996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Garage flooring ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 10:48 PM
timf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud of
Garage flooring ?

Ok, I know some of you guys have some very well put together / organized garages - I've seen the pictures ;-)

Now I'm in the process of giving my garage an over haul and am wondering about floor tiles - Race Deck, Kiwi or stuck down Home Deport Armstrongs.

I trying to decide between Race Deck & Kiwi - they look very similar, any comments / opinions ?

Not too keen on the idea of stuck down tiles - looks like it could be a lot more work.

BTW second engine in my TT now has 600 miles on it and is settling in nicely - 1st engine replaced at 7000 miles due to porous engine casting.

New engine is nice and shiny - no cosmoline splattered on it !

Old 07-29-2004, 10:53 PM
GT3Scott is infamous around these partsGT3Scott is infamous around these parts
I went back and forth many times, and finally ordered Kiwi tiles. Should be here by next week. Will post pics of install, and finished installation. I was going to do VCT but hated the idea that if I didnt like it, taking it up would be a PAIN. Same goes for epoxy. At least the snap down tiles can be rearranged easily, or individual tiles replaced easily.

$3/sf isnt cheap, but, you dont add any real labor for install which can add up $$ or in your knees and back!

Old 07-29-2004, 11:32 PM
timf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud of
Same here...

I agree, tending towards Kiwi's for ease of use, less mess (compared to VCT) and slightly lower cost per sq foot when compared to Race Deck.

Just wondering if there were any detailed differences between Kiwi and Race Deck ? Can't see any from the pictures.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures - I'm thinking blue and grey tiles for my garage.

I only need 600 sq ft, so the cost isn't too outrageous !

Old 07-29-2004, 11:53 PM
Dr. T is infamous around these parts
Another option are the Resilia floor tiles. They are interlocking similar to Kiwi and Racedeck. Here's the website: Resilia
I got samples of each and liked the Resilia the best. Ordered about 1100sqft. I'll let you know how it goes when they arrive and I finish the project. Call Milo, he's very informative and helpful.
-Glen

Old 07-30-2004, 04:30 AM
Banned
Tim W. is infamous around these parts
Well here is my take on things.

It is up to what you want to spend.

The VCT does have its mess to lay drawback. But you need to clean out the garage regardless of the tile you put down. THe adhesive is your "messy" step. You lay the tile just like you would racedeck etc.

Cost was a biggie for me. To do my garage in Kiwi would have cost more than 2/3 more.

I bought 630 square feet of tile.

Kiwi (2.74 I think) $1726.20
VCT (.60 I know) $378.00

I saw this as a MAJOR factor. Heck my whole project with glue and buffer rental etc. was 648.00 or so I think.

The other thing that was purely personal was the feel of the Race Deck type systems. I have a buddy who put Racedeck in his shop and walking on it is just not as nice. What do I mean by that? You ever walk in a basement that has a sub-floor and not just concrete? It is hollowish like that. That is a purely personal observation though.

Good luck!

Old 07-30-2004, 04:43 AM
john revis is infamous around these parts
Tim, I also put down the VCT and like it, however, I din't buff it before or after I waxed it with the recommended 5 coats. When did you buff it and why? Benefits? Thanks.

Old 07-30-2004, 04:56 AM
well there I was all settled on Kiwi's, then....

I read about kiwi like tiles from Sears for less $$$, then I read about the noise factor from Tim W. - something I hadn't considered before.
So now I'm back to wondering which way to go - still got plenty of time to decide and get it all sorted out as the wifes Mini Cooper S doesn't arrive till October. fyi It's the purchase of this little car which triggered the whole garage overhaul deal...

Anyway, deciding / installing is half the fun I guess !

Last edited by timf; 07-30-2004 at 05:13 AM.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:03 AM
dbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond reputedbf73 has a reputation beyond repute
I guess my question on the VCT is why wax at all? Appearance would seem to be the biggest reason but I wonder if it wouldn't make the floor more slippery - a potential problem when you have snow, water or ice in the garage.

Old 07-30-2004, 07:50 AM
john revis is infamous around these parts
half of mine was waxed for two weeks, and the other half not. I prefer the waxed. Not only does it look better, it seems to clean easier and resists getting dirty. So far, I don't find it to be slippery.

Old 07-30-2004, 07:55 AM
GT3Scott is infamous around these partsGT3Scott is infamous around these parts
mr doody has kiwi and says it doesnt clickety clack. you could always put some mesh rubber underneath (like what you sometimes put under throw rugs) which i would think would buffer the plastic-against concrete nicely.

In any case, I should be laying 1200sf of Kiwi in the next 2 weeks, so will post a full report!

p.s. The sears tile I posted comes in only one color, and is about the same price per sf as was the kiwi tile group buy here. Plus with Sears you pay tax, with kiwi you don't unless you are in a state where there is a distributer.

Old 07-30-2004, 10:08 AM
Banned
Tim W. is infamous around these parts
John:

I buffed it after I put the wax on it. I waxed it the day after I put it down. I did the 5 coats and then buffed. The shine is great looking. And so far everything has cleaned right up off the floor.

Over all I am really happy with the result. Besides it is the envy of the nieghborhood. hehehehehe

Old 07-30-2004, 10:39 AM
JK996TT is infamous around these parts
My Kiwi tile is silent and looks great and is easy to clean. No buffing, in fact no up keep of any type is required. Install was actually fun to a degree. I am in the process of building a new house and the Kiwi is a given.