996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake Kit Released

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
We are working as fast as we can on these. The backorders I have are waiting inline. Its a much more intense process.

I think I might do some Fiberglass boxes as well that we paint. Getting the "shiny" finish on the carbon takes some work!

Old 05-31-2008, 10:54 AM
spoonito is infamous around these parts
Dan,

I recieved the intake this morning... It's on and pics and review will be up tomorrow.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:16 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Awesome. If you have step by step instructions on each product, I will give you a $50 credit for each install article you write.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Let me just apologize now for the extremely long post!!!

Install Pics of the intake. I don't have a complete step by step, so I hope this will do.

Unpacking:

Step 1:

Loosen the bolt to the right of the engine cover latch and the "hose clamp" that secures the MAF. One suggestion that I have is to move the LT Boost hose out of the way.

Step 2:

Removal of the stock airbox is done by rotating the box counter clockwise and pulling out and up.

Step 3:

Remove the MAF sensor and carefully place it in the new MAF tube provided. Ensure that the sensor is pointing in the same direction as facing it "backwards" can affect the sensors measuring capabilities. When assembling the MAF and sensor, remember that the mesh screen should be located closest to the Air Filter.

Step 4:

This is where moving the LT boost hose helps out. When assembling the LT air box and the MAF tube Patience is definately a virtue. It took me the longest to get this part done. It takes alot of maneuvering to get this in. Compared to the Aluminum box that Dan has on the Vivid site, it's alot harder to get in because there's a hole instead of a "slot" that the MAF sits in which makes it harder to assemble. There is a small silicone ring that slides over the MAF on the air box side under the filter. Also another suggestion would leave all hardware loose until the whole unit is assembled.

Step 5:

Slide the hose clamps on the silicone tube then attach the RT airbox to the system. Ensure that everything is assembled correctly before tightening everything up. Remember to plug the MAF sensor harness back into the sensor. Replace the attaching hardware to the RT of the engine cover latch with the new supplied hardware.

Step 6:

Attach CF cover to the LT Air Box, sart engine and enjoy.

There were other screws and washers in the kit that I didn't use. Most likely it was for the Al intake. Also there was a foam strip that was included. This was not referenced in the Online instructions for the Al intake, and I can only assume that it is mounted directly behind the LT CF box on the new MAF tube to help seal off the hole for the tube to pass through.

Ok, so here's my quick review of the AP CF intake. For reference I have a 2001 996tt. I have a Fabspeed Gen 1 exhaust and it had a K&N panel filter before I installed the AP intake. I did some Highway, local, and traffic driving with windows up and windows down. Only thing I noticed as far as sound was that the exhaust had more of a "burbble" sound on the over run coming down from higher RPM's. I didn't notice any increased intake noise, only because the Fabspeed is so loud to begin with and it drones at 2k rpm.

Power seems to come on more smoothly in both part and full throttle applications. Before when the boost came on it almost seemed like there was a "step" in the power curve. Now it feels more linear in the power application. The 1-2 shift also feels smoother. I think that this is very important as to me it makes the car more driveable and more enjoyable. It doesn't feel like there is a huge increase in power (Butt Dyno) but as previously mentioned everything feels smoothed out and to me makes it worth the money along with the CF boxes!

I will be taking the intake off and reinstalling it as I didn't add the foam strip, and I am also having some fitment issues. Nothing big, but things that I want to take care off.

Review on fitment and looks:

This being the first run, there is room for improvment and I'm sure Dan will deliver. Overall fit and finish is great, however I ran into some issues (could just be my car...).

Fitment:
The attachment bracket for hardware on the RT CF airbox does not line up with the mounting hole in the engine compartment. My suggestion for this would be to increase the length of the bracket and make the hole into a "slot" to allow for variances in the box and the mounting location.

Also the RT box rubs against where the RT uppper boost hose connects to the metal "Y" pipe. I couldn't get a clean pic of it, but from this pic I think you'll know what area I'm talking about.

Finish:

Finish on the CF looks good, although I have some areas that could use improvement that I noticed.

1. In the resin / clear coat, I noticed that there are some bristles probably from the brush that was used. Not a big deal to me, but for some one looking for the perfect finish this would be something to watch for.
2. Also as far as the weave goes on the outer most layer, if possible I would "hide" any of the overlapping seams as much as possible to give it a cleaner look. Again I don't care because the functionality is still there, and that's why I bought it. As some one else on the forum stated, I don't drive with the engine cover open so no one will see it...

Overall I'm very happy with the system and if I had to do it over I would still purchase this intake. Now I'm just waiting for the 2nd snorkel to get here.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Former Vendor
Thanks for your pictures and feedback. Will address these issues with you tomorrow.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:09 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
" The attachment bracket for hardware on the RT CF airbox does not line up with the mounting hole in the engine compartment."

Spoonito
So how did you manage to screw it on?

Old 06-02-2008, 11:46 AM
I enlarged the hole slighty in the bracket.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Former Vendor
Just so everyone knows, Spoonito was on a deadline and we rushed and overnighted Saturday delivery on this. I apologize for some of the issues. I will personally test fit and check the others with instructions. This was the first Production one to ship.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:01 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
Great product and service as always dan! Huge thumbs up!

Old 06-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Former Vendor
We do the best we can. Waiting for Spoonito feedback again to look at his issues.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:43 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
did someone say dual snorkel? any pics of one installed?

Old 06-02-2008, 06:06 PM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
I will as soon as its shipped...

Old 06-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Former Vendor
I will have 2 boxes from clear coat tomorrow. I am going to test fit before they ship because of Spoonito issues. Those will ship. Kilrgt yours is in the next batch we should have by the end of the week.

Thanks!

Old 06-02-2008, 06:23 PM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vividracing
I will have 2 boxes from clear coat tomorrow. I am going to test fit before they ship because of Spoonito issues. Those will ship. Kilrgt yours is in the next batch we should have by the end of the week.

Thanks!
Cool if mine arrive this week.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Former Vendor
yours is one of those 2.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake Kit Released