996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

which dme flash fvd or umw or other

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 04:31 PM
FASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond repute
which dme flash fvd or umw or other

Having just gotten my turbo I'm not familiar with alot of these companies and haven't really gotten any clear answers. I have a stock 05' turbo s that I want tho get the most amount of tq and hp out of by doing only a flash for now. Can any of you veteran 996 turbo guys give me some advice please, Thanks, Greg

Old 07-09-2008, 04:33 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
I went with FVD ... they were local and offered my a good price and they did the install for me.. I would rather have someone install the file for me, then trust myself and my laptop..

Old 07-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
While both of those are good options, I'd add the suggestion of EPL. I've already listed the reasons why I picked them (see the which ECU poll on here).
For your TurboS car, I would add that:
(1) they are relatively local to you,
(2) can give you before and after dyno results (so you don't have to guess how much hp you gained),
(3) can custom tune the car to your liking, and
(4) they tuned the K24 car that won the One Lap of America.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll be happy no matter what road you go down. And you can see where you stack up at the dyno/drag day.
Michael

Old 07-09-2008, 04:51 PM
FASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond reputeFASTLANE has a reputation beyond repute
thanks, just sent a pm

Old 07-09-2008, 04:59 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
My suggestion is before you spend any money on mods, decide where you want to be eventually. This includes how you want to drive (sprints/high end), where you want to drive (Road/track), how much you are willing to spend, proximity to an Indy. That being said...call several tuners and discuss what you want. They are all well informed (Kevin@UMW, Todd@Proto, Todd@EVOMS, Stephen@IA, Tony@EPL, etc). I think talking to them will help you decide who you want to do business with and how to structure your mods. cost effectively (if there is such a thing). Good luck.

I went with Kevin BTW!

Old 07-09-2008, 05:12 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
The only flashes I would consider for a 996TT are:
1) EVOMSit
2) Protomotive
3) UMW

In no particular order.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:35 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LUISGT3
The only flashes I would consider for a 996TT are:
1) EVOMSit
2) Protomotive
3) UMW

In no particular order.
+1 to the big 3!Can't go wrong any of these.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:35 PM
dublinoh is infamous around these partsdublinoh is infamous around these parts
If you just got it...and if you are still under factory warranty...and if you don't really know where you are going with this...and are unsure if you want to track the car...I would say get used to what you have first. But flash is something you will be happy with, I assume you know you have K24 turbos...these can deliver more boost than smaller K16 turbos with more lag as the trade off. Are you going to stay with your stock turbos? If you change them you will need to change the flash. Some tuners suggest that K24s need an exhaust change to really benefit from a flash...are you going to change the exhaust? Also there are combinations of mods that are tried and true...if you begin putting together your own unique combination of mods, the outcome will be less predictable. Talk to different tuners, see if you have any local gurus available, and develope a plan. Then do it a bit at a time or save up to do it all at once. By the way, my favorite mod to date was coilover shocks and lowering. When I first got the car I dismissed that change as totally unnecessary for a non track car...so your feelings about the car are likely to change with time. I choose UMW/Kevin after about a year of reading about others experience. He will help you decide what you want to accomplish...and get you there. First find who you want to work with...and then start the mods with a goal in mind. True if you want minor enhancement or a 800 hp road monster. As I reread this I see that wross996TT said the same thing only quicker LOL.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:11 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
+1 for Kevin.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:19 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Based on your location, I would give EPL a very hard look. Tony is very talented and he will maximize your car's potential with a custom tune vs. an off the shelf tune. It is safer since you will actually know how your car is running at various RPM's and it typically results in more power than an off the shelf tune because it is optimized to your car. In your case, the fact that you can bring the car in and personally talk to the tuner, maybe see some of the tuning in process, etc. is a great plus.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:28 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
Do you consider FVD a off the shelf tune?

Old 07-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by boca996tt
Do you consider FVD a off the shelf tune?
In general Off the Shelf or OTS as its referred to in other markets as a tune that is mail ordered with no special attention to a cars specific hardware.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:42 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Yes and it is very good. I have used it and was extremely pleased with it - but a custom tune typically yields better results. Example - I sold my FVD tune to Elliot and he loved it too. Then he brought his car in to Tony (EPL) for a custom tune and experienced a considerable HP gain, just by cutomizing the tune to his vehicle. IMO, it's the way to go, if you have someone capable near you.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
You own a Porsche - There is no subsitute - UMW

Old 07-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
well after getting some funds back I decided to go with UMW. I have to say, Kevin is very knowledgeable and is also very conservative in the start of your tuning. His biggest concern was blowing the heads off my car. Several other tuners I spoke with did not mention anything about my altitude being an issue. Kevin was the only one to bring it up without me asking about it. I am currently working on a kit with him and I have no doubt that he will not allow my motor to grenade. It may take some time to hone my tune down, but when we are done it should be great and since I went with the latest GT2 compressors (and zero clearence), I have a 100% upgradable kit.

I cannot speak for anyone elses tune as I have not used them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: which dme flash fvd or umw or other