996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

building THE super transmission.........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 01:08 AM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sharp
not sure how applicable it is here, but in the offroad world we often cryo parts to increase strength, maybe look into getting it done on the R+P.... just a thought....
I also heard that it does help quite a bit to cryogenically stress relieve the components.

You just need to make sure you keep your temps within the 200F range. The thermostat will help in directing the flow differently once a certain temp is reached.

Tom, I don't know what pump you are using, but the economical one I know that works is the 12V Tilton Model 40-524 that you can get for around $150 or an excellent quality Weldon 9200 for $550. The suction part is the key, the line needs to be larger (AN-8) than the spray side.

The best setup would be for sure to use something like this kit for cup cars

which is based on the OEM BEHR aluminum cooler and includes a thermostat, all the lines etc..etc..

Old 05-27-2008, 08:43 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
good stuff Jean, will check it out this week and post some pics.

martin thanks and check out the Ohio Audi club website.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:26 AM
Banned
Sonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud of
Tom, yes it makes sense with those temps, I'm in +80 degrees weather year round!, cheers, Sonny.

Originally Posted by tom kerr
Sonny thanks but I am a gauge freak and love info and I want TO KNOW that tranny cooler is working so for me a gauge is a must. the thermistat is necessary because when cold it will keep the cooler circuit closes when up to temp will open.

Martin, take her out for a spin at Daytona!! I hope I can keep this thing on the road with the RWD, the LSD should help.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:06 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
ok Jean relooked at the GT3 cooler on a car in my shop and it is WATER to oil cooled.

plumbed into the water FROM the engine to the radiators

we are going to go with that instead of air to oil. just doesnt seem like the air flow will be the best. and if the GT3 can use the water line from the engine we should be able also

would like to know what the temp of that water leaving the engine on the why to the front radiator is, if above 200 this wont work!

Old 06-11-2008, 10:22 AM
here are some pics, more to come...........
this is the tranny before it went back, you can see the two new return lines, one over 3 and 4th gear and the other over the R+P gears
also below that you can see the new billet stronger tranny cover, followed by where we mounted the cooler in the front driveshaft tunnel.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:58 AM
here is the rest of it...

Originally Posted by vincentdds
Tom
Can you list out all the specs and mods done to this tranny on one post. Thanks.
steel syncros
GT2 ring and pinion gear
billet side cover
oil to water tranny cooler
tranny inline filter
thermostat in line
temp gauge to the dash
two new return lines putting cool fluid over the 3-4 gear area and the R+P area
heavy duty tranny fluid pump
Guard LSD 50/80 lock up
RWD conversion
2 liter extra fluid capacity
new gear selector
here are the pics of the stuff we used..........enjoy!!

Old 06-13-2008, 09:45 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Tom, have you rigged up an oil temp guage yet, I'm still waiting on something for that.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:49 AM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
Very impressive set up Tom. Viperbob always does it right.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Tom, have you rigged up an oil temp guage yet, I'm still waiting on something for that.
if you mean on the tranny, yes, took it out on the hwy last pm and plain 6th gear cruising in the rain at 73 degrees the tranny temp levels out at 200 degrees!!

I have a switch to turn on that monster cooler and it also comes on automatically at 210 with the themostat.

will be at sebring tomorrow to see how things go........................

thanks Luis, Viperbob and Vortex should be commended just for putting up with me complaining nevermind the great work they do.
there transmission guy Kenny is a real wizzard!!

Old 06-13-2008, 10:15 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I mean a engine oil temp gauge.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I mean a engine oil temp gauge.

well that seemed like such a difficult job that they gave up on it

Old 06-13-2008, 01:09 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Wow, amazing build Tom. Can't wait to hear how it works!

Old 08-13-2008, 09:28 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Tom, very impressive tranny build.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by robertp
Tom, very impressive tranny build.

has been awesome at the track. the tranny gets VERY hot, I have the cooler come on at 200 degrees, without it it would run up to 300!!!!

Old 12-20-2008, 07:43 AM
SMR
SMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the rough
Some missinfo in here

-Gt2 has oil cooling to the R&P so no problem here
-LSD is week but not the case only the plates so go for cup parts i the key
-The cooler works perfekt in gt2 so no need to change that, only options to do is add the filter .
-gt2 has steel syncros on many places already

The options im going to add this winter is, billet shifter fork and diffrent gearing

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: building THE super transmission.........