996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Brake Mods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 10:06 AM
Carolina Speed
james is infamous around these parts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bob M
[B]I'll throw out another possibility to you all regarding rotor options. PFC full floating slotted rotors will soon be available to fit the front stock calipers of our cars. The other amazing thing was that the caliper/rotor temps taken after my sessions showed almost a 150 degree F difference front to rear, with the rears being hotter!

I got similar results from the 14" alum hat floating rotors from Sol with Giant (beautiful) cross drilled scalloped holes.

Old 07-28-2004, 10:55 AM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Awesome Bob, see you then. PS, Bob has rumored some fast times. I may have my work more than cut our for me to retiain the fully unnofficial and equally unimportant crown of fastest 6-speed Gingerman time.

James
I am going with Sol's rotors as well. He will have my car on Monday!

The ABS will still work based upon not slipping too much, it's just that if you try to modulate just below ABS point, and the bias is too far foward (I am pretty sure about this with Pagid Blacks), you are leaving braking. By going to highe coefficient pads at the back, I will be getting more braking back there and hopefully better balance. The ABS should be uneffected, as long as I don't now go to rear ABS first. I am aiming for front adn rear ABS engagagement at the same time (wihtout jamming the pedal). Make sense?

Bt the way, I intend to try some laps doing exactly that, forcing full abs braking through turn in and see if it is faster.

Old 07-28-2004, 06:29 PM
Carolina Speed
james is infamous around these parts
let us know the results. I am especially interested in the idea of mixing two diff't pads front to rear since we have similar rotor scoop 18" wheel set ups. Do you plan on testing with slicks or DOTs?

Old 07-28-2004, 06:50 PM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
James, I'm going to be on GT-2 spec PS2's. But here is the kicker...

I'll have IR sensors for real-time data acquisition on caliper and rotor temps!

The Bling King might have to change to Engineering GOD!!!

Old 07-28-2004, 11:47 PM
Bob M is infamous around these parts
I am sure that you will really notice an improvement with Sol's floating rotor setup. There are a lot of people happy with that setup. I decided to go with the PFC rotors for a couple reasons. I noticed that quite a few racers were using them and I was tired of dealing with that cracking that comes with cross drilled rotors. With a floating rotor, the heat generated is much less, so maybe it wouldn't be such an issue. But, with the slotted rotors, I know I won't have to deal with that problem. I am looking forward to comparing setups with you Tim.