996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What tires to get?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 11:34 PM
DropGems is infamous around these parts
Ahh, too many choices, I still don't know what to go with....

Old 07-21-2004, 11:37 PM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
If all 4 of your tires are N-rated, you're safest from 'issues'. As for the best N rated, I still think it's the PS Ribs.

You cannot buy PS2's that are all 4 N-rated without leaving factory sizes. I wouldn't recommend that either.

Old 07-21-2004, 11:53 PM
FriendlyNeighborhoodTroLL
S4MadMan is infamous around these parts
Agree on the Michelin PSs. Bridgestone S02s are very good too but won't last. S03s are very good as well.

But the best overall tire, IMHO is the Michelin Pilot Sport. It's also the most expensive tire but hey, best car, best tires.

Old 07-22-2004, 12:35 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by damon@tirerack
Yep, go PS2. N spec in front, XL rating in the rear.
Sorry, my last post was a little vague....

The 295 PS2 is an XL rated, N2 spec tire.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 07-22-2004, 01:02 AM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
Damon, but the fronts aren't N rated right?
225/40/18's ?

Your link had them as non-N rated.

Also, since I'm about to order new tires, is there a 6speed discount at TireRack?

Old 07-22-2004, 01:34 AM
dbturbo2 is infamous around these parts
My intitial impressions with less than 1K miles on new PS2's (stock sizes, non "N" rated fronts) are not positive. The front end has significang understeer and it feels as if the front tire sidewalls are rolling under heavy cornering. Initial turn in is much sharper, but the bottom line is I cannot throw the car around with the same confidence as I used to. I have had both Pirelli's and Conti's, If I had it to do over I would go with the "N" rated Michelin Pilots.

Old 07-22-2004, 01:38 AM
limitup has a spectacular aura aboutlimitup has a spectacular aura about
Guys. Go with 235 PS2s on the front and 315 on the rear. These are both N rated and performance will be improved over "stock" sizes.

Old 07-22-2004, 01:41 AM
Pioneer Member
limitup, but on 18'' can you do 315's?
Also, up front, what affect does that have? I worry that straying from stock sizes can mess with the AWD system and the ABS, etc.

Old 07-22-2004, 01:44 AM
nman413 is infamous around these parts
I believe my rear tires are N rated XL 295 PS2s. Have to go home and check.

Old 07-22-2004, 01:45 AM
nman413 is infamous around these parts
235 fronts, keeps the same 60 offset from the stock 225/285 setup I have.

Old 07-22-2004, 01:52 AM
Pioneer Member
Stock is 70 offset... 225/295

Old 07-22-2004, 02:30 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Scott in H-town
Collin, I don't know if you're 'screwed', but personally, I wouldn't want XL's on my car. I am pretty convinced that the PS2 is a better tire than the PS Ribs, but I also think that the XL takes away some performance on the tire. I do not think the PS2 XLs are going to be any better than the PS Ribs that are both N approved by Porsche.

Until Porsche officially N rates the PS2's for the Turbo, I'm staying clear.
The difference is quite noticable between the PS2 and the Rib. The XL rating is needed because of the low profile and shoulder stresses the tire sees. The XL rating does not deter the performance, in my opinion. While I have not tested them personally on 911's (I have on BMW's), the lateral grip is better, and the wet weather traction isn't even in the same ballpark. The PS2 BLOWS the rib away in the wet.

Or use this link:
Old 07-22-2004, 02:42 AM
Damon, but the fronts aren't N rated right?
225/40/18's ?

Your link had them as non-N rated.

Also, since I'm about to order new tires, is there a 6speed discount at TireRack?
Correct, the front size is not N-spec. Sorry, no 6speedonline discount, but buying through the here does give a % of the sale to it. I lthink our prices are the best you'll find. I hope

Give me a call....

Or use this link:
Old 07-22-2004, 03:15 AM
limitup has a spectacular aura aboutlimitup has a spectacular aura about
limitup, but on 18'' can you do 315's?
Also, up front, what affect does that have? I worry that straying from stock sizes can mess with the AWD system and the ABS, etc.
I'm running PS2s in the following sizes:

235/40ZR18 Front
315/30ZR18 Rear

These are N-rated and a perfect match. The measurements you're concerned with regarding the ABS are almost identical to stock with this set-up and I have no problems at all. The slightly wider tire up front also helps with the stock understeer problem.

Old 07-22-2004, 03:18 AM
Pioneer Member
Originally posted by damon@tirerack
The difference is quite noticable between the PS2 and the Rib. The XL rating is needed because of the low profile and shoulder stresses the tire sees. The XL rating does not deter the performance, in my opinion. While I have not tested them personally on 911's (I have on BMW's), the lateral grip is better, and the wet weather traction isn't even in the same ballpark. The PS2 BLOWS the rib away in the wet.
Last question...
What do you mean it needs an XL because of the low profile? The profile is the same as my current tires and the PS Ribs...
295 (w)/ 30 (h or profile) / 18 rim size... If they're both 30's then why does one need the XL for a 'lower profile'?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What tires to get?