996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

building THE super transmission.........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 08:17 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
building THE super transmission.........

well it may be no secret I have blown a few gears, syncros, and now finally the ring and pinon gear.
no gross shifting mistakes just over 10 k of hard track miles including full race conditions for up to an hour at a time at 95 degree+ heat.
no regrets and in retrospect all in the know feel that it has come down to wear and tear and pretty normal and I accept that.

When my ring and pinion gear went I searched for upgrades. can"t really go to Cup or RSR R+P because although faster gearing the pinion gear is smaller and certainly in a car with 600+hp would not last. changing the gearing is a possibility but really never use first ever and second minimally so not really worth it so again no upgrade there.

Going to RWD, not sure if this is considered an "upgrade" but when going to a Guard LSD with a 50/80 lockup, getting rid of near 100 pounds, and getting the front diff and viscous coupler out I consider this a major upgrade.

With that decision I opted out of a new GT2 box as I dont like the weak LSD that it comes with.

along with the LSD I have found a solid billet case cover that is massively stronger than the stock cover this will stop any case flex, thus another upgrade.

last and best upgrade is a tranny cooler. we are plumbing a 13 inch cooler with two return lines one over the R+P with a custom sleeve that directs fluid right at the R+P gear. the second return will be over the 3+4th gears.

there will be an inline thermistat that will turn a high performance pump on at a certain fluid temp only. an inline filter also is in place.

the tranny temp will be monitored by a gauge on the dash.

special air ducting will direct air through the drive shaft tunnel for cooling where the cooler will be located, this also will hold another 1.5 quarts of fluid.

I think this is as good as this tranny can get and far superior to the GT2 unit and what I will estimate to be about half the price.

I will post pics next week as things near completion.

please feel free to add any comments or suggestions good or bad as all can be helpful.

this car will see PCA sprint and enduro racing in the fall so spare me the wow you really didnt need to do that stuff!

thanks for reading and any comments welcome.

tom

Last edited by tom kerr; 05-23-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:21 PM
MGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to behold
Tom, who is supporting you technically with the upgrade?

Old 05-23-2008, 08:22 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Tom, sounds interesting. Not sure that re-gearing won't get you anything, but it sounds like you've thought things through. Good luck with the "upgrades".

Old 05-23-2008, 08:47 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MGS996TT
Tom, who is supporting you technically with the upgrade?
Viper Bob designed the set up with the shop transmission builder who is also their machinest, at VortexMotorSports in Tampa Florida.

thanks wross let you know how it goes!!

Old 05-23-2008, 08:52 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
This sounds amazing. Best of luck.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:40 PM
DynamicMotoring is infamous around these parts
Awesome, keep us updated. And when youre done, hook us up with prices and more details for the people who might want the same.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Banned
Sonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud ofSonny has much to be proud of
Hey Tom, you won't regret it doing this mod., I have done the same thing a few times, mostly on high hp air cooled Porsches(993's), it really extends the life of the tranny, the side cover is a must do, I will keep complexity to a minimum, eg. the thermostat circuit,althou a good idea, I never have a use for it, don't see a need for it in a 70%+track car.,the Guard stuff is bullet proof, also good oil is a must (Mobil SHC/Devlac), cheers, Sonny.

Originally Posted by tom kerr
well it may be no secret I have blown a few gears, syncros, and now finally the ring and pinon gear.
no gross shifting mistakes just over 10 k of hard track miles including full race conditions for up to an hour at a time at 95 degree+ heat.
no regrets and in retrospect all in the know feel that it has come down to wear and tear and pretty normal and I accept that.

When my ring and pinion gear went I searched for upgrades. can"t really go to Cup or RSR R+P because although faster gearing the pinion gear is smaller and certainly in a car with 600+hp would not last. changing the gearing is a possibility but really never use first ever and second minimally so not really worth it so again no upgrade there.

Going to RWD, not sure if this is considered an "upgrade" but when going to a Guard LSD with a 50/80 lockup, getting rid of near 100 pounds, and getting the front diff and viscous coupler out I consider this a major upgrade.

With that decision I opted out of a new GT2 box as I dont like the weak LSD that it comes with.

along with the LSD I have found a solid billet case cover that is massively stronger than the stock cover this will stop any case flex, thus another upgrade.

last and best upgrade is a tranny cooler. we are plumbing a 13 inch cooler with two return lines one over the R+P with a custom sleeve that directs fluid right at the R+P gear. the second return will be over the 3+4th gears.

there will be an inline thermistat that will turn a high performance pump on at a certain fluid temp only. an inline filter also is in place.

the tranny temp will be monitored by a gauge on the dash.

special air ducting will direct air through the drive shaft tunnel for cooling where the cooler will be located, this also will hold another 1.5 quarts of fluid.

I think this is as good as this tranny can get and far superior to the GT2 unit and what I will estimate to be about half the price.

I will post pics next week as things near completion.

please feel free to add any comments or suggestions good or bad as all can be helpful.

this car will see PCA sprint and enduro racing in the fall so spare me the wow you really didnt need to do that stuff!

thanks for reading and any comments welcome.

tom

Old 05-23-2008, 10:31 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Out of control Tom, can't wait to see what you will end up with, DO go RWD, trust me especially with the R888's, no issues with traction!

Please pm me when you get a chance with all of the info of the daytona event in the fall

Old 05-23-2008, 10:43 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Tom the only recommendation other than the tranny cooler that I can give you is to match your gearing to reach the higest possible RPM before shifting in your longest straight. i.e. if in your longest straight you reach 6.0k RPMs in 5th before braking, put taller gearing in 4th to reach almost the rev limiter before braking rather than having to shift earlier to 5th.. You might get yourself 1/2 second there.

Forget 1-2nd gears, work on 4-5th, not expensive and can make a difference in lap times.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:38 AM
dublinoh is infamous around these partsdublinoh is infamous around these parts
Tom Why add a thermostat? You do almost all track, so why not run it all the time? What's the down side? And the thermostat could fail...and two more fittings to leak. Just curious.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:17 AM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
anyone rebuild a tiptronic better then stock? would like to get my tip worked on... anyone know where can get all the gaskets.. o - rings etc. from?

Old 05-24-2008, 07:43 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Tom, you are the man. I'll be watching and learning.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Now thats interesting.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:25 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Great Stuff Tom!!

Keep sharing the great R&D with us.

9FF does Tippy's in Germany, not sure who else does??
PM CRAIG or Call EVOMS as I believe CRAIG built up his Tippy.

MK

Old 05-24-2008, 08:03 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Jean
Tom the only recommendation other than the tranny cooler that I can give you is to match your gearing to reach the higest possible RPM before shifting in your longest straight. i.e. if in your longest straight you reach 6.0k RPMs in 5th before braking, put taller gearing in 4th to reach almost the rev limiter before braking rather than having to shift earlier to 5th.. You might get yourself 1/2 second there.

Forget 1-2nd gears, work on 4-5th, not expensive and can make a difference in lap times.
+1. Do your homework here and it will really pay off. There are a few forum members that have changed their gearing and were very pleased with the results. I don't have the threads saved but if do some searching and PM'ing that should give you a good start.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: building THE super transmission.........