996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

First Power Mods- Flash, Exhast, Wastegate, DVs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 04:48 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
First Power Mods- Flash, Exhast, Wastegate, DVs

Wow.

Just Wow.

Moving from an E39M5 to the 996TT was big ‘step’ in terms of performance- particularly acceleration. Having just finished my first tranche of mods, the ‘step’ in performance was just as dramatic as that first drive.

Here what I did:

Europipe EP2 Loud
UMW Flash
UMW wastegate kit
Forge Diverter valves

My car was a stock X50.

I did it myself- nobody that I trust more, and really not much local (Sharkwerks is 3 hrs away). And why pay someone else to work on such a magnificent piece of engineering?

At the same time I have a few other odds and ends: SSK (997 shifter) wiper delete, V1 hardwire with remote display. I also did plugs and an oil change, new tires (upsized to 235/315)

Comments on Mods:
I took my time deciding on what I wanted. I am thinking of mods in basically 4 areas:

Wheels/tires
Suspension
Brakes
Power

Wheels and tires will be a visual mod, hence lower on my priorities. I had been looking for an EP2 Quiet for a while, when a Loud popped up on ebay. I did a BuyItNow within hours of it appearing on ebay. (I later heard through a tuner that multiple 6speeders were looking at it..sorry)

Once that was acquired, the rest of the power mods fell in place: A UMW flash, diverters. In discussions with Kevin @ UMW it was clear that the stock wastegates on the K24 would not hold the expected boost, and for a relatively modest amount I could get more from the K24s. I also picked up a 997 shifter from a member here for $110 shipped.

Unfortunately, in the middle of that, a deer nailed me in the right rear fender, resulting in a 3 week break for repairs.... got her back last Friday and spent fathers day under the car.

Impressions.

What can I say? Just MORE power, comes on faster, so much better throttle response. Just all around ‘tighter’ control and delivery. I've only run perhaps 1/4 tank of gas, since the flash was done, but such a refined feeling.

I am very, very pleased with how this now works. Holding a solid 1.1bar, with 1.2 on occasion. (This on 94 octane)

And of course, absolutely solid support from Kevin at UMW with any questions I had.

Next?

I think it will be the JIC Cross 8/12

Old 06-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Gee, More throttle response? More power? More enjoyable to drive everywhere?

Must be a UMW tune!

Mike

Old 06-21-2008, 04:59 PM
smistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond repute
now that you holding 1.2 bar, you better add new boost hoses also!

Old 06-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Yea, I recommend the SAMCO units, which I installed before I did my UMW software upgrade.
Mike

Originally Posted by smistry007
now that you holding 1.2 bar, you better add new boost hoses also!

Last edited by Mikelly; 06-22-2008 at 05:57 AM.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:15 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
Adam,

Glad to hear you are so happy with the outcome of your upgrades. It's really amazing what can be achieved with these cars through simple bolt-on's.

It's a slippery slope from here, though. 700 HP is right around the corner!!

Good luck with future upgrades...you're off to a good start!!

Old 06-21-2008, 09:23 PM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
congrats on the mods.. adam is right you are traveling a slippery slope

have fun and be safe

tim

Old 06-22-2008, 11:27 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I have UMW stuff too...amazing. I next went to suspension with JIC's.....best deal in my mind on a full suspension system...did the full thing via Dan, including monster front sway links....could not be happier (great support from Dan...coilovers, front and rear sways, control arms, links....all the stuff you could eat off of.....

Just came in from a two hour mountain cruise with the boys in back...in boosters....talk about amazing time. THAT is what really matters! They had grins. No radio. Just sunroof and windows...and talking and giggling for two hours....

JB