996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Evoms Vflow is killing my MAF !!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 07:30 PM
Mz3bo is infamous around these parts
Evoms Vflow is killing my MAF !!!!

Hi,

As it has been reported numerous times, the Evoms V flow kit is killing my MAF like my car is killing bees... Has anyone found a solution by changing the cone filter to a speicif brand that will last and will not shot the MAF ?

Thanks
Bo

Old 07-03-2008, 07:35 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mz3bo
Hi,

As it has been reported numerous times, the Evoms V flow kit is killing my MAF like my car is killing bees... Has anyone found a solution by changing the cone filter to a speicif brand that will last and will not shot the MAF ?

Thanks
Bo
First make sure you have the non oiled (white) filter,and second be sure the plastic waffle is installed in the MAF.If this is all good give Mike @Evoms a call at 480-317-9911 and he will figure it out for ya!

Old 07-03-2008, 10:08 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mz3bo
Hi,

Thanks
Bo
The search tool is your friend. We just discussed this at lenth recently.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:52 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
There are two ways a MAF fails:

1. fouled due to oil and contaminants

2. Blown due to overvoltage

Different symptoms. Failure to have the waffle in the intake path to stabilize turbulent flow will cause #2. New mafs ensue.

Fouled mafs due to oiled filters can be cleaned- for a while- eventually an oxidization covers the sensor and cleaning will not restore original operating specs

Old 07-04-2008, 01:14 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
I left my stock filter in there and have never had a problem....strange how we spend $500 + to "upgrade" our cars with a slick CAI, then spend a bunch more buying MAFs for it. I think the money would be better spent saving it towards a flash. The dyno info on the CAI's isn't that impressive considering the initial costs and ongoing replacement problems. Granted....some folks never have a problem....but it seems that there's quite a few that do...and some who eventually call it quits and go back to stock. Sort of the scenic route to back where you started....

Old 07-04-2008, 05:09 AM
USCTrojanMan29 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
I left my stock filter in there and have never had a problem....strange how we spend $500 + to "upgrade" our cars with a slick CAI, then spend a bunch more buying MAFs for it. I think the money would be better spent saving it towards a flash. The dyno info on the CAI's isn't that impressive considering the initial costs and ongoing replacement problems. Granted....some folks never have a problem....but it seems that there's quite a few that do...and some who eventually call it quits and go back to stock. Sort of the scenic route to back where you started....
Interesting...I've had my V-flow in for about 2+ years (15k+ miles) and no problems here (using the dry filter).

Last edited by USCTrojanMan29; 07-04-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:16 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Oil on your MAF can cause the sensor to run at a higher current by as much as 10% which can cause the MAF to burn out. This is why you should run the engine for a few minutes without the sensor installed after reoiling your filter. Additionally. increasing airflow past the sensor, whether it is a more free flowing fiilter or removing of a screen, can often push the sensor's current flow over the top.

If actual flow past the sensor is the problem, then the only solution is to either reduce the flow or to mechanically reduce the current produced by the flow.

Regular reading of your MAF sensor will tell you if it needs cleaning. If the MAF's value increases under the same conditions, this is telling you it needs a cleaning.

Anyone who wishes to work on their own car should know the normal readings of all sensors on the engine. This makes diagnosis so much easier.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:33 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
My plan is to waste a lot less money and just replace the filters with factory units, allowed to dry for weeks in a hot, dry place I have ..... factory means new from the vendor...no to reoil them myself. I have done that in the past and there is an art to it....it is very, very easy IMHO to over oil.

40$ each (I am using the Vivid unit)....rather a lot cheaper than dealing with MAFs....even if no one has MAF issues with this unit, I am being carefully wasteful if I can be...we shall see. It has only been there for 2 weeks, but with wot, no issues many a time now.

JB

Old 07-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
You need the 2nd gen venturi that holds the factory "waffle" in place and you'll be straight. It's a simple, permanent fix.

Call EVO and have them send you one.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:10 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
get the paper filter(no oil) that solived my prob.. u might try cleaning your old maf before buying a new one good luck

Old 07-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
sell it and buy our intake which has NEVER had a MAF problem!

Old 07-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Trojan: I'm not knocking the Vflow, and I certainly don't want to get another one of those "my product is better than yours" sorts of gunfights going....but it seems that unless you plan on going for some big HP numbers....you're damn near better off leaving the stock unit in there. Sure they come in cool looking CF and have neat looking cone filters, but the HP numbers for the average guy just isn't worth the potential MAF failures that come along....regardless of the claims made that a particular product never causes a MAF failure....just not true.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:30 PM
USCTrojanMan29 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Trojan: I'm not knocking the Vflow, and I certainly don't want to get another one of those "my product is better than yours" sorts of gunfights going....but it seems that unless you plan on going for some big HP numbers....you're damn near better off leaving the stock unit in there. Sure they come in cool looking CF and have neat looking cone filters, but the HP numbers for the average guy just isn't worth the potential MAF failures that come along....regardless of the claims made that a particular product never causes a MAF failure....just not true.
I hear ya...my car is stage 4 so I think I get more marginal benefit of the intake than someone who is just running an exhaust with it.

Old 07-05-2008, 02:25 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I diagree. You can definitely feel the intake.

Either EVO with the waffle fix or Dan's Vivid intake is a good choice.