996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996tt - Brake Upgrades

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 03:02 AM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
subscribed. I'm shopping for an upgrade myself...

Old 05-31-2008, 05:04 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I think it will be a combination of rotor size and pad type. A lot of guys don't prefer pagid yellows, but I mic my rotors and measure my pads before each event and write the specs in my log and have no significant wear and do not have issues with fading. That said, I didn't have the issues you describe, so maybe you have an ABS computer related issue. One thing's for sure, the 350MM front/rear setup provides a better overall balance and is the reason they are on the new the 997TT!

I'm also rnuning RBF600 Motul fluid.

Mike

Old 05-31-2008, 08:16 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
How does the Motul brake fluid compare in price and performance specs to SRF ?

Old 05-31-2008, 02:49 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
The problem as I see it with our "brake systems" and brake fluid is the fluid that leaks out around the cap under track conditions. Not seen that yet? You will when you get above the novice run group. Now, if fluid is being pushed out from under the cap, what's the likelyhood that air is getting in?

I bleed my brakes before every track weekend, and I seen bubbles in the catch can at every bleed screw when using the motive brake bleeder. I generally do about 8-12 events or 15-25 track days per year. If I cracked a new bottle of SRF before every weekend, that would be close to $800 in brake fluid. Instead, I bought a case of Motul. I use a case per year... "Why would you crack a bottle open and then throw the rest away after the weekend mike?"

Moisture will seep into the container once the seal is broken. I spoke with a technician at Tilton who told me that they opened a can of Castrol SRF, removed the foil, tested a sample and then resealed it, and then measured the amount of moisture 3 days later and were seriously surprised at the amount of "contaminant" (technical term?) that was found in the bottle.

Next time around I'll buy a case of GS610 and use it, as it's a little cheaper, but performs on par with Motul RBF600. I don't see the need for spending the kind of money that SRF costs when I know that I'll bleed the system again in 4-6 weeks and have to crack open another can. If they sold it in pint sized bottles, maybe. But they don't, so I don't.

Cup cars, which apparently use a different master cylinder, generally go a season without being bled... Maybe the answer is changing over to a cup car master...
Mike

Old 05-31-2008, 07:01 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Ahhhh, that's what the overflow was!?!... I thought I had sprung a leak after my last track day or that somebody hadn't tightened enough after my last brake service!!...

More great info... Thanks!