996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Best loud exhaust for my GT700?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
They have different systems for whatever your need is. Their fabrication work is very impressive though.

John

Old 05-16-2008, 11:47 AM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by detailjohn
They have different systems for whatever your need is. Their fabrication work is very impressive though.

John

Their website doesnt show any of their products (or i just dont know how to access them )? Do you have any pictures of their exhaust setups?

Old 05-16-2008, 12:05 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
honestlly i cant see how some people spend 4 k on exuasts some time .... dont care how "pretty " it is. its going under your car . you can have some one fab one up for you for fraction of that ... and the sound, in all exhausts for the 996tt more or less sound the same to me ... some with a little more drone then others thats about it. all im concernd about is making power ..

Old 05-16-2008, 12:37 PM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by unvmym3
honestlly i cant see how some people spend 4 k on exuasts some time .... dont care how "pretty " it is. its going under your car . you can have some one fab one up for you for fraction of that ... and the sound, in all exhausts for the 996tt more or less sound the same to me ... some with a little more drone then others thats about it. all im concernd about is making power ..
I've said this once and i'll say it again. When you buy an exhaust, you're not just paying for parts (although in some cases parts can be close to 3k alone), a lot of what you can be paying for is R&D. There is a lot more to it than most know. You can't just throw on a couple mandrel bend pieces of metal and wa-la. You have to take into account back pressure, diameter, bend, etc... And the best exhausts companies out there spend countless hours finding optimal points of each of these and more. That's why you bought a Porsche and not a Buick. Years and years of R&D equals proven performance. Honestly how much do you think it takes to produce a Turbo. Not a 120k, that's for darn sure. How do you think the CEO of Porsche can make 100 million a year!?

And all sound more or less the same? Are you kidding me? Listen to these two and tell me they sound more or less the same.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0BaNLOrX47k

http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t...ustedit1-1.flv

Last edited by CarNerd; 05-16-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:59 PM
SpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura about
I actually *really* liked the GMG exhaust until I heard the Europipe. Of course the truth is that the best exhaust for a Turbo is "so exhaust"

The Europipe sounds VERY refined.

Also hard to gauge it because you don't know what turbos or header they are running. that could change the game entirely.

We know that the GT2 has K24's at a minimum.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:00 PM
jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !jags911tt Is a GOD !
speed yellow is right on im doing externals very soon... im running a custom 3 in . with straight through 3 in Burns race mufllers , and no cats ... that sounds insane ... cant wait to hear eveything working together,
Thats my setup man! j/k you will love it

Old 05-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow
I actually *really* liked the GMG exhaust until I heard the Europipe. Of course the truth is that the best exhaust for a Turbo is "so exhaust"
SY, did you mean "no" exhaust?

The Europipe sounds VERY refined.

Also hard to gauge it because you don't know what turbos or header they are running. that could change the game entirely.

We know that the GT2 has K24's at a minimum.
Yes and everyone has a different ear (likes and dislikes) per say. More racey, less refined, more refined, less racey, loud, quiet, etc... My point was that there is a wide range of sound with these cars and that they dont all sound more or less the same.

That particular GT2 was running their WC-GT header as well as their World Challenge exhaust. But for the most part between a K24 and K16 car the exhaust notes will be fairly similar.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
My car sounds like a pissed off dump truck imo! All I can hear is turbo.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:34 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CarNerd
I've said this once and i'll say it again. When you buy an exhaust, you're not just paying for parts (although in some cases parts can be close to 3k alone), a lot of what you can be paying for is R&D. There is a lot more to it than most know. You can't just throw on a couple mandrel bend pieces of metal and wa-la. You have to take into account back pressure, diameter, bend, etc... And the best exhausts companies out there spend countless hours finding optimal points of each of these and more. That's why you bought a Porsche and not a Buick. Years and years of R&D equals proven performance. Honestly how much do you think it takes to produce a Turbo. Not a 120k, that's for darn sure. How do you think the CEO of Porsche can make 100 million a year!?

And all sound more or less the same? Are you kidding me? Listen to these two and tell me they sound more or less the same.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0BaNLOrX47k

http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t...ustedit1-1.flv
R&D my ***, its a turbo car , its not rocket science ..... its not something for a natural aspirated car , they dont have to tune harmonics that much and it fairly simple say even if u make 3 hp less then the 5 k exuast with all that"R&D" who cares i think the price diff makes up for it.... say what you want i could care less its your wallet you just paying the famous porsche tax . i know how my car runs and sounds,and it costs fraction of what the super expensive exuasts cost, look at marksi's setup almost same as mine and hes putting down crazu numbers no problems there,but if you want to be cool and be the one the blows 4 k for an exhuast then be my guest. you can get the 100 cel cats and fab speed pipes and make more power then any of these exhausts on here. and about a buick my best freind has agrand national that would make look as you ran him in reverse ....

Last edited by unvmy996; 05-16-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:03 PM
R&D my ***, its a turbo car , its not rocket science ..... its not something for a natural aspirated car , they dont have to tune harmonics that much and it fairly simple say even if u make 3 hp less then the 5 k exuast with all that"R&D" who cares i think the price diff makes up for it.... say what you want i could care less its your wallet you just paying the famous porsche tax . i know how my car runs and sounds,and it costs fraction of what the super expensive exuasts cost, look at marksi's setup almost same as mine and hes putting down crazu numbers no problems there,but if you want to be cool and be the one the blows 4 k for an exhuast then be my guest. you can get the 100 cel cats and fab speed pipes and make more power then any of these exhausts on here.
Re-read my post. I said, you "could" be paying for R&D. In a lot of cases you're paying for the parts. Good cats like the ones GMG and UMW use run close to 1k per cat. Those great 100 cell Fabspeed cats you love so much have been infamously known to go out after 3 years of normal use. Woo-hoo!

and about a buick my best freind has agrand national that would make look as you ran him in reverse ....
Well my best friend has a civic that runs 7's, blah blah. This isnt a "who's bigger" contest. You severely missed the point with the Buick and Porsche comparison. This is going no where. Your initial comment was pointless.

Obviously I've proven that there are a wide range of exhaust sounds with these cars. And with regard to money, honestly who cares? Its not your money so why try and make people feel bad about how they spend theirs? If someone wants to spend 5k on a Europipe, purely for the sound, good for them.

Do you go up to every Lamborghini owner and tell them how dumb they are for how they "waste" their money paying Lambo tax? Doubt it.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Banned
cfi_luz is infamous around these parts
Haha, I agree about the R&D bs. Pretty much all the exhaust make similar power numbers. Turbo car exhaust are not rocket science, you're talking a few mandrel bends and some mufflers, not even close to 3k in parts alone. If you want to see a company who does a lot of research on harmonics, etc look at Corsa. Those exhaust are nearly silent at cruise but loud when you are on it. They have multi-million dollar facilities and state of the are equipment and I used to think they raped people charing 1500 for an exhaust.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by cfi_luz
Haha, I agree about the R&D bs. Pretty much all the exhaust make similar power numbers. Turbo car exhaust are not rocket science, you're talking a few mandrel bends and some mufflers, not even close to 3k in parts alone. If you want to see a company who does a lot of research on harmonics, etc look at Corsa. Those exhaust are nearly silent at cruise but loud when you are on it. They have multi-million dollar facilities and state of the are equipment and I used to think they raped people charing 1500 for an exhaust.
Again, i said "could." In many of the more expensive exhaust cases you're paying for parts, sound and quality. Yes a FS gen I is $2500 but the drone is nuts, the quality is poor, and the sound isnt nearly what you'd get out of an Europipe. The question remains if the additional $2500 is worth the sound and quality, which can only be left up to the buyer to decide. Case closed.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:18 PM
SpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura about
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....................

The thread goes like this....

#1 No back-pressure ALWAYS makes he most power in a turbocharged application.
#2 Since this isn't about dyno-numbers since we all know #1 it's about what sounds best.
#3 We all have an idea as to what sounds best but with headers and turbo-setup even this can make a big difference in sound quality.
#4 Harmonics: It's why a Ferrari V8 sounds so unbelievably sweet. Hard to encapsulate with a Porsche Turbo due to #3 (turbo setup plus headers, if applicable)
#5 Wipe all of the above if you're running CATLESS in which case we have to start all over again because this changes all of the flow dynamics.

The REAL question needs to be this:

"I have THIS exact setup. These headers (or not) stock turbos (or not) and CAT's (or not) and I would like to buy an exhaust system. Who has a sound file that represents this EXACT (pre-exhaust setup) with 3-4 different muffler options and then I can choose between them."

Old 05-16-2008, 02:32 PM
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....................

The thread goes like this....

#1 No back-pressure ALWAYS makes he most power in a turbocharged application.
#2 Since this isn't about dyno-numbers since we all know #1 it's about what sounds best.
#3 We all have an idea as to what sounds best but with headers and turbo-setup even this can make a big difference in sound quality.
#4 Harmonics: It's why a Ferrari V8 sounds so unbelievably sweet. Hard to encapsulate with a Porsche Turbo due to #3 (turbo setup plus headers, if applicable)
#5 Wipe all of the above if you're running CATLESS in which case we have to start all over again because this changes all of the flow dynamics.

The REAL question needs to be this:

"I have THIS exact setup. These headers (or not) stock turbos (or not) and CAT's (or not) and I would like to buy an exhaust system. Who has a sound file that represents this EXACT (pre-exhaust setup) with 3-4 different muffler options and then I can choose between them."
Touche SY. Thanks for getting us back on topic. John, i'm working on getting Fabryce to do some fly-bys with thier GT2 (similar 700+ setup), but i think he's pretty busy as they're in race season. If the GT2 is at their shop maybe i can steal Ryan and have him do a couple.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Former Vendor
dk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud ofdk996tt has much to be proud of
look at the Switzer exhaust. here it is on my car with the bypass pipes (no cats).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkg2EMpPeeA

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best loud exhaust for my GT700?