996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What tires to get?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 12:27 AM
nman413 is infamous around these parts
AFAIK, the 225s are not N rated. I believe Jim Morton from rennlist found that they were actually meant for Mercedes which means that they had higher load bearing than the N rateds. He also mentioned they drove funny.

Old 07-23-2004, 04:42 AM
DropGems is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by KJM3
They DO come in stock sizes for the front AND back.

It's just a choice between the 225/40-18 Front (NOT N-rated) or a 235/40-18 Front (N-rated and better help against understeer, but 8mm taller than stock).

- KJ
So which do you think is the better choice, for everyday use?

Old 07-23-2004, 04:42 AM
Sherpa is infamous around these parts
Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 or Toyo T1-S.

Old 07-23-2004, 04:55 AM
Mark M is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by DropGems
Michelin Pilot Sport Ribs 225/40/18 Fronts (N) RATED
Michelin Pilot Sport Ribs 295/30/18 Rears (N) RATED

Old 07-23-2004, 05:23 AM
PS2 235 front N rated
PS2 295 rear N rated

Old 07-23-2004, 05:41 AM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Mark M
Michelin Pilot Sport Ribs 225/40/18 Fronts (N) RATED
Michelin Pilot Sport Ribs 295/30/18 Rears (N) RATED
Me too. I just ordered some from Damon about 2 hours ago.

Old 07-23-2004, 06:34 AM
Mark M is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Scott in H-town
Me too. I just ordered some from Damon about 2 hours ago.
It's really the only rational choice for the Michelins in my opinion. The PS2's are sized appropriately for the GT3 and GT2. I think trying different sizes and installing non "N" rated fronts just to have PS2's is a gamble and a futile mistake.(FLAME SUIT ON) I think there's a GT3 owner at the GT3 forum that claims he doesn't like the PS2's on his car either, so go figure?
For the street, I've been more than happy with the Michelin Pilot Ribs. I've got almost 2K miles on them. They are notably better than the Pirelli Pzeros in regards to noise level, comfort, and road manners. Basically what you'd expect from a Michelin. Turn-in response is marginally less than the Pzeros though. I know you track your car occasionally, so I can't comment how they'll perform there. I think there's a compromise for both uses though, don't you agree?

ps. I purchased mine from tirerack also. Great service and fast shipping.

Last edited by Mark M; 07-23-2004 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:11 AM
I just want bigger wheels now since the 235/295 are bulgy on my stock wheels.

Probably move to Pilot Sport Cups too at some point.

Old 07-23-2004, 11:31 AM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Mark M
It's really the only rational choice for the Michelins in my opinion. The PS2's are sized appropriately for the GT3 and GT2. I think trying different sizes and installing non "N" rated fronts just to have PS2's is a gamble and a futile mistake.(FLAME SUIT ON) I think there's a GT3 owner at the GT3 forum that claims he doesn't like the PS2's on his car either, so go figure?
For the street, I've been more than happy with the Michelin Pilot Ribs. I've got almost 2K miles on them. They are notably better than the Pirelli Pzeros in regards to noise level, comfort, and road manners. Basically what you'd expect from a Michelin. Turn-in response is marginally less than the Pzeros though. I know you track your car occasionally, so I can't comment how they'll perform there. I think there's a compromise for both uses though, don't you agree?

ps. I purchased mine from tirerack also. Great service and fast shipping.
I agree totally.

I do track my car a bit. I freakin' hate my Pzeros. They are the worst track tire. (They suck on the street too, but they really shine in suckness on the track after 2 laps they turn to goo)

After my first track experience, I'll post my opinions.

I probably won't track 'em more than once. I'm real close to getting some new wheels and putting Cups on my stock wheels.

Old 07-23-2004, 12:57 PM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
This board is the one that convinced me to go with PS2.
I did. Now everyone is raising doubts about the PS2.

It's gonna blow any second if you don't lower the pressure.
Or better gain some weight if you got the XL.
Get a taller tire if you want to steer with your pinky.

What's next. Are we going to mod the tires?

For me, I'm happy with running on all four spare wheels

I might even get some 185's so I can do WRC.

Old 07-23-2004, 01:05 PM
KJM3 is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by DropGems
I'd say what icerbofh said:

235/40-18 Front (N-rated) <== Helps get rid of some understeer
295/30-18 Back (N-rated)

- KJ

Old 07-23-2004, 01:13 PM
Welcome to the OC, bitch!
trojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant future
When it comes down to it, is there really gonna be a noticeable difference in performance, longevity, or safety among the various ratings of N1, N2, N3, XL, etc....I mean the tire manufacturers we are considering have been putting out world class products that feature the very best in tire technology for years.

I know we all have $120K+++ cars so we needn't be cheap when buying something as important as tires. But being cheap is not the issue here because all of the tires in this size and performance category cost at least $275+.

Is my car gonna blow up or something if I don't use "N"designated tires?

Old 07-23-2004, 01:28 PM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by trojanman
When it comes down to it, is there really gonna be a noticeable difference in performance, longevity, or safety among the various ratings of N1, N2, N3, XL, etc....I mean the tire manufacturers we are considering have been putting out world class products that feature the very best in tire technology for years.

I know we all have $120K+++ cars so we needn't be cheap when buying something as important as tires. But being cheap is not the issue here because all of the tires in this size and performance category cost at least $275+.

Is my car gonna blow up or something if I don't use "N"designated tires?
If it blows up, I've left instruction for my wife to sue Michelin and TireRack.

The seat of my pants tells me there's no significant difference that'll create a safety issue or significant performance diff.
There's more diff if you switch brands or go from street to race tires.

It's all in our heads and desire to own nothing but the absolute best without compromises.

Old 07-23-2004, 09:03 PM
Pioneer Member
Sorry guys... but there is a difference. A huge huge difference. If you're just driving it on the street, then sure, get whatever, and it probably won't matter.

If you track the car (I do often), it makes an enormous difference.

Porsche designed these cars with a certain tire size in mind. They spent some money and used some pretty smart people. Going away from factory spec is a bad idea IMO. Getting the 235/40's is a bad idea. It's N rated, but it's made for the GT3... not the turbo. Then "N" for the turbo is virtuallly meaningless because this tire wasn't designed for the turbo.
Add to that the fact that the turbo is AWD, and there's a computer expecting a certain size wheel/tire there, and you're making it worse. The 235 will be a larger diameter. This can hose little things.
Sure you won't notice on the street, but on the track, who knows what you're messing with.

N rated is there because Porsche tested it and recommends it for a certain car. If your car doesn't have that size as a normal spec, the N means "N"othing.

Old 07-23-2004, 09:33 PM
DropGems is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Scott in H-town
Sorry guys... but there is a difference. A huge huge difference. If you're just driving it on the street, then sure, get whatever, and it probably won't matter.

If you track the car (I do often), it makes an enormous difference.

Porsche designed these cars with a certain tire size in mind. They spent some money and used some pretty smart people. Going away from factory spec is a bad idea IMO. Getting the 235/40's is a bad idea. It's N rated, but it's made for the GT3... not the turbo. Then "N" for the turbo is virtuallly meaningless because this tire wasn't designed for the turbo.
Add to that the fact that the turbo is AWD, and there's a computer expecting a certain size wheel/tire there, and you're making it worse. The 235 will be a larger diameter. This can hose little things.
Sure you won't notice on the street, but on the track, who knows what you're messing with.

N rated is there because Porsche tested it and recommends it for a certain car. If your car doesn't have that size as a normal spec, the N means "N"othing.

See this is the stuff that kinda worries me, I don't wanna screw anything thing up and put on the ps2's if they aren't recommended on the turbo. I'm just looking for the closest thing to a very high performance tire that I can drive comfortably everyday, I don't want to throw off computers and stuff...

Last edited by DropGems; 07-24-2004 at 03:05 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What tires to get?