996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My thoughts on the Protomotive 650 package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
My thoughts on the Protomotive 650 package

Hey guys,

Well it seems that I can't stay away from modding the turbo... First it was an IA Stage 4 package, then GT640, now PE650...all in less than a year!!! I can now say that I'm done for a while because I'm thrilled with the PE650 package.

It started with the Stage 4 package, which was an AWESOME package. I had Stephen @ IA install it, and it was really a well put together package...I really liked it!! The car drove just like stock, except it had 50% more power...can't beat that. It consisted of k16/24 turbos, 1bar wastegates, DV's, boost hoses, headers, EP2Q exhaust, and a v-flow. It produced great power in the midrange and up top, and didn't have much lag at all...just a tiny bit more than k16's.

Being as happy as I was with the Stage 4 kit, I thought the next logical step was the GT640. Since I liked the power delivery of the k16/24's in the Stage 4, I assumed that the k16/GT28's in the GT640 kit would preform the same, just with more power throughout the rev range. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. The GT640 kit produces instant power, as the GT28's spool FAST, but they are almost too peaky IMO, and they seem to fizzle out on the top end...at least mine did. Coming from the Stage 4, I actually felt like I lost power, which I wasn't expecting. I just wasn't happy with the GT640 - please keep in mind this has nothing to do with the kit being bad, I just didn't like the way the turbos delivered power...that's it!!

Just yesterday I received tuning from Todd @ Protomotive to go with the K24/18g's that were put on last week. BTW, Todd was great to work with - he answered all my questions and replied to emails VERY quickly...not to mention his software is excellent. Once the software was installed I took the car for a spin and was ECSTATIC!!! The car drove just like my Stage 4, except there was more power...just what I wanted. The power delivery is smooth and linear...not peaky like the GT640. I can't ask for more, as this is just what I've been looking for!!! I must admit that I was worried about lag going with a k24 based turbo, but I'm happy to report that the lag is hardly noticeable. Boost comes on around 3,000rpm, and by 4,000rpm I'm at 1.1 bar. The power is VERY STRONG and intoxicating.

These are just my observations about 3 different kits...nothing more, nothing less. I'm not bashing any tuners or individuals here...just giving my honest opinions. I want to thank Stephen @ Imagine Auto for all the great work on my car. They run a great shop and I would recommend them to anyone. I also want to thank Todd at Protomotive for building a great kit that I'm thrilled with!!!

Regards,
Adam

Old 05-29-2008, 09:14 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Great to hear all successful stories and especially when you upgrade from
a previously very successful package!

Good luck,

Marty K.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:16 PM
MikeR is infamous around these parts
Adam, glad you found the package/power you were looking for. Until the bug hits you again!

Nice comparison write-up on your thoughts of the different packages.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:45 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Great feedback...sounds like you've got a winner. It does seem likely that even though a package is branded (like stage 1 or 2, or GT whatever) there are bound to be differences in how they perform. That is to say not all GT640's will perform the same if that makes sense. Glad you are happy, drive safe.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:51 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Adam,

Congratulations!

I agree with you. The K24/18G's are a fantastic turbo. Having had stage 2, stage 4 (16/24 hybrids) and now PE700 with 24/18G's, I feel very satisfied with the power the 24/18G's are producing and the manner in which it is delivered. In fact, the accelleration is so swift and violent, I find that it is hard to use it for more than 2-3 seconds at a time.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:27 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
Very nice write up and quite informative. Enjoy your new power!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:28 PM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
PE650 is great. Enjoy it.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:03 AM
formulab is infamous around these parts
you got me sold. thats my next step

Old 05-30-2008, 06:57 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Congrats Adam! Thanks for sharing your experience with each kit. I'm glad you have found a setup that you are happy with. You did it the hard (and expensive) way, but it is the best way to find what you want.

I have a question about the ease of modulating the throttle on each setup (stock, K16/24, GT640 and K24/18). How easy is it to modulate the response? Some have complained about an all-or-nothing feel with some turbos and/or tuning which has made exiting turns tricky on the track. Please share your opinion if you can. Thanks.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:30 AM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
Congrats Adam! Thanks for sharing your experience with each kit. I'm glad you have found a setup that you are happy with. You did it the hard (and expensive) way, but it is the best way to find what you want.

I have a question about the ease of modulating the throttle on each setup (stock, K16/24, GT640 and K24/18). How easy is it to modulate the response? Some have complained about an all-or-nothing feel with some turbos and/or tuning which has made exiting turns tricky on the track. Please share your opinion if you can. Thanks.
Hey Chris,

Thanks man, I'm really happy with the turbos, so THANKS again!!

As far as modulating the throttle, there are vast differences between the 3 kits. The Stage 4 and the PE650 are about the same, and very similar to stock, so modulating power is smooth and predictable. You push the throttle half way down and you get half power...simple as that. There was no surging, just linear power delivery. On the other hand, the GT640 was very peaky, and even at half throttle the turbos would spool like you had it floored. It was very unnerving, and I disliked that aspect. At half throttle, the turbos would spool up and then let off, all while you hear the DV's giving a honk letting off all the boost.

For anyone out there who has a Stage 4 car and likes the way it drives, but just want more power, the k24/18g turbos are the way to go. If only I knew this going in, I would have saved myself thousands of dollars...

Old 05-30-2008, 07:56 AM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
Nice write up! Congrats.. It sure sounds like you are addicted to power and I'm sure the PE700 kit will be in your future sooner or later. I went from a STG2 (K16's, FVD Flash) to the Proto 600 then to the Proto 650. I couldn't be happier. Best part was I could feel a noticeable difference at each upgrade. I plan on doing the 700 kit in the fall and I'm pretty sure that will be it for me.

Last edited by str8blst; 05-30-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:56 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Great review, I've loved my PE650, now I'm ready to step up to the 700, hopefully in the next few weeks.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Adam Bowles
Hey guys,

Well it seems that I can't stay away from modding the turbo... First it was an IA Stage 4 package, then GT640, now PE650...all in less than a year!!! I can now say that I'm done for a while because I'm thrilled with the PE650 package.

Adam
I recall you looking into modding... I told you about the K24/18g proto package... glad your happy...
Mark

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 05-30-2008, 09:42 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
adam good right up and comparison , i have had this kis for quite some time and if you anything like me lol you will be knocking on the 700+ kit soon LOL .

Old 05-30-2008, 11:16 AM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
What's needed in order to go from the Protomotive 650 to the 700 kit?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My thoughts on the Protomotive 650 package