996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

my 3b engine went up in smoke! kevin to rescue, a must read.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 05:35 PM
tradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to behold
UMW 736hp tt build story...pics added at the end

To the best of my knowledge it all started in or about Feb. of 06 when markski was selling his turbos from Kevin with I think a stage 2 tune…

He then gave me Kevin’s number of which I immediacy called for the first of probably a trillion times.

He spent countless hours on the phone with me. At this point I was only willing to MAYBE buy his stage 2…and it was used via markski! He was gonna look em over as a fav to marski!

I was going to think it over while I went on the gumball.

Before I left I thought my car was fast, I was wrong! My car also developed the dreaded 2nd gear pop on that trip, so it was time to remedy the above problems, asap.

Upon my return Kevin came to rescue and we immediately started his first performance motor build for a 996tt.

I ordered up all the case and crank mods Kevin could do. Off the top of my head (in Panama City for business today, and files are at home), he boat tailed and shuffle pined the case, oil passages were bored, flashing was ground down. The crank was chamfered, cross drilled, knife edged, shot-peened, heat treated, and polished.

He got me the arrow rods (British steel is the best), and it is all held together with arp studs. He also scored me an rsr oil pump when no one else could find one.

Last but not least are the EP loud, sporttech intake, and B6 intercoolers.

Kevin also talked me into the complete erp suspension with fully adjustable control arms with Indy quality hiem joints (hey carry, he did this after I had just bought and installed a brand new set of pss9’s he had revalved for me, I never even drove the car 1” with the pss9’s!). It is now basically a solid suspension, rsr sub frames and all; with all solid bushings, no rubber anywhere on the car with the 4 way adjustable race jrz’s coilovers. H&r sways, adj drop links, strut bars, and spherical camber plates.

I got the ma shaw carbon fiber rsr mirrors, trunk lid, roof top (sunroof deleted), and gt2 deck lid and carbon wing. I deleted the rear wiper, rear seats, and all sound deadening. I also had Gt3 seats and schroth harnesses installed.

I also scored a set of magnesium bbs rsr rims, and pccb’s, which replaced my brembo 8/4 bbk.

The car weighed 3150 with a ¼ tank when corner balanced.

Kevin also had my tranny regeared and rebuilt with all steel rsr parts, including the mainshaft, and a custom race cooler with the best parts from the 993/996 gt2s. I also have the rsr solid shift linkage, sts, and tranny mounts.

At the time I thought it would be a good idea to have my local dealer do the r&r on the engine since they would give me a 2 yr warrantee…boy was that a mistake!

After waiting for over a yr, due mainly to parts being unavailable, we finally started my car in Aug of 07! Within the first 2 mins of warm up and leak test, the driver side exhaust started its new life as a crop duster!

I can not describe what a disappointment that was. Of course everyone wanted to point the finger at each other; I just wanted the car that I had dreamed of, paid for, and waited on!

Everyone decides that I should give it hell for 1k miles to see if the rings will seat…they don’t. The even more frustrating part was the car didn’t feel that much faster!!! WTF?

It handled like it was on rails though, absolute perfection there. It could not be improved on imho. Not too rigid, my wife doesn’t even complain! Firm but compliant, taunt…PERFECT!

A month later we tear it down again…I ordered new gt2 p’s & c’s this time…which took almost 3 months. I also had the heads redone.

This time I took a week off from work and physically assisted putting everything back together. I helped with the engine assembly, install, and did all the fuel mods myself, including tiging up the fittings and mounting/plumbing the second 044 pump and billet 100 micron fuel filter.

I put dino oil in for the 1st 1k miles. I changed the oil after the initial start up; again after the first 100 miles and again at 500 and 1k, hey oil is cheap!

Before when my car was stock I would lose 4 bars or so on the oil level gauge every 1k, now it never drops! Compression was all 98 or better in all 6 jugs. Oil pressure goes to a c hair under 5bar!

So what does all this mean?

INSTANT THROTTLE RESPONSE! Is it fast you ask??? OMFG!!! I am so pissed at myself for redoing my engine and NOT upgrading to stage 4 the second time around.

This thing is a monster! It is unfortunately limited to 745fwhp/730fwtq and 6975 rpm’s for the break in, but I was promised a few more ponies, and 500 more rpm’s on pump gas so God only knows what I’m going too get with the race gas file!

I have several 900cc bike kills, or I should say inhalations! Not even a challenge, this thing is SCARRRRY FAST! All kills were on empty highways in Mexico from a 50 punch of course. Oh yeah, did I mention that I can do 59 mph in first and will be over 60 in 1st with 500 more rpm’s and the new gearing!

Everyone, guys/girls, young/old, they all, bar none, every single time, reach for something to hold onto when I floor it. I have yet to have anyone not say this is without a dought the fastest car they have ever been in…have I mentioned that I can not wait for 500 more rpm’s and race gas?

I can only imagine what stage 4 will be like! A select few will.

So after 22 months and god knows how much $, sweat, and tears its almost done!

I defiantly want to thank Kevin for all his patience, and dedication.

Second only to his family, is his complete and relentless passion to be the best at what he does. He sources the highest quality parts and ultimate craftsmanship for his clients. He has a rolodex to die for, and only a select few have access to it, via him…and I am sure even less get direct access to his contacts; and for that I truly am eternally grateful.

Every time I drive my car I have the biggest s@*t eatin’ grin, and it is thanks to Kevin and his family at www.ultimemotorwerks.com !!!

Hey Kevin, I LOVE YOU!!!

Last edited by tradin1; 07-03-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
sounds awesome and scary all in one.

Not sure that I understand what the original problem was? was it the old turbos? what where they K24's, 16? and are the new ones something else?

Old 06-08-2008, 06:15 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
How are the other UMW engines running? I haven't seen anything from Kevin (KPG) or Top Gun for a very long time. I was anxious to see how these cars would run, but there have been no reports.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:24 PM
tradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to beholdtradin1 is a splendid one to behold
original problem was car was too slow, and tranny poped out of gear.

have not heard from the others either...should be great though!

Last edited by tradin1; 06-08-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:18 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Congrats...glad to see you got what you wanted. I know Kevin is as good as it gets. Drive safe.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:04 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
I think he was asking what caused the crop duster problem.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:34 AM
BeastRides101 is infamous around these parts
Awesome, It's always nice when it all works out and ends up being something your really in love with. Congrats.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Congrats! Nothing beats the conclusion of a long build. Awesome that you got to take a week off to get elbows deep in the build. I'm sure the car will always have a special place for you.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:03 AM
SpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura about
So you understand, we want to see more photos, engine bay and etc.... preferably an undercarriage shot or two ads well, and would you PLEASE have someone with a Camcorder get some shots with you doing pass after pass after pass since the SOUND should be other-worldly as well.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:07 AM
vincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond reputevincentdds has a reputation beyond repute
Wow all the parts you mention sound so familiar. I'm glad they all came together for you just in time for summer. Congratulation and have fun.

Last edited by vincentdds; 06-09-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by $manager
I think he was asking what caused the crop duster problem.
the rings were installed inproperly.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:36 AM
charlie_ludden is infamous around these parts
Sounds insane! Post some videos please.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:41 PM
mikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the roughmikerosi is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by tradin1
the rings were installed inproperly.
Who installed the rings??

Old 06-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by mikerosi
Who installed the rings??
dealer

Old 06-09-2008, 06:33 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Chris, glad you got it all sorted out. Enjoy the car and be safe. Get some videos up!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: my 3b engine went up in smoke! kevin to rescue, a must read.