996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Dunlop Super Sport Race

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 08:07 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Dunlop Super Sport Race

Has anyone tried or have information on the new Dunlop Super Sport Race tire? I understand it is DOT approved.

Old 07-19-2004, 08:16 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Chad,
I was looking into these as well. They are only available in 18's which suits you but not me. I haven't taken the 18 inch plunge yet.

Here is a translated Google link that may work. I really like the tread pattern and they are supposed to be a fairly soft compound.

http://translate.google.com/translat...D%26ie%3DUTF-8

Old 07-19-2004, 08:20 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice

Old 07-19-2004, 08:21 AM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
They are not DOT legal as far as I know.... We have a set of them mounted on 1pc BBS mag wheels in the shop and are supposed to be an awesome tire...
Evan

KPV

1 a bearing surface mixture developed particularly from racing, which ensures a maximum at drying handling, without neglecting the characteristics in the wet handling

2 a tire outline derived from the engine haven, some max. Bearing surface broad with unchanged total width ensures

3 a changed profiling (high positive portion) for maximum Grip on dry and wet road

4 the increased, gripstabilen shoulder blocks, on max. Side guidance laid out, high transverse forces are transferred can make possible and extreme rates of turn
5 a broad profile in the middle range for an accurate steering and responsing mode as well as a high trace stability and a very good straight line discharge

6 an adapted depth of profile for max. Performance with engine-haven-similar employments

7 JLB (= Jointless nylon Bondage),
the endless nylon coil around the bracing plies ensures for the fact that those construction remains in all "situations in life" and also at highest speeds in form. The endless coil avoids overlapping ends and prevents thereby "internal injuries" of the tire.

8 MFS (= maximum Flange Shield) is just as simple as effective Dunlop patent of a bulge reinforcement, those the expensive aluminum wheels with broad tires before damages (e.g. at pavements o.ae.) protects.

cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
KPV,

I have read that German website. It is www.dunlop.de . It it the same info, only translated. I was afraid the widest tire they make is in the 285/18 size.

Last edited by cjv; 07-19-2004 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:23 AM
cjv
Originally posted by AMG ETR
They are not DOT legal as far as I know.... We have a set of them mounted on 1pc BBS mag wheels in the shop and are supposed to be an awesome tire...
Evan
Evan,

They are DOT approved.

Old 07-19-2004, 08:24 AM
AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !AMG ETR Is a GOD !
Originally posted by cjv
Evan,
They are DOT approved.
Hum didn't realize that...are they sold here?? I haven't heard of anyone that carries them here....
Evan

Old 07-19-2004, 08:25 AM
KPV
I was talking to Cargraphics about importing them. Hershel uses the Dunlop Super Sport SP9000's on their tire and wheel packages. On the surface, the SP9000 pattern is very similar but the rain grooves are wider and the compounds are different.

Chad,
What sizes are you looking for?

Old 07-19-2004, 08:28 AM
cjv
Originally posted by AMG ETR
Hum didn't realize that...are they sold here?? I haven't heard of anyone that carries them here....
Evan
Vintage Tires Limited in Nova Scotia is the distributor for NA

Britian West Motorsports
Pneus Touchette
SascoSports Inc.
Roger Kraus Racing

Old 07-19-2004, 08:31 AM
cjv
Originally posted by KPV
I was talking to Cargraphics about importing them. Hershel uses the Dunlop Super Sport SP9000's on their tire and wheel packages. On the surface, the SP9000 pattern is very similar but the rain grooves are wider and the compounds are different.

Chad,
What sizes are you looking for?
265's and 335's or whatever size would have the correct OD match. The 265/650 and 335/650 in the Dunlop Vintage Series would work, but they are not DOT approved.

Old 07-19-2004, 08:35 AM
I soon will be a supporting member
dbelleperc is infamous around these parts
You'll know if the tire is DOT approved because "DOT" will be stamped on the sidewall of the tire.

Have a look for yourself. Tire Rack

Old 07-19-2004, 08:38 AM
KPV
Chad,
Regarding DOT approval.......
I, like many, were running the non-DOT Yoko AVS Sports in a 315/25/19 size. I am now on Michelin PS2's.
In any case, I was under the impression that the tires that are not DOT approved are in fact TUV approved. The TUV approval is a stricter specification as I understand it. I also understand it is a decision made by the tire manufacturer bean counters as to whether the cost to DOT certify justifies the potential market share they will gain. What would be your reason for not running TUV approved tires in lieu of TUV/DOT approved tires?

Old 07-19-2004, 08:42 AM
cjv
Thumbs up

Ken,

I almost forgot. Thanks for the translation.

Old 07-19-2004, 08:47 AM
cjv
Ken,

I am currently running MPSC 265's and 315's. I also have a set of Hoosier's 275's and 335's.

I saw the Dunlop SP Super Sport Race in September issue of Excellence Magazine, page 52. It says there that these tires are DOT approved. I do not believe the TUV approval would get you off the hook in case of an accident in the US. I could be wrong.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dunlop Super Sport Race