996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Loose wire by headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 10:13 PM
911TurboRules has much to be proud of911TurboRules has much to be proud of911TurboRules has much to be proud of911TurboRules has much to be proud of911TurboRules has much to be proud of911TurboRules has much to be proud of911TurboRules has much to be proud of911TurboRules has much to be proud of
Loose wire by headlights

Hi,

I have a problem with my right xenon headlight flickering. I've replaced the bulb a week ago which seemed to fix it but now it's flickering again with the replacement bulb. I'm assuming it's the ballast/ignitor is bad? Any thoughts?

The left headlight is working fine. I have a 2002 911 Turbo.

In the process of removing the headlight assembly I noticed this wire just floating around. Does anyone know what it's supposed to connect to?

Thanks,
Paul

Old 05-18-2008, 10:17 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
Its the emergency hood release or the gas lid release one of those two .It has nothing to do with your light flickering

Old 05-18-2008, 10:24 PM
911TurboRules has much to be proud of911TurboRules has much to be proud of911TurboRules has much to be proud of911TurboRules has much to be proud of911TurboRules has much to be proud of911TurboRules has much to be proud of911TurboRules has much to be proud of911TurboRules has much to be proud of
does it connect to anything or does it just hang there?

Old 05-19-2008, 10:00 AM
DMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud of
LOL.... that is your emer hood release in case you ever have a dead battery.... What you should do with it is fish it through to a place where you can get at it so that way you are able to pop your hood with it without using your keys.... TRUST ME!!! SAVED ME alot of grief!! kilrgt was right..>!!

Old 05-19-2008, 11:32 AM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Check the little silver pins on the back of the headlight connectors. I had the same problem and it was because a pin or two were bent and not going fully inside the female piece when putting the head light back in. The flickering is because its not making a solid connection and probably touching over bumps ect. Once u straighten them out be careful when re-installing the head light that its lined up properly or it will happen again.

Edit : Little silver pins im talking about go into that white female piece in the photo

Old 05-19-2008, 12:20 PM
That wire is the emerg hood release. I just tested it out this morning. Seems kind of wierd to have a wire just floating around.

I will check the connector pins tonight. I'm thinking it can be the pins but from a cursory look they didn't seem bent and the whole headlight assembly seems to be intact. If it is the harness then the HID and highbeam and foglights would probably flicker also but they did not. Just the HID beam flickered. It could be just the pins to the HIDs that may be bent but now I'm leaning towards the ballast being bad. I just ordered a used one off ebay for $200. Hopefully this will fix everything!

Thanks for your help
Paul