996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Understeer dilemma

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 04:34 PM
speedy5540 is infamous around these parts
Understeer dilemma

So after a hard track day last week and after reading many posts here, I sat pondering my cars shortcomings. One of which I see mentioned is the tendency for the car to push in the corners. I want to try and correct that as much as possible. A couple of caveats though; I chose the Pss9 coil overs knowing that I will compromise on the track for comfort on the street. I have them set at full stiff in the back and 2 notches down from stiff in the front. As a daily driver car, I didnt want to go the moton/JAC/etc route so going stiffer is out of the question being that I live in pothole ridden NY/metro area. I do have H&R bars set in the middle position of the 3 positions and havn't fiddled with them yet, so I can probably move that in one notch. And I have neg 1 degree camber, again, only because of street use. Is this just inherent in the car or will take allot to coax more over steer into the car. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by speedy5540; 06-03-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:46 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
unfortunately, this is inherent with the car...I took great pains to reduce the understeer...but this obviously included JRZ shocks...

Old 06-03-2008, 05:46 PM
L Gancho is infamous around these parts
Either more negative camber on front wheels and/or tighten up the rear bar. I'm currently running full tight on the rear H&R adjustable bar and full loose in the front. Be sure not to have any preload on the bars. Good luck.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:22 PM
dublinoh is infamous around these partsdublinoh is infamous around these parts
I'm not suggesting but asking...has anyone increased the front track ie used spacers to widen the front track? This dialed out understeer in a 86 911 turbo a bunch.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:44 PM
speedy5540 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by L Gancho
Either more negative camber on front wheels and/or tighten up the rear bar. I'm currently running full tight on the rear H&R adjustable bar and full loose in the front. Be sure not to have any preload on the bars. Good luck.
How would I know if I have any preload on the bars?

Old 06-03-2008, 09:20 PM
L Gancho is infamous around these parts
Must have adjustable drop-links. Adjust both ends (droplinks) to eliminate any preload on the bar from side to side. Bar should be neutral to avoid any torsion on either end. This should be done on a flat surface with driver in the car.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Soften the front bar, soften the front coilover (FYI - Montons are more compliant ride than JIC), add more "-" front camber, firm up rear coilover.