996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

building THE super transmission.........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 07:48 AM
SMR
SMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Jean
Agree with Red 9... 1) R&P change will not reduce RPM drops between shifts 2) it will shorten all gear ratios..Biggest mistake is...putting shorter gears on a high powered turbo car.. Against common wisdom, you need exactly the opposite!! N/A race engines don't have half the torque of a modified turbo car + they rev up to 9k RPMs, therefore benefit from shorter gearing.
¨¨Thats correct but the gearing on the turbo and the gt2 is not god, the gap bettwen 2-3 is to big so tighting that up all the way would benifit

Old 12-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Tom,

Now that you've had the transaxle oil temp gauge in for several months, what is the highest temp you've seen with the cooler functioning?

Old 12-20-2008, 08:21 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Tom's car looks like the inside of a Cesna with all those gauges He uses them though... I've ridden with Tom a bunch of times and even on the back straight at Sebring at 140 plus, he's scanning gauges. I usually too excited to even take the time to look at my speedo, let alone diagnostics.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:56 AM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
Looks like its my turn to rebuild the tranny, my 2,3 and 5 gears etc are toast, besides cooler and pump, anything else to look into? I am considering regearing as well.

Any real world experience and advice?

I also posted here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2413642

Old 08-28-2009, 12:43 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by D33PBLU3
Looks like its my turn to rebuild the tranny, my 2,3 and 5 gears etc are toast, besides cooler and pump, anything else to look into? I am considering regearing as well.

Any real world experience and advice?

I also posted here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2413642

doesnt get any more real than this what are you looking for?

as for tranny coolers for street driven cars, after watching my tranny temps on the street there is no need for a cooler unless at the track.
also re-gearing first gear is costly and not necessary either, of course my opinions your results may vary.

PS since my rebuild after one year of racing I had to tear the box down and replace 3rd gear.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:47 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Tom, where did you get the billet case cover?

Old 08-28-2009, 01:21 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
Tom, already had the tranny built, I decided since the tranny is out might as well go all the way. You are absolutely right that regearing is pricey, I ended up getting a mainshaft that had longer 1st and 2nd and a slightly longer, but more importantly wider/stronger GT3RSR 3rd and 4th. I also used steel synchros, added the GT3 mechanical oil pump and the GT3 RSR heat exchnager.

There are lots of lessons learned here, kinda obvious but I found myself focusing on one part too much, do the math for the gearing, cant just think of one gear, have to think about how all the gears work together, where do you want your shift point and where is that relative to type of turbos.

If possible, plan upgrades so you can drive your car while you get parts, nothing like having a car down waiting for what seems forever to get parts. Gear and cooler parts are a mother to get during race season.

Check part numbers, we had a coolant to cooler hose that was once was 1 part number, Porsche made it 2 part numbers and didnt say much about it, when you order what you think is needed and only get 1 of 2 parts....again more waiting for parts :-(

Check fitament and then check again. The GT3 coolant line with the y pipe to the cooler didn't fit, we ended up modifying the current coolant line with a y adapter.

I took your advice and got an LSD whilw we were there, was a no brainer, I thought about doing the GT2 kit to get rid of the pentosin, but it didnt happen.

I only have a couple days of clutch break in, but the longer 1st and 2nd are much easier to drive around town, especially 1st. I am on a decreased power clutch break-in file so cant really speak of acceleration or lsd traction, that will be happening soon :-)