data. For me it was NavTech, then Alpine. (Still haven't bit that bullet, seems a europipe, flash, diverters and wastegate kit got in the way... )

A

PS Andy- PM me an email addy and I can send you a PDF of the porsche order guide ...I know I have 2003 and 2004. This will list every option code, description and cost. Indispensable when decoding used cars and what they have...

Last edited by ard; 05-16-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:44 PM
thankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of light
Adam - you're right - the NAV does look really good!

Does that act as your radio receiver and CD player as well?

Very nice! I really like the install as well - it cleans up that whole center console!

What model is the Kenwood unit?

Old 05-16-2008, 10:46 PM
thankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of light
ard - PM Sent.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:31 AM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
Why not here is a pic of my Install, The Kenwood is a great unit it does everything by that i mean AM/FM, Xm/Sirius, DVD,full Ipod control via the touch screen,Ipod video,CD, Hand frees cell phone Blue tooth and even has USB in.

Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2008, 01:01 AM
smokinxtreme has a spectacular aura aboutsmokinxtreme has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by kilrgt
Why not here is a pic of my Install, The Kenwood is a great unit it does everything by that i mean AM/FM, Xm/Sirius, DVD,full Ipod control via the touch screen,Ipod video,CD, Hand frees cell phone Blue tooth and even has USB in.
WHERE DID YOU GET THOSE CF PIECES......LOOKS COOL

Old 05-17-2008, 01:19 AM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
Thanks! The custom carbon fiber work was done by MA carbon, they are a board sponsor .I cant say enough good things about them, great people to deal with and they have the best carbon out there.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:38 AM
I had no idea that the New units would do that..... That's way more than any of the factory units would do.

So you can use your cell phone through blue tooth in this system?

I love that!

And how does the ipod integration work?

Old 05-17-2008, 07:43 AM
Thanks! The custom carbon fiber work was done by MA carbon, they are a board sponsor .I cant say enough good things about them, great people to deal with and they have the best carbon out there.
Yeah the carbon looks really good.

Is this similar to the Carbon package from the factory?

Old 05-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Yes 100% hands free! It also loads your contact numbers, all I do is get in the car and go, it automatically connects, this unit is incredible!
The Ipod integration works very well, all touch screen controls, list , shuffle,everything thing your Ipod does.Honestly I can say enough good things about this unit.

It is the Large carbon package from Ma carbon.

Last edited by kilrgt; 05-17-2008 at 07:48 AM.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:52 AM
Yes 100% hands free! It also loads your contact numbers, all I do is get in the car and go, it automatically connects, this unit is incredible!
The Ipod integration works very well, all touch screen controls, list , shuffle,everything thing your Ipod does.Honestly I can say enough good things about this unit.

It is the Large carbon package from Ma carbon.
Man - you are being a HUGE help to me right now.

Few things -

1. The Nav - can you play the iTunes videos through it?

2. Does it play DVD's?

3. So it takes your address book - and syncs it?

4. What model is it?

Carbon -

How does it look in person? Some of the older kits - looked very press on double sided tape like....

Not sure if there is another way of going at it - other than that.

How different is this kit - from the factory options?

Thank you so much for your help here - this is a MAJOR help to me!

Old 05-17-2008, 08:04 AM
IPOD
Yes you can play itunes Video, I use mine for music videos.

Yes it Plays DVD's even while driving.

Yes you upload your phone book once and it is always in there.
I am in Canada so the model numbers may differ from the US, mine is a DDX-8019

Carbon
My Carbon is perfect, it looks new because it is,my original stuff was fading and cracking.

The only difference from mine to a factory kit is I had two parts custom made, one for the Kenwood unit and the other is for the Brockway OBD scanner tool.My car is a TT with work so I needed something to see how the motor is running.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:55 AM
Onetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant futureOnetime has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ari
Spanked a 997S (not really fair, but he asked for it) really bad last year. I mean REALLY bad. Like in handprints on his *** bad. PLUS the TT will always be a special car. NUFF said.

Good one! I have to remember this.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by thankful
Adam - you're right - the NAV does look really good!

Does that act as your radio receiver and CD player as well?

Very nice! I really like the install as well - it cleans up that whole center console!

What model is the Kenwood unit?
Thanks bro.

Yes, it acts as am/fm receiver, cd/dvd, nav (hard drive, so no nav disc's are required), sirius sat radio, bluetooth, back-up camera, ipod, usp port, etc.. It also has an sd card slot for nav map updates...you go to Garmin's website (who does the nav for Kenwood) and download it to an sd card, then update your maps. You can also download pictures from the sd card to your headunit to use for backgrounds...pretty cool!

My unit is a DNX7100, and it's only about 3 months old, but about 3 weeks after I had it installed they came out with a newer unit...just figures...I'm not sure of the model number.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Wow - this is great - it opens a lot of things up for me now....

BTW - you said it has a backup camera?

So kind of like the newer vehicles then?

I love it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking for some 996TT Insight