996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

1st time @ the 1/4 w/ the 996tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 12:25 AM
DMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud of
Links,
I know that it takes nerve to be there and actually do it. But once you do it a couple times you will start to get all the butterflies out of your system and concentrate at the task @ hand. Your car is quick, and you will do better with a couple more runs in. Try to shift around the 6000 mark and practice your launches. be consistent on the rpm shifts. You can then fine tune your lauches and shifting styles to improve.
HAVE LOTS OF FUN BRO.... try getting some vids too!

Old 06-13-2008, 07:48 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Great pass LiNks. Since you have a K24 setup, I don't know how much you can do about the 60'.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:13 AM
DFW911T is infamous around these partsDFW911T is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DMaffo
Links,
... Your car is quick, and you will do better with a couple more runs in. ...
QUICK?
Dang! My car is quick, 12.1 at 115 trap and 4,650 pounds.

Your car, Links car ... they're just fast!
I guess everything is relative, but there aren't that many street cars trapping 125+.

Great run Links, can't wait to see the vid from a cool night after lots of practice and a decent 60'.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:43 AM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MY996TT
Great pass LiNks. Since you have a K24 setup, I don't know how much you can do about the 60'.
What do you mean? I felt like i barely got off the line at all, the first time i even double clutched it to try and get the revs back up before it bogged down. I think just getting used to the surface and not being worried about feathering the clutch out at 3k RPM will get me a better 60'.

DFW911T - Thanks for the compliments, the cars are so capable of being fast, get it to a good shop/tuner and your set, Eddie and Tim from RPM really helped me out, they did some extra piping and really tried to squeeze whatever they could out of the K24 setup, and I dont even have headers yet, i think I am going to let them make me a set for my next mod.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:49 AM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
The K24's are not the problem, they are capable of a very good 60' time. It's just a matter of achieving the right blend of throttle and clutch to hook up and not spin too much.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:22 AM
DMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud ofDMaffo has much to be proud of
john d,
can you please go and get your 10 second pass please....11.01....come on please...id rather see 10.99...... think about it... if you shift the car at a diff rpm in any gear your probs will get it doing everything else the same... lol.... PLEASE...oh and get the video...!!! lol....
Links...,
So long as you dont have ceramic type clutch you will get a lot better 60 footer..
3k launches is not bad, but try to get the release technique other than concentrate on keeping it at 3k and launch'n. it will all come natural after a few tries... Just dont over do it and burn your clutch out!! lol...

Old 06-13-2008, 12:08 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
I was getting consistent 1.7x just dumping it from 4k RPM. Forget feathering it and slipping it out, it wastes a lot of time and you're already rolling by then. Bring the revs up, drop the clutch, and hold on. If it's ceramic it'll take it EASY.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:24 PM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
I have a Kevlar clutch, Wednesday I am going to just dump it at 3-4K and see what happens. Be ready for new times next week!!

Old 06-13-2008, 12:42 PM
be careful bunny wabbit..if you hop too long on a clutch dump you will be looking at new axles!!! make sure you are not hopping on anything you do!

Old 06-13-2008, 12:46 PM
haha alright thank you, good looks.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:54 PM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Agreed, the hop is not your friend. Lower the tires way down and you'll be fine.

Man, I wish I was going to E-Town this weekend.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:07 PM
bimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to behold
nice trap!

Old 06-13-2008, 05:21 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
john d,
can you please go and get your 10 second pass please....11.01....come on please...id rather see 10.99...... think about it... if you shift the car at a diff rpm in any gear your probs will get it doing everything else the same... lol.... PLEASE...oh and get the video...!!! lol....
DMaffo,

I agree and hopefully it will be done soon. - all I want in my Porsche drag racing life is a 10-anything on street tires and I will be happy. I am not able to get to the track for a few weeks and then the weather may be too hot for a perfect run, but I am going to give it a shot. If I don't get it, I will try again in the fall when it cools down a bit. I know the car can do it - it's just a matter of time. Those 11-flat runs had a lot of wheel spin and I just could not get the car to hook up well.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:16 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LiNks
What do you mean? I felt like i barely got off the line at all, the first time i even double clutched it to try and get the revs back up before it bogged down. I think just getting used to the surface and not being worried about feathering the clutch out at 3k RPM will get me a better 60'.
LiNks,
I do not currently have a K24 setup and should not make comment on that, sorry. From other threads, I learned that K24s are not low end turbos and pull stronger on the high end; therefore I made the assumption of some lag would happen on the 60' and might not be totally caused by driving.

My car has GT28 hybrids which are low end turbos. My best 60' was 1.9 but trap about the same time as you did.

Last edited by MY996TT; 06-13-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:46 PM
ahh i see, it was definately my pathetic driving technique that got me that 2.0 60' , with GT28 hybrids I would think you should see a couple mph more then me. You also have some room in that 60' to improve too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1st time @ the 1/4 w/ the 996tt