996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

First Zaino - mixed results...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 05:06 AM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future
First Zaino - mixed results...

Put two coats of Z5 on today following the wash. I used 1 ounce or half one of those little bottles with 4 drops of zfx. Does that sound like correct consumption?

It seemed to take a lot of rubbing to get it off and I was somewhat concerned about rubbing the snot out of it for fear of causing further swirls. Also, there seemed to be some muddy spots which I've tried to capture in one of the pics.

Anyway, maybe one of you zaino guys could give me some tips.

Thanks.

Old 07-25-2004, 05:07 AM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future
2nd...

Old 07-25-2004, 05:08 AM
3rd...

Old 07-25-2004, 05:09 AM
4th...

Old 07-25-2004, 05:09 AM
5th...

Old 07-25-2004, 05:34 AM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
Zaino is pretty easy to use. The only things that come to mind are the following...

Was the surface stripped of all prior waxes and polishes??? Did you wash with Dawn dishwashing soap or anything??

You may have used to much or put it on to heavy. The thinner the better, or so they say. Since you say you had trouble removing it, I tend to think this may have been your problem.

Old 07-25-2004, 07:19 AM
Dave@EFI is infamous around these partsDave@EFI is infamous around these parts
Good advice above. Another trick you might want to employ, is to use the Z6 detailing spray after you've removed the brunt of the flashed Zaino. This will get rid of all of the residue and leave you with a nice spotless finish......I just got done doing my Z.

Old 07-25-2004, 07:27 AM
JON913D is infamous around these parts
Your results might have been better if you followed the steps from www.zainobros.com more closely.

I am not sure how the Zaino polish would mix with other waxes under it. Also I think the correct mixture of the ZFX to polish is 3-4 drops per one ounce of polish. So if you filled an entire bottle (which is 2 ounces) you didn't have enough of the additive which helps the polish "dry" faster.

Just somethings I noticed. Don't mean to be critical, but you spent the money on the good stuff it would be nice to see great results.

Old 07-25-2004, 07:39 AM
TUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant future
My first time around I did the wash, clay bar, and then wax with Z6 after. I think the clay bar worked wonders.

T

Old 07-25-2004, 07:48 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
clay bar is key to prepping paint properly. Definately sounds like you didn't follow the proper procedures and maybe applied to much because zaino is one of the easiest wax i've used as far as removal goes

Old 07-25-2004, 07:57 AM
The Newest "Bling King"
Gary (Fl) is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Soon2be993tt
Maybe applied to much because zaino is one of the easiest wax i've used as far as removal goes
Same here... It is very easy to remove....

Old 07-25-2004, 09:17 AM
Mark M is infamous around these parts
To answer some of your questions...
4-5 drops of ZFX is fine per 1oz portion of whatever you use.
If you used the whole 1oz for the 2 coats, then you most likely applied it thin enough. I use about 1/2 oz for 1 coat on my car.
In pics 3 and 4, I notice a fair amount of swirls or spider webbing. The goal now is to prevent anymore or eliminate them. If you continue to use Z5, these will slowly fill in and get hidden. Expect up to 6 or more coats though. Also make sure your applicator is wet and is a 100% cotton product including exposed stitching. A microfibre one will be good too, if you can find them.
Let the product dry completely. Removal is much easier with a high quality microfibre cloth. Even though Zaino claims you can do all this in the sun, I recommend the shade. The sun just makes it more difficult to remove the product from my experience. Any streaking or un-removed product can be buffed out "lightly" with Z6 detail spray or even a mist of ordinary water.
As other people mentioned, you have to start with a paint surface that is stripped of any previous waxes, etc, before you can expect Zaino to bond and perform as intended. If you didn't, then remove the Zaino and other wax with a prep-cleaner like 3M prep-sol or equivelent. Then wash (clay bar if necessary) and then do the ZFX and Z5 again.
I hope this helps and you won't give up

Old 07-25-2004, 09:36 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
to bad you are in canada, i'd love to take a PC to your car w/ some meguiars #83 DACP and follow it up w/ a nice glaze then wax.

take a look at this navigator I just did, while it's silver it's hard to see the improvement but the paint had horrible spider webbing, swirls like crazy. It's a 99 and has never been waxed prior to my knowledge.

(i only did the paint on this car, disregard the other dirty parts)

what your car needs is a good detail. The key is to remove the imperfections not try to fill and cover them up. It's worth the money you'll spend, expect to spend about $200 on a good full detail.

After that we need to go over your washing methods to prevent these imperfections in the future.

What wash, brush/mitt, drying towels you use, etc.

Also remember, don't wax in circular motions.

if you need to find a good detailer let me know where you are at and i'll ask around on a few detailing boards.

Last edited by HotRodGuy; 07-25-2004 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the input guys. To answer some of the questions, I just got the car last week. I washed it twice with Palmolive dish soap thinking that would remove all the old wax - maybe it didn't. I used a little more than 3/4 of an ounce and did two coats using the Zaino applicator. Removal was with big white cotton towels.

I suspect the problem was caused by my failure to completely remove the old wax.

Originally posted by Soon2be993tt
if you need to find a good detailer let me know where you are at and i'll ask around on a few detailing boards.
That would be great if you could - I'd like to get it professionally done if I could find the right guy. Thanks.

Old 07-25-2004, 10:26 PM
where in Ontario are ya?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First Zaino - mixed results...