996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

RWD Track impressions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 02:16 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Christ no wonder you can get away with JIC's Tom, wide open fast tracks and no off camber sections whatsoever, agreed it's bumpy, no disrespect but anyone could go there and run Full Hard.

I tell you this, I ran close on Full Hard at SPA which was awesome, I carried it over to the Ring and I was all over the feckin place, car was dangerous to drive.

Last edited by 996TT_STEVO; 06-18-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:21 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
BTW, you should eat GT3's/RS's around there

Old 06-18-2008, 02:58 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
If only we could bolt the GT2 suspension in it's entirety to the TT.

My question remains:

What exactly does it take to make the TT better handling in RWD, that is not applicable to AWD with the same changes?? What if we add wider track, LSD, suspension geometry changes to the AWD? That isnt exactly a direct comparison unless we do. The only thing you save in RWD is weight (negligible, doesnt help braking, or cornering, increases push), and drag (helps top end, but decreases handling).

Any improvements you do above and beyond the RWD in and of itself will make the journey to delete push even more difficult than with the AWD. So the fact remains that you still have to work to make the car handle better. Which you could still do while you're AWD.

Down the road, with neither both cars being made nearly completely nuetral in cornering (or however the driver prefers), the RWD would ultimately be faster, due to straight line speed only. But we cant ignore the fact that it will take more work.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:16 PM
A major mod to give you a similar GT2 ride height that will also make a huge difference on track is to remove the Rubber mounts between the rear subframe/chassis, there is a shim kit solid mounts that pop in there, I would talk to GMG, sure they will have something.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:21 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tom kerr
ok here is a vid my friend in his GT3 posted running behind me last weekend in the open passing session at Chin Sebring, Fathers day.

you can see how the car handles from the view behind, comments welcome, Mike, Dez, Jean.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkRA-S50bgo

Tom, you didnt use the track out at Turn 1 in those three laps, was that intentional?

You missed the apex on that last turn before the back straight on the second and thirs lap (though the third you looked like you were trying to get out of the way for cool down).

Other than that I dont know sebring well enough to coach. You did a good job of late apex for the most part IMO, you may be able to turn in a little earlier and still get the late apex, but I cant argue with you driving with safety and staying on the track in mind, you did a nice job of getting the car pointed.

I think as you get used to the RWD limits and start pushing it, you'll shave lots of time off.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm still AWD, but our weather conditions can be a bit mmmmm!

To be honest I'm not to fussed, but would love to try RWD, but then again I have the Gaytronic, Talking of which, sure RPM North were converting a Tippy to RWD, any joy?

Old 06-18-2008, 03:31 PM
If you put in a lot of camber it will be pretty much the same, only the AWD will help pull you out of situations a bit better, and is less likely to snap rebound oversteer. But still maneageable. I dont know how much you drive on the streets, but it's worth a try. The ring may be a bit tricky though. I'd try it with some serious neg camber dialed in first.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:38 PM
I don't think I can pull the driveshafts, I have been told sensors go berzerk on the Tippy

Old 06-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Tom has been in my car and can comment on my driving... Others here have been on track with me and can comment... I have NEVER had a GT3 in MY RUN GROUP who could run laps with me in the straights or the corners... Simply put, the "GT3" isn't the answer. It boils down to setting the car up properly and driving it properly...

Dez, I think there's a lot more that needs to be explored... If I keep my car, I'll be heading down this path to see if it's the better solution for me. I think Tom Kerr is onto something, and although it is apples to oranges, I do like his apples over your oranges!

Mike

Originally Posted by MY996TT
You should be driving the GT3; I bet you can go faster with it.

Last edited by Mikelly; 06-18-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:00 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Tom has been in my car and can comment on my driving... Others here have been on track with me and can comment... I have NEVER had a GT3 in MY RUN GROUP who could run laps with me in the straights or the corners... Simply put, the "GT3" isn't the answer. It boils down to setting the car up properly and driving it properly...

Mike
Mike,
I said that as a joke since the GT3 kept up with Tom pretty well; I didn't mean anything negative.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Tom, How did the tranny cooler work out this weekend?

Mike

Originally Posted by tom kerr
ok here is a vid my friend in his GT3 posted running behind me last weekend in the open passing session at Chin Sebring, Fathers day.

you can see how the car handles from the view behind, comments welcome, Mike, Dez, Jean.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkRA-S50bgo

Old 06-18-2008, 04:55 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm trying to educate you on how the whole track thing works... I'm in white run group, which is two groups down from Tom... I'll move up fairly quickly to black and then eventually red, but In white, I have zero concern for GT3s... In Red, it's more driver than car.

I'd never take a GT3 over a TT or GT2... I'd take a "cup car" (and may) but that's with the intent of racing it...

Once you get into tracking your baby, a whole 'nuther education begins...

Originally Posted by MY996TT
Mike,
I said that as a joke since the GT3 kept up with Tom pretty well; I didn't mean anything negative.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:21 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Don't get me wrong, I'm trying to educate you on how the whole track thing works... I'm in white run group, which is two groups down from Tom... I'll move up fairly quickly to black and then eventually red, but In white, I have zero concern for GT3s... In Red, it's more driver than car.

I'd never take a GT3 over a TT or GT2... I'd take a "cup car" (and may) but that's with the intent of racing it...

Once you get into tracking your baby, a whole 'nuther education begins...
Thanks, I'm still in the progress of convincing my wife that tracking is very safe (she knows how I drive on streets). I'm almost there; can't wait.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:29 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Tom and Jean awesome info thrown into this discussion. Dez I am so surprised to still see you are having a tough time, if it makes you feel any better I am as well, but FINE TUNING it in to my liking. The car GOES and goes fast, you just have to know how to pilot it as Mike mentioned, setup is key to giving the driver that confidence (as well as skill) to utilize it, the RWD and weight up front will take a little to get use to difference wise, but with dialing that suspension in you can get the front end feeling solid and planted, there is still A LOT of work to be done with your car, I have been there 2 fold!

Dez at our next outing I would love for you to drive my car if you feel comfortable, Tom or anyone looking to change the geometry/setting/components to get a feel for how it will become (well as close to)

Old 06-19-2008, 03:51 AM
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Tom and Jean awesome info thrown into this discussion. Dez I am so surprised to still see you are having a tough time, if it makes you feel any better I am as well, but FINE TUNING it in to my liking. The car GOES and goes fast, you just have to know how to pilot it as Mike mentioned, setup is key to giving the driver that confidence (as well as skill) to utilize it, the RWD and weight up front will take a little to get use to difference wise, but with dialing that suspension in you can get the front end feeling solid and planted, there is still A LOT of work to be done with your car, I have been there 2 fold!

Dez at our next outing I would love for you to drive my car if you feel comfortable, Tom or anyone looking to change the geometry/setting/components to get a feel for how it will become (well as close to)
Martin, I'd love to drive your car, and will accept the offer, but you seem to forget the fact that you have a REAL GT2. Which is an entirely different story. I wouldnt dare say the TT is faster than the GT2, or turns or has less push. I've never driven one, though I've driven a 996 and 997 GT3 and the suspension is so much more advanced, it's not even funny. Hence the reason it takes us 550 and 600 hp to beat a 385 hp 996 GT3 and a 415 hp 997 GT3, and most of that is still drag racing to victory.

You have THAT kind of suspension on your car. With the same power we have. So of course there is NO comparison.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RWD Track impressions.