996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Looking for some 996TT Insight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 06:25 PM
thankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of light
Looking for some 996TT Insight

Hi, my name is Andy Williamson - I am new here. I have been on the forum for a while now, but have not posted.

I am looking for some info and help here.

I am looking at buying a Porsche for my next car - and have been looking at some new ones - the 997S.

But recently - I have been looking at the 996TT - due to the fact that I can pick up a really nice one for a decent price right now.

The main thing is - I want power - and love the TT model. I have looked at the 997TT as well - but there are a few things that hold me back - price - I know I can pay it - but it's still up there... and then the wait to get one...

I didn't look at the 996 - because I thought I wanted a brand new car - and "Newer" technology etc....

Really - I would love some feedback on the 996TT.

Good / bad / great....

And maybe the differences between the 996TT and 997TT.

Last but not least - I have to imagine that the 996TT would sit a bit higher on the performance scale than the 997S - but could be wrong...

Thanks for the feedback - and look forward to hearing from you.

Have a great night!

Old 05-14-2008, 06:46 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
I think that the 996 tt is an awesome car. I had the 997 C2S and 997 GT3 and I love the turbo. It definitely has a lot more torque than the C2S and is a lot faster with simple mods. The GT3 is a true driver's car and if you plan to track a lot, I would place it ahead of the turbo. However as a everyday car, the turbo is great.

I'm sure the 997 tt is a step above and I was thinking of getting one, but the price of the 996 tt is unbelievable. I got a perfect turbo with 15,000 miles and CPO for 70 grand- half of the invoice price. Put on europipe exhaust, PSS9's, FVD steering wheel, and interior carbon and I am very happy with the car's looks and handling. Next step, UMW flash!

Old 05-14-2008, 06:47 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by thankful
The main thing is - I want power - and love the TT model. I have looked at the 997TT as well - but there are a few things that hold me back - price - I know I can pay it - but it's still up there... and then the wait to get one...

I didn't look at the 996 - because I thought I wanted a brand new car - and "Newer" technology etc....

Good / bad / great....

And maybe the differences between the 996TT and 997TT.

Last but not least - I have to imagine that the 996TT would sit a bit higher on the performance scale than the 997S - but could be wrong...
Andy in terms of sheer power the 7S has absolutely no chance. With 5-6k you could easily pump out close to 500 whp with these cars.

Simplistically, yes the 7 Turbo is better in every way, interior, exterior (by most standards), AWD system, Turbos, etc...but 40-60 better, not a chance.

The good... The 996 Turbo platform has proven to be quite bulletproof (the engine being derived from Porsche's LeMan winning GT1 block) being extremely reliable (when properly cared for) even up to 700bhp!

The bad...10-15% of all models MY01-MY05 had issues with second gear popping out. Although a quick trip around the block and this problem can be easily spotted.

The great...These cars can be had ridiculously (albeit sadly) cheap these days. With 20-25k you'll have a car that will best most of the world's exotics (430's, Gallardos, Murci's, etc...) both in a straight line and on track.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:59 PM
thankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of lightthankful is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by CarNerd
Andy in terms of sheer power the 7S has absolutely no chance. With 5-6k you could easily pump out close to 500 whp with these cars.

Simplistically, yes the 7 Turbo is better in every way, interior, exterior (by most standards), AWD system, Turbos, etc...but 40-60 better, not a chance.

The good... The 996 Turbo platform has proven to be quite bulletproof (the engine being derived from Porsche's LeMan winning GT1 block) being extremely reliable (when properly cared for) even up to 700bhp!

The bad...10-15% of all models MY01-MY05 had issues with second gear popping out. Although a quick trip around the block and this problem can be easily spotted.

The great...These cars can be had ridiculously (albeit sadly) cheap these days. With 20-25k you'll have a car that will best most of the world's exotics (430's, Gallardos, Murci's, etc...) both in a straight line and on track.
Man - I felt this way - but really wanted to hear from someone that owns and has had this car and or knows more about them than I do so far.

Let me ask you this.

What are the big differences in the 997TT engine over the 996TT.

And....

Does anyone know the 0-60 and 1/4 times on the 996TT stock?

Thanks a ton for the feedback!!!

Old 05-14-2008, 07:05 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Man - I felt this way - but really wanted to hear from someone that owns and has had this car and or knows more about them than I do so far.

Let me ask you this.

What are the big differences in the 997TT engine over the 996TT.

And....

Does anyone know the 0-60 and 1/4 times on the 996TT stock?

Thanks a ton for the feedback!!!

only real difference is the new turbos and some programing. same engine.

3.6 s

Old 05-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Spanked a 997S (not really fair, but he asked for it) really bad last year. I mean REALLY bad. Like in handprints on his *** bad. PLUS the TT will always be a special car. NUFF said.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:15 PM
I have some questions - there are different variations of the 996TT - the X50 or something....

Can someone help shine some light on those models and what they are for me...

Also - the Navigation system in the 996TT - are the map's in color?

Thanks a ton for the help here.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by ari
Spanked a 997S (not really fair, but he asked for it) really bad last year. I mean REALLY bad. Like in handprints on his *** bad. PLUS the TT will always be a special car. NUFF said.
I love that! A LOT!!!!!

Old 05-14-2008, 07:29 PM
Where can I find the factory specs for performance on the 996TT?

Old 05-14-2008, 07:57 PM
OneLap996TT is infamous around these parts
The 997tt engine is the same sans turbos as well as dual MAF sensors and a different air inlet system.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:46 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
I have some questions - there are different variations of the 996TT - the X50 or something....

Can someone help shine some light on those models and what they are for me...

Also - the Navigation system in the 996TT - are the map's in color?

Thanks a ton for the help here.
Yes, in 2005 Porsche came out with a Turbo S

See here- http://fast-autos.net/vehicles/Porsc...5/911_Turbo_S/

Where can I find the factory specs for performance on the 996TT?
What do you need?

0-60 3.8 sec
0-100 9.2 sec
1/4 mile 12.4 @ 116
top speed 192
skip pad .96g
60-0 119 ft

Those numbers are from fastautos.net

Old 05-14-2008, 10:19 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Forget navigation. Don't even bother. The nav in my 2004TT is 4 years behind the nav in my 2003 E39M5! And THAT is lacking compared to an Audi or Hyundai!

If you want nav, plan on pulling out the audio system and dropping in an Alpne with DVD based nav- for the very best, up to date Nav maps...

Old 05-15-2008, 05:22 AM
Originally Posted by CarNerd
Yes, in 2005 Porsche came out with a Turbo S

See here- http://fast-autos.net/vehicles/Porsc...5/911_Turbo_S/

What do you need?

0-60 3.8 sec
0-100 9.2 sec
1/4 mile 12.4 @ 116
top speed 192
skip pad .96g
60-0 119 ft

Those numbers are from fastautos.net

That's what I was looking for.

Thank You!

Old 05-15-2008, 05:25 AM
Originally Posted by ard
Forget navigation. Don't even bother. The nav in my 2004TT is 4 years behind the nav in my 2003 E39M5! And THAT is lacking compared to an Audi or Hyundai!

If you want nav, plan on pulling out the audio system and dropping in an Alpne with DVD based nav- for the very best, up to date Nav maps...

Hmmmm - OK....

So if I want to upgrade to the Alpine systems etc - would I look for a 996 that has NAV - so the spot is all in place - and go from there.

Or does it not matter?

Old 05-15-2008, 08:11 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Hmmmm - OK....

So if I want to upgrade to the Alpine systems etc - would I look for a 996 that has NAV - so the spot is all in place - and go from there.

Or does it not matter?
It's actually rather painful....

In 2004 (ie 2005 and 2005) Nav was standard. So all 996tts have it. They also have the MOST bus communications system.

All 2003s have the MOST bus communications system, but in 2003 Nav was an option.

If you want a newer car, then you'll be forced to deal with MOST.

The issue with most is that you need to pretty much elimiate it entirely: new head unit, new amps, new speakers, new wiring.

On earlier non-MOST cars the splicing in of a head unit is more conventional- more parts can be retained. Although arguably once you drop $3k for an Alpine double din head, and GPS drive, you'll want better than stock speakers...

In summary, I'd suggest that you don't use 'Nav' as a decision point. Buy the car based on the other issues: age, miles, mods, history, etc

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking for some 996TT Insight