996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tail of the Dragon - Father & Son

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 03:45 AM
Elderfart
rad22 is infamous around these parts
Tail of the Dragon - Father & Son

Yesterday, my 17 year old son and I took a trip we've been planning for several months. We live only 4 hours from Deal's Gap and the Tail of the Dragon and finally got around to jousting with the Beast. He is an excellent driver, precise, well-trained and smooth. He has had his R32 for about 4 months (17th birthday present for a truly deserving lad) and knows his way around the machine. It is a GREAT sedan. Superb handling, good power, awesome gearbox, great seats, all in a tight Teutonically precise package. Anybody on the board old enough to remember the old Datsun 510 sedans?

I have had my TT for almost a year and I love it more each day and with each new experience. My son and I co-drove it from Charlotte, NC to Upstate NY (Auburn) last month to attend a wedding, rather than flying! It is a daily driver and I plan to keep it a long time. Only mod so far is the B&M short shifter.

The Dragon was a blast. The Thursday traffic was confined to a few early, friendly Miatas for this weekend's Miata gathering and a few sportbikes and Harleys. Totally uncrowded. We did four runs, almost unimpeded, and got bolder each time. It was my son who finally said, sweat-soaked, after the 4th run, "Dad, we may be getting too brave." We called it quits and drafted each other back to Charlotte. What a day! A wonderful father-son experience neither of us will ever forget.

Using a Stickypod (www.stickypod.com) we shot a lot of video from multiple angles. We are editing it down to a viewable highlight reel and will share it as soon as it is ready (and if anyone can provide a hosting site)

I would like to thank Valentine One, the NC and Tennessee State Highway Patrol and several local county and city constabulary for cooperating to make this a legally hassle-free experience.

Whenever the 6speedonliners do this again, count me in dudes!

Here are a few pics from the trip...all taken by my son.

Old 07-24-2004, 03:49 AM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
great story and nice pics. R32s are cool.

Old 07-24-2004, 03:57 AM
Banned
Tim W. is infamous around these parts
He did a great job! Nice pictures.

Good to see a father son pair loving cars together

Old 07-24-2004, 04:11 AM
Carolina Speed
james is infamous around these parts
My father and I used to test drive every new sports car that came out. It was a "free" hobby and I always looked forward to some new debut. I happily envy any father son stories like this b/c my Dad never got to see my kids or my TT. I lost him to cancer 8 years ago. Please enjoy each other's co. as much as you can.

The next time you do that, please check out the Cherohala skyway. It is close to TOD and probably the most $ if not beautiful highway in NC SC TN. If you are interested, check out Tobacco Roads online or in print and you will see James and Bill hosting a Sun morning drive this weekend through similar roads as TOD and MUCH closer to you. Sat is a TSD rally (strictly Speed limit stuff) and so Sun is for the more adventurous. If you are interested, we are meeting on 321 in Lenoir NC (in between Hickory and Blowing Rock) on Sun am. PM me if it interests anyone in the listening area . . . it is free of course. We will be stopping at a little cajun place for lunch.

Old 07-24-2004, 05:57 AM
Elderfart
rad22 is infamous around these parts
I too lost my father suddenly at the relatively early age of 19 and every moment spent with my kids (also have a daughter age 20) is precious to me and always has been. My son's interest in cars is a truly a thrill but only one of many bonds we have. My daughter is also into cars and driving.

Old 07-24-2004, 05:57 AM
nice and low
KC996TT is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

Very nice! I saw this over on VW Vortex, little did I know I'd see it again from a different perspective here on 6-speed It's cool to see you both enjoyed it.

Old 07-24-2004, 06:00 AM
JakeMate is infamous around these parts
Great story. Can't wait to do this with my son. I have about 15 years to wait though.

Old 07-24-2004, 07:50 AM
Sean is infamous around these parts
great story rad22....we look forward to your participation when we do TODII this fall.

Old 08-09-2004, 10:37 AM
Olivier Caza is infamous around these parts
Wow. Very cool story. I wish my dad would be as addicted to cars as I am. Very nice relationship you seem to have there, especially that your daughter is into cars too, which is kinda rare. Congrats.

-Olivier

Old 08-09-2004, 11:17 AM
Babak is infamous around these parts
Sweet story.