996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Driftbox vs. PerformanceBox

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 05:29 PM
dreamtripper is infamous around these parts
Driftbox vs. PerformanceBox

Which do most people use? I'm interested in some basic measurements like 0-60, 60-130 etc Don't plan on doing any "drifting" so is there any benefit to paying the extra $ for the Driftbox?

Also, how are either of these set up in the car? Is it like a GPS unit that you mount and power via the cigarette lighter adapter or does it have to be hooked up with the car's electronics in any way?

Old 06-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
There is no point in spending the extra $$ on the driftbox if you only plan on testing 0-60, 60-130, etc..

I bought a p-box and it's been great for testing acceleration. It mounts on the windshield and pugs into the cigarette lighter.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:39 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
look at gtech pro rr is that's all you're interested in.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:45 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
P-b0x

Old 06-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
P-Box...definitely.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Harold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud ofHarold has much to be proud of
Dirftbox gives scoring on drifting- totally pointless for track driving and performance measurement. The PBox has everything the Dbox have other than the drifting feature. Go for the PBox. It mounts to windscreen, and plugs into cigarette lighter. Also comes with power cord so you can plug it into a mains power supply if you want to download data via USB.

Used to own a Gtech, replaced it with the Pbox. You will be pleased.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:52 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
P Box is all you need. They have just issued a new firmware and software upgrade that makes a good product even better. Will integrate with video and has other new enhancements. Price is right compared to others in the option. Tech support is very good.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:52 PM
manalex is infamous around these parts
I've had a P-Box for a year now and use it at all the DE's I attend. I use the antena and keep the unit in the glove box-works pretty well that way. Only complaint I have is that you can not record any of the parameters from the car itself, i.e. RPM, % throttle, brake, etc. But that may not be an issue for you.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:18 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Al Norton
P Box is all you need. They have just issued a new firmware and software upgrade that makes a good product even better. Will integrate with video and has other new enhancements. Price is right compared to others in the option. Tech support is very good.
+1 on the Tech Support, I got sameday email reply every time.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:41 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
p-box

Old 06-20-2008, 09:17 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Here is a comparison chart on the features - http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/g...tbox-i-48.html

Old 06-20-2008, 09:52 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
I purchased the Drift Box (DB) because of the Serial Output to navigation device (NMEA) or optional Telemetry Link. Also, if I did not like the DB, I would be able to sell to a larger potential audience.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:05 AM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by robertp
I purchased the Drift Box (DB) because of the Serial Output to navigation device (NMEA) or optional Telemetry Link. Also, if I did not like the DB, I would be able to sell to a larger potential audience.
So what do you do with those extra features? Were they worth the extra $300?

Old 06-20-2008, 10:31 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
I have yet to use them

Old 06-20-2008, 12:35 PM
wirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud ofwirx has much to be proud of
one cheap alternative is Racechrono(free) www.racechrono.com + Bluetooth 5Hz GPS(about 50$ and you can use it later to navigate home with laptop or tomtom) + mobilephone.
0-x accuracy isn't very good, but for tracking you get accuracy 00:00.0x(h:s:ms) and many ways to look, compare, graphs etc your times. It works with every symbian phone like nokia n or e series, complete list here http://racechrono.com/download/?lang=en
I have used all them - driftbox, perfomancebox and racechrono and I like racechrono because of price and realtime graphs with comparsions. If 0-x times are important then, racechrono isn't a option, but for tracking it's very good and you don't need to mess with cables (latest version supports OBD reader with speed, rpm, throttle position, gear, coolant temp, etc)
Some phone screenshots -

Last edited by wirx; 06-20-2008 at 12:44 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driftbox vs. PerformanceBox