996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What tires to get?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 06:42 AM
I soon will be a supporting member
dbelleperc is infamous around these parts
Scott, It is on Michelin Web Site. Here is the LINK <- .pdf file.

Old 07-21-2004, 07:04 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by damon@tirerack
Yep, go PS2. N spec in front, XL rating in the rear.
Would XL's on the rear help control the abuse the outer 1/3 of the rear tires takes from cornering? That's the first (by far) area of wear for me.

Old 07-21-2004, 08:20 AM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
Weird, it is, but with Tire Rack, Discount Tire and other places, they do not say that.
Also, I noticed on your link that the 225/30/18's are NOT N rated however. It's backwards of what I've found elsewhere.

XL's may help control abuse to the outer edge of the tire, but in return, you give up some grip. That's the problem with the XL.

Having a ultra stiff sidewall is not necessarily a good thing. You need a little bend before it breaks.

Old 07-21-2004, 08:57 AM
Orli930 is infamous around these parts
PS 2, for sure

Old 07-21-2004, 10:08 AM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
It's all too confusing. Well, I just got the PS2's installed today. N or XL, I can't feel the difference yet without an AB test.

They do seem to be quieter than the pzeros. But then again, they're new. Will see if they stay hush after 5k.

Old 07-21-2004, 10:32 AM
Code Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to behold
Get Corsas much better than PS2's.

Old 07-21-2004, 10:35 AM
Don't think I want corsa's for commuting.

Old 07-21-2004, 11:06 AM
limitup has a spectacular aura aboutlimitup has a spectacular aura about
For PS2s just go with 235 in the front 315 in the rear. Both N rated...

Old 07-21-2004, 12:59 PM
Code Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to beholdCode Red is a splendid one to behold
I use Corsas for commuting. But if you have stop and go traffic I agree. It would be a waste of $$.

Old 07-21-2004, 01:13 PM
I shouldn't have read this thread. Now it's getting to my head.

I got XL for both front-225 and rear-295 from tirerack.

Am I screwed?

Old 07-21-2004, 01:38 PM
I have to say that of all the max-perf tires, the PS2 is the most hohum looking one. Dull looking sidewall and tread design.
Looks like something from costco's. Regular PS looks better.

Old 07-21-2004, 03:14 PM
ruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to behold
I just went through the gruesome process of looking for some new shoes for the beast. After much consideration, it came down to the PS2's which everyone is suggesting, and the new Toyo's T1-s. For some reason not too many people really use this tire, but woah!! it is an amazing tire! I know not many care, but the tread design, I feel looks better than the PS2's. Unfortunately, they do not sell this tire at many stores, because Toyo does not give distribution to a lot of places, or something like that, but if you are interested, post back and I will send you a link and a number to a guy who can give you a good deal. Also, they are much cheaper than the PS2's, an added bonus. But if money is no concern, PS2's are the way to go!

Old 07-21-2004, 09:44 PM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
Collin, I don't know if you're 'screwed', but personally, I wouldn't want XL's on my car. I am pretty convinced that the PS2 is a better tire than the PS Ribs, but I also think that the XL takes away some performance on the tire. I do not think the PS2 XLs are going to be any better than the PS Ribs that are both N approved by Porsche.

Until Porsche officially N rates the PS2's for the Turbo, I'm staying clear.

Old 07-21-2004, 10:20 PM
ebaker is infamous around these parts
T1s

I don't think Toyo T1s comes in turbo sizes. http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_specsheet.cfm?id=2

Old 07-21-2004, 11:00 PM
KJM3 is infamous around these parts
I recommended T1-S's before, but I just realized that the fronts are only W-rated (i.e. fit for speeds up to 168MPH). Also, the rear tires closest fit would be a 295/35-18 with an Overall diameter of 26" which is about 1.1" too tall in the back.

Either way, they are not right for our cars.

- KJ

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What tires to get?