996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help, check engine light on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 02:01 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
Help, check engine light on

My check engine light just came on. I'm not overly concerned about it as I drove her 800 miles home from Cleveland with no lights, no problems. I was wondering if anyone has any insights into what this might be? I will go and check the oil level but I know there's an independent caution message for low oil quantity. Any ideas anyone? Hopefully, it's nothing.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:00 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
There are hundreds of things it could be. (well, many just ONE hundred)

Go to an autozone or other car parts store and borrow their code reader. Pull the codes. Report back.

A

Old 05-31-2008, 03:03 PM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ard
There are hundreds of things it could be. (well, many just ONE hundred)

Go to an autozone or other car parts store and borrow their code reader. Pull the codes. Report back.

A
+1...

Old 05-31-2008, 03:07 PM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
or buy the obd2 reader, it's like 150$ and i have used it countless time on this car and many other cars, they are all the same, this is a standard.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:10 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
Great advice guys. Where do I plug in the code reader? (Can you tell I'm new to the 996tt? lol)

Old 05-31-2008, 03:43 PM
dreamtripper is infamous around these parts
It's on the lower left side of the steering console. Kind of close to, but lower than were your knee would be.

Originally Posted by ReeknHavic
Great advice guys. Where do I plug in the code reader? (Can you tell I'm new to the 996tt? lol)

Old 05-31-2008, 03:57 PM
Is there a panel that's obvious to remove in order to access this port?

Old 05-31-2008, 04:15 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Stop by Imagine Auto or Call them. They are a board sponsor and are near by to you. Stephen and Jeremy will take great care of you!

Got to watch them though.. Next thing you know you may have a GT700 or GT800 kit on the car

Old 05-31-2008, 04:48 PM
I just got back from Auto Zone. Here is the code and possible causes.

The code I have is P0175. "The PCM has determined that during testing, the fuel system for bank 2 was too rich."
"Probable Causes;
1. If bank one and two are set together suspect a fuel condition or MAF sensor fault.
2. Failed H02S21
3. Ignition misfire condition
4. Fuel injector problem
5. Engine mechanical condition."

Now what shall I do?

Old 05-31-2008, 04:50 PM
r34dy2walk is infamous around these parts
Are you running any mods on the car?

Does the car run fine or sluggish under WOT?

Old 05-31-2008, 04:51 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
I just got back from Auto Zone. Here is the code and possible causes.

The code I have is P0175. "The PCM has determined that during testing, the fuel system for bank 2 was too rich."
"Probable Causes;
1. If bank one and two are set together suspect a fuel condition or MAF sensor fault.
2. Failed H02S21
3. Ignition misfire condition
4. Fuel injector problem
5. Engine mechanical condition."

Now what shall I do?
If you don't figure out tomorrow, please call Stephen and Jeremy at Imagine Auto and they will take care of you for sure!

Old 05-31-2008, 04:58 PM
I had a through PPI inspection done at a Porsche dealership before I bought her. I've had her less than two weeks. I drove her 800 miles from Cleveland to Kansas City with no problems at all. It does have the V intake, diverter valves and a tune, that's it. It runs great, no roughness, sounds, exhaust smoke etc. This just happened a few hours ago today. I ran to Auto Zone, which was recommended to me by one of our forum members, and got a code from their OBD machine. I included the code in my last post. I haven't gotten into the power at all since this condition arose. Actually I didn't even get into my car at all today. At least the code indicates rich which is a better condition than worrying about a lean condition and possible pre-ignition and/or detonation.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:00 PM
It's honestly probably the MAF going bad or an o2 sensor going bad.

The more I think about it.. I did one day just have a random check engine light and it was because the computer blipped for 1 sec and it went nuts and through a check engine light about being rich.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:05 PM
Hopefully, it's like you said, the computer blipped for a sec. I hope I don't have a MAF problem. I do have the second generation V intake which supposedly doesn't have the MAF issues that the first generation had.

Is there a way to clear the code, hence get rid of the light? Then I'll see if the computer throws the code again.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:12 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I ate 3 MAFs until I did the "fix" been totally bulletproof since!

Hopefully, it's like you said, the computer blipped for a sec. I hope I don't have a MAF problem. I do have the second generation V intake which supposedly doesn't have the MAF issues that the first generation had.

Is there a way to clear the code, hence get rid of the light? Then I'll see if the computer throws the code again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help, check engine light on