996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

RWD Track impressions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Dez

Please do some research before posting data.

I am not very familiar with the US specs for the cars other than what I hear from a friend who races for the factory there and I can't keep asking him questions!

As far as Cup vs. RSR, you mention never having seen any Cup getting closer than 5 seconds in pro racing.

Here are some examples for you, I was able to pick the only three tracks where the Supercup and FIA GT race in common. FIA GT times are obviously 997RSRs whereas Supercup are Cup cars.

Silverstone 2007:
Fastest qualifying FIA GT: 1.49s Collard
Fastest qualifying Supercup: 1.52 Armindo

Spa Francorchamps 2007;
Fastest qualifying FIA GT: 2.22s Collard/Lieb (bunch of others in 2.23-2.25s)
Fastest qualifying Supercup: 2.25 Bleekmolen (the top 10 were all in the 2.25s)

Monza 2007;
Fastest qualifying FIA GT: 1.51.2s zani (collard 1.51.9)
Fastest qualifying Supercup: 1.51.9 Faulkner (the top 11 were all in the 1.52s)

In our 24H race in Dubai in January, the fastest lap time was for Alzen in a highly modified 996RSR 4.0 ltr (did not finish) in 2.03 flat, whereas the second fastest was a 997RSR which lap time was 2.03.3s. The fastest 997 cup was driven by Bleekmolen and timed a best of 2.06.6.

With the above examples you now know of a few Cup cars being closer than 5 seconds to the fastest 997RSRs.

Cheers

Old 06-21-2008, 12:55 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Jean, Supercup is a professional series, how does that equal a club driver? You see allkinds of heralded drivers going through there, ones that have already had victories at lemans, and have a full race team support with several international drivers.

Put one of those caliber drivers with a full race support from a pro team in Al's car and see what happens. You arent even comparing apples to apples here. Pro drivers with race team sponsored and developed cars, vs street cars.

When I say club racing I mean something like the PCA where guys buy a cup car and have one mechanic or something set it up and go.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Jean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond reputeJean has a reputation beyond repute
Dez

TRUST ME! I know the difference between Pro and amateur racing, i am not sure how long you have been around race tracks, this is my 23rd year! It was you who was calling people on Rennlist and here pro drivers not me!You were arguing my point when I said that the difference between Cup cars and RSR is around 5 seconds, I don't even know why.

Then you mentioned FIA GT, what is that, amateur racing?

I am comparing FIA GT vs. Supercup, BOTH driven by PRO drivers. In fact most Supercup drivers PAY to race, are not paid to race, so that adds one more question mark about their professional status..The difference as you can see is less than 5 seconds, I did not make this up, it is the realityand there is the data, Cup cars are about 5 seconds slower or less than the fastest 997RSRs! You can choose to look at this from as many angles as you want, the reality does not change, that's the difference, PRO vs PRO for accurate comparison.

I don't even know why you got here from a 2WD conversation, but if you maintain that AL's full weight 996TT with JIC suspension goes as fast as a CUP car, then your Cup car drivers in the US are extremely SLOW! Which I doubt is the case? And yes, I know the difference between time trials and racing, I win every time trial I participated in this year and beat the lap record that holds until today, 6 seconds faster than the fastest 997GT3RS and faster than a race modified 996GT2 driven by a professional (9th in the 24 hours, 10th in the Porsche Transsyberia, 1 of 104 Porsche instructors worldwide, etc..), and I am still slower than a well driven 997CUP, so trust me I DO KNOW.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:51 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Jean, YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT.

You are the one comparing a Supercup PRO driver to Al's Amatuer driven car. the problem with that is, not only is the driver pro, but the teams are pro too, so how in the heck are we supposed to compare the two?

You are trying to forge a useless comparison of pro vs amatuer. All I said was, with amatuer club (NON PRO!!!!!!) drivers in their OWN car, without professional team developement and on the same tires.

So on EQUAL GROUNDS AS AL's car.

Al's car could turn a lap that is close/equal or maybe faster at some tracks.

Then you go and throw a freaking pro racing series into it. Comon man. How is that a fair comparison?

I'll even one up you, even though this cant be proved. Take Al's car to be developed by one of the pro teams, and driven by a pro supercup driver, with supercup slicks. And it will still be close or equal to a Cup Car. FOR A ONE LAP TIME ONLY.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
In an effort to try and rescue this thread and get it back on topic, Several times comments were made in reference to "GT2 suspension" being "different" and "better".

Can we get a running list of the differences in the two suspension systems??? I know the uprights are different and the upper and lower control arms are different... What else makes the GT2 suspension so much of an advantage that one would consider just "selling their TT and buying a GT2"?

Why not just buy the parts?
Mike

Old 06-21-2008, 03:41 PM
I beleive the bushings are solid (all of them) on the GT2.

Arent the pickup points different as well? That's all I can think of. But someone mentioned before the detriment of lowering the TT's compared to the GT2/3, had something to do with the angle of the control arms which I dont know would change with uppers and lowers or not.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I'll get that confirmed shortly, but if that isnt the case, I'd expect there's minimal outlay in additional parts/time to get a well sorted TT converted to RWD to perform at the level you've come to expect...

Mike

Old 06-22-2008, 03:40 AM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Jean, YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT.You are the one comparing a Supercup PRO driver to Al's Amatuer driven car.
Can you show me where I compared a Supercup pro driver with Al?

I only responded to :
Originally Posted by heavychevy
But I have NEVER heard of a stock 997 Cup running 5 seconds slower than an ALMS spec RSR during race laps or qualifying, not a stock RSR testing. I'm talking about competition. And I have yet to see a 997 Cup 5 seconds from an RSR anywhere. 6 or 7 maybe.
by giving you three examples in FIA GT Pro Series (like ALMS) where “stock” Cup cars are less than 5 seconds apart from “stock” RSRs.

Dez, have you driven a 997 Cup car all out? If you have, you would know that this is not possible in Al’s current configuration even with slicks and with the same driver in both cars.

This has become very time consuming, unfortunately I cannot keep up, so I will limit my interventions, maybe also for the good of this thread. I have been using 2WD for three years now, and been in all the sorts of cars involved in this discussion, and know that a properly setup Porsche 996 4WD will never be as competitive as a properly setup 2WD (weight savings included) in dry conditions on the track..and that’s my opinion only J

Ciao!

Old 06-22-2008, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by Jean
Al

I was mentioning the test as you asked how to test it, there is no point otherwise I agree except if you want to know how the car is coping with the tune.

Dez,
Without getting into too much detail, when I say well driven Cup, I mean a good club driver, top 1-2 driving a 997 Cup. If Al's street car with JICs and stock weight goes as fast as a well driven Cup I will have to retire from this hobby sooner rather than later.

Leh Keen's is hardly a reference since his car runs without restrictors (and other changes). The 996RSR like mine is about 3-4 seconds faster than a 997Cup, and the 997RSR about 5 seconds faster per lap on our local track here. (driven by Pros)

I don't understand the Supercup tire comment, I guess you are talking about the Michelin S8 slicks.
Sorry for thinking you would remember what you said earlier. I was going based on the presumption that we were still talking about CLUB DRIVERS since you specified that in your comments.

Next thing I know, you throw pro racing series at me. Whereas, Al's car has neither the developement, nor level of driver to make a fair comparison.

I'm done with it, you win.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:11 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
I'm done with it, you win.[/quote]

Thanks for your assistance Jean.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Al Norton
I'm done with it, you win

Thanks for your assistance Jean.
I hope you have not taken anything I said against you!

Dez, no winners or losers, seriously, just differences in opinion strongly voiced. Looking forward to meet you at a track one of these days and have some good fun.

Cheers

Old 06-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
[quote=Jean;1914739]I hope you have not taken anything I said against you!

No Harm, no foul. All is well with me.

Old 06-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Screw that... I took it all personally...

Oh, wait... It wasn't directed at me...

But I did take notes and learned some "stuff"...

This RWD thing has me interested...

Mike

Old 06-22-2008, 02:08 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jean
Can you show me where I compared a Supercup pro driver with Al?

I only responded to : by giving you three examples in FIA GT Pro Series (like ALMS) where “stock” Cup cars are less than 5 seconds apart from “stock” RSRs.

Dez, have you driven a 997 Cup car all out? If you have, you would know that this is not possible in Al’s current configuration even with slicks and with the same driver in both cars.

This has become very time consuming, unfortunately I cannot keep up, so I will limit my interventions, maybe also for the good of this thread. I have been using 2WD for three years now, and been in all the sorts of cars involved in this discussion, and know that a properly setup Porsche 996 4WD will never be as competitive as a properly setup 2WD (weight savings included) in dry conditions on the track..and that’s my opinion only J

Ciao!
Jean,

thanks for all your input, I was thinking the same as your post I quoted.

tom

Old 06-23-2008, 04:07 AM
Red 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond reputeRed 9 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mikelly
In an effort to try and rescue this thread and get it back on topic, Several times comments were made in reference to "GT2 suspension" being "different" and "better".

Can we get a running list of the differences in the two suspension systems??? I know the uprights are different and the upper and lower control arms are different... What else makes the GT2 suspension so much of an advantage that one would consider just "selling their TT and buying a GT2"?

Why not just buy the parts?
Mike
This to me is the key issue on topic. Effectively this is cost effective way to complete 2 WD conversion and maximise the 2 WD gain.I absoloutely agree with Jean on relative performance issue. Even the "amateur" is going to benefit from getting the set up right-- and as others have said -this can take time with trial and error. Potentially this thread can give a lot of people the heads up on how to improve the car and advance the track performance and save them a lot of time and effort. So let's hear some specifics eg who is using original set up. Who has changed? What was the result/ problems ? etc

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RWD Track impressions.