996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

building THE super transmission.........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 09:30 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DynamicMotoring
Awesome, keep us updated. And when youre done, hook us up with prices and more details for the people who might want the same.
all picks how to and prices will be posted as to maybe help someone out.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:33 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sonny
Hey Tom, you won't regret it doing this mod., I have done the same thing a few times, mostly on high hp air cooled Porsches(993's), it really extends the life of the tranny, the side cover is a must do, I will keep complexity to a minimum, eg. the thermostat circuit,althou a good idea, I never have a use for it, don't see a need for it in a 70%+track car.,the Guard stuff is bullet proof, also good oil is a must (Mobil SHC/Devlac), cheers, Sonny.
Sonny thanks but I am a gauge freak and love info and I want TO KNOW that tranny cooler is working so for me a gauge is a must. the thermistat is necessary because when cold it will keep the cooler circuit closes when up to temp will open.

Martin, take her out for a spin at Daytona!! I hope I can keep this thing on the road with the RWD, the LSD should help.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by dublinoh
Tom Why add a thermostat? You do almost all track, so why not run it all the time? What's the down side? And the thermostat could fail...and two more fittings to leak. Just curious.
cant flow the cool fluid the cooler the pump is so strong that when the fluid is cold and doesnt flow well the radiator will split. really do need it for my set up. also inline filter.

Jean, as always was hoping for your expertise and appreciate your input!

Old 05-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by landjet
Tom, you are the man. I'll be watching and learning.
Well more like a test mule

hope some of this may help others out.

the car will be run HARD the next several months ending up with some GT races in the fall and winter so I really would like the car to hold up!!

Old 05-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
+1. Do your homework here and it will really pay off. There are a few forum members that have changed their gearing and were very pleased with the results. I don't have the threads saved but if do some searching and PM'ing that should give you a good start.
looking into that, but the PCA and PBOC races in Florida include Sebring, back staight into 5th gear and Daytona well into 6th gear and near 180 speeds so not sure what to change cause also run shorter tracks like Homestead, Moroso, and Roebling.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:47 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Tom you will not have any issues with a RWD setup properly, especially with your monster tires , they transformed my car too with grip, no slip or slide just point and go!

I want to come to Daytona badly, send me a pm with that huge event you were talking about I cannot find it anymore?!

Old 05-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Subscribed...

I plan to do this also this year, so I'll be wanting to get that price list...

I fully expect we'll see more tranny issues with the more frequently/heavily tracked cars on this board...

I'm also going to install a cupcar shifter like the one that got installed in Matt C.'s GT2 this weekend... Amazing feel and positive shift...

Mike

Old 05-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
What are you doing with ratios?

Old 05-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Tom have you been able to fully qualify the differences between the Turbo, X50 and GT2 trannys? Most people assume that the "modified transmission" statement in the X50 package description may be misleading or non-existent. It would be nice to get to the bottom of it.

Are there options as to the final drive ratio with a guard LSD?

Are you doing anything in terms of LWFW and multi disc clutch?

Old 05-25-2008, 10:13 PM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
The LSD has nothing to do with the Ring & Pinion( as far as final drive ratio). It is the R & P that decides the final drive ratio. Standard is 9:31 = 3.444. that is common to TT,GT2,GT3. The Cup cars utilise 8: 32 = 4.00 . Not to clever a way to go in my view as it shortens already short 1st gear . The 8:32's wear out fast enough in Cupcars etc and the turbo torque is only going to exassapate that problem.
Despite the pedantic cries commonly heard here--apart from the obvious(oil cooler,nose housing) there is no difference in the respective transmissions.They share the same parts .
I quoted my view on easily achievable ratio improvements on your previous thread and your highest estimated track speed ( 180?/) fits neatly with my suggestion.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:29 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Agree with Red 9... 1) R&P change will not reduce RPM drops between shifts 2) it will shorten all gear ratios..Biggest mistake is...putting shorter gears on a high powered turbo car.. Against common wisdom, you need exactly the opposite!! N/A race engines don't have half the torque of a modified turbo car + they rev up to 9k RPMs, therefore benefit from shorter gearing.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by ari
Tom have you been able to fully qualify the differences between the Turbo, X50 and GT2 trannys? Most people assume that the "modified transmission" statement in the X50 package description may be misleading or non-existent. It would be nice to get to the bottom of it.

Are there options as to the final drive ratio with a guard LSD?

Are you doing anything in terms of LWFW and multi disc clutch?
I have had the X-50 tranny apart now many times. compared it to the "stock" version and also the GT2
there is no upgraded or strengthen parts between them all. the GT2 has the cooler that is about it.
dont recommend changing the R+P gear mostly cause the Cup car one looks like it would be destroyed in one lap. No one I know uses first gear in this car other than to drive to the grid so I dont care about that gear.

Oh yeah the GT2 has a LSD but not a strong one.

bottom line on upgrades.....gearing stayed the same, R+P stayed the same.
upgraded syncros to steel from brass. added 50/80 Guard LSD, added billet tranny cover (mad strength and upgrade, no flex) didnt need to upgrade tranny mount already have WEVO on the engine.
oil cooler with 1.5 quart more added. along with thermistat, filter, and temp sender to dash gauge.
drive shaft tunnel aerodynamics modified and cooler put there for max air flow.
car should be at the Zone 12 PCA Sebring event this Sat. let ya know what I break this time!!

car has LWFW with Stage 4 race clutch

Old 05-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Sharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud ofSharp has much to be proud of
not sure how applicable it is here, but in the offroad world we often cryo parts to increase strength, maybe look into getting it done on the R+P.... just a thought....

Old 05-26-2008, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Sharp
not sure how applicable it is here, but in the offroad world we often cryo parts to increase strength, maybe look into getting it done on the R+P.... just a thought....

thanks will check

Old 05-26-2008, 09:51 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
You are a beast Tom, I love it

PM me with the Daytona info when you can thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: building THE super transmission.........