996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Those with TechArt Front (Auth or Rep) - Scraping?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 01:03 PM
DYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to all
Those with TechArt Front (Auth or Rep) - Scraping?

I'm about to pick up a TechArt front bumper but I'm afraid of gouging or scraping the front badly (probably from PP). My car is dropped on H&R Coilovers and I'm scraping the front lip once in a while as it is. Nothing too serious but the front lip is very forgiving. I would rather not raise the car because the stance is perfect so I thought about fabricating a metal plate for underneath the front part of the bumper.
Those who already have TechArt fronts (preferably dropped)... do you guys have major problems driving around with the front bumper? How much lower is the TA front from the stock? or is it about the same?
I don't want to get a bumper and destroy it so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:17 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
I have the TechArt GTS Type II, but took off the CF lip (after I shattered it) and went with the plastic lip...no problems

Old 07-05-2008, 12:11 PM
DYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to all
^thanks for the post. how low is ur car? i'm wondering cuz my car is very low and i scrape the stock lip once in a while. the techart looks like at least another inch lower than the stock front .

Old 07-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Do you "know" how to drive a lowered car? You should enter and exit driveways as if you were going to park next to the curb.

Not always possible, and a pain, but the technique really works and will definitely prolong the life of the parts that generally scrape.

I once drove my lowered RX7 (which was hopelessly blocked in by some idiot) completely off a 9" curb without scraping.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by ari
Do you "know" how to drive a lowered car? You should enter and exit driveways as if you were going to park next to the curb.
Not always possible, and a pain, but the technique really works and will definitely prolong the life of the parts that generally scrape.
I once drove my lowered RX7 (which was hopelessly blocked in by some idiot) completely off a 9" curb without scraping.
lol yes i know how to drive a lowered car. i've had my fair share of experience with lowered cars, as a matter of fact every car i've owned excluding SUVs have been dropped at least mildly. i remember my e36 M3 dropped on air suspension, that was maybe 2 actual inches off the ground, i remember grinding my teeth everytime i would drive into anything off-level. going in and out of driveways are no problem, tricky but easy so i know exactly what u mean. i'm talking about driving on the road and coming up to unexpected feats. its only happened a handful of times, and honestly i wouldn't care too much cuz that front lip is very forgiving. i'm just worried that since there is no flex lip on the TA like stock. last thing i want to do is destroy a TA bumper. below is a pic just to give u an idea an stance. think a thin black metal shield underneath the bumper will help (that looks like an added splitter)?

Attached Images   
Old 07-06-2008, 12:26 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
ive seen your car before
i was at the cheesecake factory , i think in white plains or westchester, i dont remember
anyway, i saw your car (i remember the black roof. and a bmw m3 was following you.)
car looks great

Old 07-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Hey man, Thanks a lot. Yeah I had met a friend of mine (M3) at Bloomingdale's. I've seen pics of your car before from one of the runs, you've got a great looking car yourself. I was gonna be there but had a change in plans. I'm sure we'll run into each other at one of the runs this summer.
Originally Posted by STEVE KOJASEVIC
ive seen your car before
i was at the cheesecake factory , i think in white plains or westchester, i dont remember
anyway, i saw your car (i remember the black roof. and a bmw m3 was following you.)
car looks great

Old 07-06-2008, 09:58 PM
bumpy, anyone can help me out?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:55 PM
no help at all?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:58 PM
Green Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to beholdGreen Turbo is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by DYL 911
I'm about to pick up a TechArt front bumper but I'm afraid of gouging or scraping the front badly (probably from PP). My car is dropped on H&R Coilovers and I'm scraping the front lip once in a while as it is. Nothing too serious but the front lip is very forgiving. I would rather not raise the car because the stance is perfect so I thought about fabricating a metal plate for underneath the front part of the bumper.
Those who already have TechArt fronts (preferably dropped)... do you guys have major problems driving around with the front bumper? How much lower is the TA front from the stock? or is it about the same?
I don't want to get a bumper and destroy it so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I went through three of the lips when I had my car. I was lowered on JIC Bilstein PSS9. It is very difficult to drive with the tech art front.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:52 AM
basupra is just really nicebasupra is just really nicebasupra is just really nicebasupra is just really nice
I'm lowered about the same as you with H&R's with the TA front as well. I've yet to bottom it out, but it is certainly very low!! Like everyone else has said, you just have to be very careful and aware of anything that you might encounter. The previous owner mjust have hit something though, as I do have a little scrape on the front end.
Also when I was driving the car home, we hit a rabbit somewhere out in the desert and it slightly cracked the clearcoat on the carbon splitter, but honestly I thought it broke it!! It held up really well, I was surprised.

Tim

Old 07-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Anthony 98 GTS is infamous around these parts
.......mine is lowered with Techart coilovers and is very low.....I have the front plastic lip which has scraped a couple of times......but no worse than other lowered cars I drive or have driven....

Old 07-08-2008, 08:42 AM
Billystang is infamous around these parts
plastic lip

where did you guys got the plastic lip?
is it expensive?
i have fiberglass and every six months i have to repaint it and fill it with fiberglass
now i dont use it at all.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:41 AM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ari
I just fell off my chair laughing after reading that!

Suprised nobody has made anything out of Urethane, I had a urethane front bumper on my last car which was slammed, and it held up amazingly, it would bend just like rubber, and as long as you use the right agents in the paint, the paint never cracked.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:55 AM
FLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud ofFLY996 has much to be proud of
I have a TechArt replica front bumper on a C2. Lowered on JIC Coilovers. Initially I had the large lip spoiler. It looked great but due to scraping it only lasted ~30 days. If you get the small lip spoiler it will scrape occasionally but you should be OK. You just have to be extra sensitive as to where you take the car. I found out the hard way last year when it went to the mall on a whim. Up a steep garage embankment and guess what??? Shattered lip and front bumper.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Those with TechArt Front (Auth or Rep) - Scraping?